News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Only One Course For Life
« on: July 22, 2008, 03:52:57 PM »
This topic has probably been debated before; if so, forgive me.  But if you could only play one course for the rest of your life, what would it be? I haven't played nearly as many courses as others here, but of the courses I've played, it would be a toss up between Merion and Winged Foot West, and I'd pick WFW if forced to make the choice -- although I'd probably say something different tomorrow.  I'm partial to parksland courses; love WFW's greens and the overall challenge presented by the course; and am not too proud to play shorter tees when looking for an easier round. 

George Pazin

Re: Only One Course For Life
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 04:10:24 PM »
This has indeed been discussed many times, but no harm in bringing it up again.

The reason I'm posting, however, is that you are the first person I can remember who chose a ballbuster type course as his "1 course for life" course.

I don't know which course I'd pick, but I do know it wouldn't be desert golf, canyon golf, or mountain golf.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Sean Leary

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 04:15:29 PM »
Merion. Especially if the fairways were widened a bit. Unreal course, fast pace of play, few lost balls, tremendous challenge.

May not be the best, but it is the one I would want to play every day.

Jfaspen

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 04:38:22 PM »
Probably Sand Hills.. For the Beauty, Strategy and the variety of conditions you'd see on a weekly basis..

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 05:32:19 PM »
No question for me, the Valley Club of Montecito in Santa Barbara.

What's bad weather?  What's hot weather?

Just renovated/restored, I'd guess for a long time to come.  All the greens and bunkers restored to original aerials and even replanted a lost tree.  :o

It's the ultimate easy to walk, fun to play, Mackenzie member course.

Patrick Boyd

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 05:55:53 PM »
Cypress Point....the weather is nearly perfect year around, it drains like a sieve, is completely private/understated and NEVER busy.

The only course that comes to my mind as being better is Sand Hills, but I wouldn't want to be hanging out in Mullen, NE for the rest of my life....I'd never want to leave Monterrey, CA.

You really have to wonder what that place, and Monterrey, CA golf would be like in general if Raynor lived to complete the pending projects he was working on at the time of his death.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 05:57:21 PM »
Of the courses I have played, Chambers Bay.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Chuck Brown

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 06:12:04 PM »
The Old Course.

Then, Muirfield.

Those two are as clear of the rest of the field as I can imagine.

Here in Michigan, I can think of two great everday golf courses.  Crystal Downs and Franklin Hills.  I would easily choose Franklin over Oakland Hills (South), (about 15 minutes away) although I can understand that others might not.

Kyle Christensen

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 06:24:44 PM »
Camargo. When that question comes up with my buddies this is always my answer. Easy to walk, great greens and just a fun golf course. 

David Stamm

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 06:30:14 PM »
Cypress Point Club

"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Daryl David

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 06:30:59 PM »
One for each side of the pond:  North Berwick and Ballyneal

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 06:35:23 PM »
David, you're a cheater.  He said ONE course.  ;)

As for me, I'm not sure this wouldn't be a form of hell.  Variety is the spice of life and golf.

But if forced into this hell, rather than quit the game, well... I suppose give me Cypress Point as well.  It's close to home and I don't want to move, and yes, the weather does tend to work year-round, which for me would be the #1 requirement.

TH

Daryl David

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 06:37:26 PM »
I figured I would need two depending on which side of the Atlantic I died on.   ;D

Daryl

C. Squier

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 06:58:54 PM »
For having never seen the place, I'd guess I'd be pretty darn content to play Cypress Point for the rest of my life.  Heck, I've already worn out Shack's book on it, so I think I may know my way around just on memory.....someday, if I'm lucky.   

But if we're drawing from places we've played, I'll say Shoreacres.  Being from Chicago and debating area courses with others, people love it or hate it.  The critics say its too short, too small, can't play a championship there.  WHO CARES!  Its 6400 yards of pure fun and I think one can age gracefully there and always enjoy the course.  I don't want to be 80 years old slogging around a 7300 yard ballbuster.  I think SA provides a great test that can be scored well on. 

Carl Nichols

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 07:21:41 PM »
Clint:  I love Shoreacres too.  But not quite as much as WFW and Merion. 

Since I'm limiting myself to courses I've played, I can't include Cypress on my list.  Hopefully that'll change someday!

Tim Leahy

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 07:42:36 PM »
Pebble Beach,
but if it were my fantasy for life, it would be all the courses on 17 mile drive, now that would be heaven!
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 07:45:55 PM »
I'll add much to the discussion...by adding another vote for Cypress Point. Although, Pebble Beach and Chambers Bay would be my 2nd and 3rd votes and I'd be very happy at either place as well.

Gerry B

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 08:46:36 PM »

chicago golf club or myopia hunt club -because as i get into the golden years they will both be playable as i lose distance

J_ Crisham

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 09:18:59 PM »
Shoreacres would get the nod for me over Portrush. Not sure if I could handle the weather in the North of Ireland the rest of my life. Chicago weather is a challenge enough. Jack

CJ Carder

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 09:55:34 PM »
The Old Course.

Then, Muirfield.

Stole my answer!   :)  Though I would have an awfully hard time turning down Muirfield.  I'm sure this is one of those situations where my answer might vary on any given day as I really like the privacy and intimacy that Muirfield offers, but TOC I think has more variety.  And it'd be damn hard to play Muirfield backwards!

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2008, 10:02:35 PM »
Bandon Trails

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2008, 10:06:00 PM »
Of courses I have played....Pacific Dunes...I always tell my wife that if the business goes to hell, she divorces me, etc. I am moving to Bandon to caddy or be a dune monkey so I can be on the courses all of my days.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2008, 10:25:39 PM »
Yeamans Hall in Charleston, SC.  Perfect conditions, lots of interest, especially around the greens.  You could play with one golf ball for the rest of your life. Good weather, lots of sun and wind, secluded, perfect golf club atmosphere.  It's hard to find anything better.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2008, 10:29:32 PM »
EGADS, YOU DOLTS,  HOW COULD YOU EXCLUDE NGLA ?

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 07:07:34 AM »
Of the courses I've played I would be happy playing North Berwick for the rest of my life.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back