News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

Fall Weekend Get Away Ideas
« on: July 22, 2008, 10:09:01 PM »
My fiance and I would like to go to a place in the fall for a 3 day weekend.  We live in South Jersey.  Any ideas where there is good golf, some good food, and activities that is no more than 5 hours away? I was thinking Greenbrier but would like other ideas too.

Phil McDade

Re: Fall Weekend Get Away Ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 10:24:00 PM »
Rick:

Bedford Springs is not far off the PA. Turnpike, and probably within the 5-hour range. Folks on GCA have raved about the restoration there -- both the course (a Ross original) and the hotel/environs. Do a search of "Bedford Springs" with the discussion board search function and you'll come across a bunch of threads w/ some pics. Ron Forse headed up the restoration to much acclaim.

I have not played it, but I can attest to the beauty of Pennsylvania in the fall; not too many better places.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 10:32:58 PM »
Colonial Williamsburg - 5 hrs 28 minutes according to Mapquest.com (http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Medford&1s=NJ&2c=Williamsburg&2s=VA) and they are always slow pokes.  314 miles on I-95? Give me a break.

Lots of good golf here, including two Mike Stranz early adventures (Royal New Kent and Stonehouse), these are closer to I-95.  You've also got some good golf in Williamsburg proper, plus good lodging choices and a lot of history.

Here's a Williamsburg travel link with a list of golf courses:

http://www.williamsburgtravel.com/williamsburggolfinfo.htm

This area is spectacular in the fall, and doesn't really get chilly until after Thanksgiving.

David Stamm

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 11:19:40 PM »
The Homestead would be ideal to me. I used to live in Virginia many moons ago and it's spectacular there in the Autumn.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back