News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Connor

Re: Steepest Cart Paths?
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2008, 04:48:17 PM »
#14, The Mountain Club, Rawlings MD  (now Fore Sisters) in the Appalachians.

Short par 4, the tee shot is over a very deep ravine.  So you have to drive straight down, then back up the ravine.  It feels like you're driving straight down.

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Dan Kelly

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2008, 04:53:46 PM »
Jeff --

If you think steep cart paths can be frightening for golfers ... can you imagine how scary they are for small rodents?

Dan

If that had been on a steep slope, that suicidal squirrel would have saved me the grief.  He could have simply thrown himself off a nearby cliff rather than run under my cart wheels. >:(

I thought it was a chipmunk -- but after you were finished with it, who could tell for sure?

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2008, 05:22:40 PM »
Jeff --

If you think steep cart paths can be frightening for golfers ... can you imagine how scary they are for small rodents?

Dan

If that had been on a steep slope, that suicidal squirrel would have saved me the grief.  He could have simply thrown himself off a nearby cliff rather than run under my cart wheels. >:(

I thought it was a chipmunk -- but after you were finished with it, who could tell for sure?

Chipmunk, Squirrel, whats the difference.....neither is an endangered species, but only because I play golf so rarely these days. :D
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

mike_beene

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2008, 07:32:09 PM »
For  one close to home,the 13th (the drop shot par 3) at Possum Kingdom is the steepest I have seen.Switch backs,speed bumps and lots of screeches.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2008, 07:46:32 PM »
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 08:11:33 AM by Dan Herrmann »

Jeff Tang

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2008, 10:11:47 PM »
I agree with Doug above who said the 12th at Black Mesa.  Specifically going from the 11th green to the 12th tee there's a hill you drive up, peak, and then drive straight down, it's very steep and I did feel like the cart was slipping.  I rode by myself my first round there and then had my buddy in my cart the second time around and the extra weight seemed to help for some reason with another person in the cart and it didn't seem to slip as badly that time down the hill.
So bad it's good!

Eric Johnson

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2008, 08:09:58 AM »
Oregon Golf Club down from #7 tee, #12 down from the tee and up to the green and down #18 tee to the fairway.

Anyone have pics? 

Dan Kelly

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2008, 09:55:39 AM »
Chipmunk, Squirrel, whats the difference.....neither is an endangered species, but only because I play golf so rarely these days. :D

In this business, at this time, in this economy ...

Is the Golf Course Architect an Endangered Species?

Or merely Threatened?
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2008, 10:09:34 AM »

In this business, at this time, in this economy ...

Is the Golf Course Architect an Endangered Species?

Or merely Threatened?

Some sub species are doing quite well.  For example, the "golf architectus celebritus" is still doing well, as are the "golf architectus chinesis" which are flourishing.  The various pygmy (small) golf architectus species seem to be dwindling out with reports of some becoming extinct.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Bruce Leland

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2008, 12:03:12 PM »
Back to topic.....Wild Rock (Hurdzan/Fry) Wisconsin Dells, WI has some very steep drops and climbs.  As an interesting aside, I was told by the Dir. of Golf that the owner bought the piece of property virtually sight unseen.  Beautiful parcel with great movement but not one you want to walk and carry.
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2008, 03:12:08 PM »
While Lake Chabot #18 and Wente #10 exhibit extreme changes in elevation, the zig-zag nature of those cart paths prevent them from being as steep (%) as #1 Wente. That one drops straight down.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Patrick Schultheis

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2008, 07:13:25 PM »
The descent from the 17th tee to the fairway at the Experience at Koele on Lanai is incredibly steep.

A scenic hole on an otherwise bland course

Scott Stambaugh

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2008, 10:43:07 PM »
Zig Zag- The climb up/down to the tee on #11 at Carmel Valley Ranch.

Straight up/down- The climb up/down to the tee on #14 at Hiddenbrooke GC in Vallejo.  Surprised no one hasn't died on this one.

Scott

Randy Thompson

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2008, 12:31:25 AM »
Mike,
 I was gonna ask Jeff is he had ever played anywhere with a cart path worst then that par three at possum kingdom you mentioned, I believe it is the fifteenth hole not the 13 and the third hole also a par three is also a roller coaster ride but not as hairy as the fifteenth for sure. It gets my vote but I have not seen as many courses as Jeff. So Jeff...what is the hairest or steepest you have seen?

Sean McCue

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2008, 09:21:53 PM »
Here is one that might make you a little nervous.  The “Cliff” as it is know at The Country Club at Castle Pines has some of the most spectacular views around.  This is the last impression that both members and guest alike have while driving up the cliff from #18 to the clubhouse.  The cart path is nearly 1/3 of mile long with a series of switch backs that climbs up over 300ft.   

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/4450/cliffcx6.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

The view looking back
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/9038/lookingdownku5.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

The View from of path shown with red line from #18 fairway

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/2043/cliffpathhk2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Be sure to vist my blog at www.cccpgcm.blogspot.com
Be sure to visit my blog at www.cccpgcm.blogspot.com and follow me on twitter @skmqu

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2008, 09:24:27 PM »
William Flynn's virtual cliffside 77 yard par three 7th hole at Pocono Manor East.

There are also a few at Fernwood in the Poconos, which is another course that should be added to the termination list.  ;)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2008, 09:32:30 PM »
There are some doozies at Broad Run in West Chester, PA (Rees Jones).  Like this one coming down the hill from the 4th tee box.  Thank goodness they went with the switchback and not straight down the hill w/ speed bumps!

This looks uncomfortably like the view from the bottom of Lombard Street in San Francisco!  :o

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2008, 11:20:07 PM »
Rancho Mañana, Cave Creek, AZ.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2008, 06:35:46 AM »
Here's another one-the 4th, a drop shot par3- at Olde Homestead in New Tripoli, PA near Allentown:

www.oldehomesteadgolfclub.com/courses/18hole_nav.lasso?hole=4
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tim Bert

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2008, 08:19:04 AM »

This looks uncomfortably like the view from the bottom of Lombard Street in San Francisco!  :o

That's the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the picture...

Tom Yost

« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2008, 01:23:17 PM »
Rancho Mañana, Cave Creek, AZ.

Ha!  Must be a Bill Johnson thing...   I recall the Pointe GC at Lookout Mountain has a pretty crazy descent from the 9th green down to the 10th tee and on down to the 10th fairway.

Tom

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2008, 01:28:18 PM »
Sorry to disappoint you, Tom. Lookout Mountain was my work. Bill J. had construction and some design responsibilities after we got started. That path, by the way, was engineered by a civil engineer...so I defer to their expertise.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 01:53:55 PM by Forrest Richardson »
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2008, 01:34:37 PM »
Forrest,
How steep was the path between the 4th and 5th at Foulpointe, or do I have my hole mixed up?

Tom Yost

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2008, 01:46:06 PM »
Sorry to disappoint you, Tom. Lookout Mountain was my work. Bill J. had construction and a some design responsibilities after we got started. That path, by the way, was engineered by a civil engineer...so I defer to their expertise.

Not disappointed at all, but sorry about the mis-attribution! 

It has been many years since I've played up there, I need to visit again.   That is one heck of a cart path!!

Tom

Paul Nash

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2008, 03:55:41 AM »
The path from 17 to 18 at Manor House, Castle Combe, near Bath, is pretty steep, especially when walking!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back