News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Brauer

Steepest Cart Paths?
« on: July 15, 2008, 10:17:05 AM »
What holes have you played that stick out as having the steepest cart paths?  Have you ever felt unsafe going down a hill? 

Thanks in advance.......
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Kirk Gill

Re: Steepest Cart Paths?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 10:29:42 AM »
The two cart paths that come immediately to mind are on the 13th at Arrowhead, and the path coming over the hogback at Ravenna. They're both very steep, but I have to say I've never felt in danger riding either of them. I've only played Ravenna once, and I rode, and crossing over and back was actually kinda fun, although the cart didn't seem to enjoy carrying my bulk UP those hills. I've walked a few times in the past at Arrowhead, and I've honestly felt more uncomfortable walking down the path at 13 than driving, especially if there was some gravel on the path, as there commonly would be. It'd just be too easy for your feet to slip out from under you...What do the cart manufacturers say is the steepest grade recommended for their use?
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Doug Ralston

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 10:34:21 AM »
Easy!

When Eagle Ridge [Yatesville Lake State Park, KY] was built, they had a series of concrete cartpaths up and down those mountains with enough concrete to revamp the Great Wall. On holes #2, #3, #4, and #13 especially, the were forced to remake traverses when the State described them: " ........ would have frightened the Jamaican bobsled team!" They described the only other alternative as 'building golf lifts'. Even today, with all the traverses, some of those are quite steep, and grooves have been added for traction in wet weather.

Great course, wild landform, heartpounding ride.

Doug

Matt_Ward

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 10:35:32 AM »
Jeff:

I'll jump in now before the hordes of anti-Wolf Creek (NV) people opine. Clearly has some steep drops and major turns. Could be the site for the next James Bond movie chase scene !!!

The ride from the 13th green to the 14th tee is akin to the feeling of ascent you get on any major rollarcoaster -- your neck will be looking upwards to the sky itself !!!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 10:41:44 AM »
Jeff - for what this is worth, just the other day I was talking to a friend who builds sets (mostly for commercial shoots). He'd built a ramp for carts to roll down. It was at a 45 degree angle, and he said that even the experienced stuntmen were glaring at him -- sitting in a cart on top of the platform, at that angle it looked to them like they were about to go over the edge of a cliff.

Peter 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 10:44:24 AM by Peter Pallotta »

Jason Topp

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 10:42:12 AM »
Matt is correct:  Wolf Creek

Speed bumps and you sign a waiver.     

Ventana Canyon Mountain is an example of a course with pretty steep twisting paths that I find fun to drive.  I consider that course my top cart driving course.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 11:13:11 AM »
North Western Pennsylvania, not too far from Oil City, a course called Hunter Station. I was actually SCARED going down the hill, it was super steep!

Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Dan Kelly

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 11:20:21 AM »
Matt is correct

I just thought this ought to be preserved, for the historical record.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 12:03:07 PM »
Jeff

Several on the back nine of Dye Fore at Casa de Campo, I think 15 in particular, were doozies -- and I've got x-rays (really) to prove it!

Orthopedically,
Mark

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 12:21:02 PM »
18th hole at Lake Chabot in Oakland, CA.

Its so steep they had to wind the path zigzag style down the hill just to keep it half way sane.

George Pazin

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 12:25:52 PM »
Matt is correct:  Wolf Creek

Speed bumps and you sign a waiver.

It would disappoint Matt if I didn't respond, so I'll echo my fellow anti-WCer Jason.

Here's my new marketing slogan for WC:

Golf the way it oughta be - with speed bumps and waivers!

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 12:29:22 PM »
The path from the clubhouse to the first tee at Hanah GC, in Margaretville, NY  is a 30% grade.  It's about 1,700'at the clubhouse and 1,400' on the valley floor, where 14 of the 18 holes are located.
They have big stacks of car tires on the outside corners, along with fencing, and it's not unusual to see a crashed cart. This ride should be in an amusement park, you can get the girls screaming on this one.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tim Leahy

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 12:38:56 PM »
Wente Bros golf course in Livermore, Ca, 10 th hole, biggest change in elevation I can think of, you are going uphill but if you had to go down, look out.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

David_Tepper

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 12:47:19 PM »
Tehama (on the Monterey Peninsula) has some of the scariest cart paths I have ever seen.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 12:54:59 PM »
There are some doozies at Broad Run in West Chester, PA (Rees Jones).  Like this one coming down the hill from the 4th tee box.  Thank goodness they went with the switchback and not straight down the hill w/ speed bumps!

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Ken Moum

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 01:09:35 PM »
What holes have you played that stick out as having the steepest cart paths?  Have you ever felt unsafe going down a hill? 

Thanks in advance.......

The one up to the back tee on #7 at Colbert is bit unnerving, if you ask me.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Dan Kelly

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 01:15:20 PM »
Jeff --

If you think steep cart paths can be frightening for golfers ... can you imagine how scary they are for small rodents?

Dan
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 01:15:36 PM »
Jeff:

I'll jump in now before the hordes of anti-Wolf Creek (NV) people opine. Clearly has some steep drops and major turns. Could be the site for the next James Bond movie chase scene !!!

The ride from the 13th green to the 14th tee is akin to the feeling of ascent you get on any major rollarcoaster -- your neck will be looking upwards to the sky itself !!!

Once again, Matt is 100% correct. The scariest cart paths anywhere I have ever played.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 01:19:13 PM »
Jeff --

If you think steep cart paths can be frightening for golfers ... can you imagine how scary they are for small rodents?

Dan

Especially if they're carrying their own bags...

Peter

John Keenan

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 01:23:23 PM »
Not sure which is worse Chabot or Wolf Creek for steepness. The 18th at  Chabot is a Par 6.

I tend to think Wolf Creek is the steeper of the two but both are a good test of your cart driving skills
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 01:54:23 PM »
The 12th hole at Mountain View. The only area in Boring, Oregon which is not boring.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 02:06:13 PM »
The Badlands holes at Bully Pulpit.

#7 at Old Works

From 16 green to 17 tee at The Hideout, M. UT
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 03:51:46 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 02:54:56 PM »
Jeff --

Dan

If that had been on a steep slope, that suicidal squirrel would have saved me the grief.  He could have simply thrown himself off a nearby cliff rather than run under my cart wheels. >:(
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Doug_Feeney

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2008, 03:39:33 PM »
My memories of Sanctuary in CO are of ridiculous ups and downs...no doubt accentuated by my friend who worked there who had figured out how to "override" the governor on the cart by tapping rapidly on the pedal  :o

Doug Wright

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2008, 04:41:18 PM »
The first hole at Sanctuary for sure. It gets you "braced" for the round right away [emoticon omitted in deference to Dan Kelly]. I also recall being terrified riding down the steep path from the tee at Black Mesa #12. I believe the path was dirt and the wheels started skidding....
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back