News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Nugent

Re: Hole by hole drawing of Merion: 1930 US Amateur
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2008, 12:18:51 AM »
If Doak reads this thread: can a Redan green slope back to front? 

Philip, who called it a Redan when Sayers was there, and did Sayers consider that a big deal?  CBM apparently called it that, but did anyone else? 

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2008, 12:29:42 AM »
Jim,

Without looking it up, and I'm sure if I'm off by a year, two or twenty it will definitely be corrected on this one, Ben Sayers of North Berwick and the home of the Redan that everyone attempts to copy came to the U.S. in 1914, visiting his son who had already taken the job at Merion.

By this time the articles had been written describing the various holes as Redan, Alps, etc...

Now you asked "Did Sayers consider that a big deal?" There is no way of knowing, though I can't imagine him not 'wondering aloud' what they may have been talking about especially upon hearing that the hole was patterned upon the famed Redan from his very own course. That there was nothing written nor, even more importantly, a stoppage in refering to it that way, says to me that Mr. Sayres must have seen something of the Redan in it.

Conjecture? Yes. Reasonable? I believe so.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2008, 03:17:45 AM »
Philip, you're indicating the Redan name for #3 was widespread.  Exactly how widespread was it?  Which architectural experts, articles, etc. called the hole Redan?  I've read that CBM did, at least once.  Who or what else did? 

I'm also interested in knowing the same info about the alleged Alps hole there. 

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2008, 04:00:08 AM »
One gets the sense that the name "Redan" was only widespread for a short period of time with CBM and Raynor working.  Of course, because of their errors we today have loads of folks running around mis-labelling Redans.  I wonder how many holes were actually called "Redan".

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Blackmoor, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend & Alnmouth

Willie_Dow

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2008, 08:13:46 AM »
Joe

The reason I asked the question about an aerial view of the 2nd hole was to verify a ditch or something to the left of the low ground where the stream crosses in front of the tee.  It might be a good location for catch basin.

DMoriarty

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2008, 02:24:19 AM »
Interesting that the two bunkers blocking the creek on the left side of 5 and the two bunkers between the creek and green short of the 4th green weren't there at time of drawing.  (actually, look how close the 4th green came to the creek...hint hint!!  ;))

While there were no bunkers, I do not believe the 4th green originally extended all the way to the creek.  There was apparently a small strip of rough or grass in between the creek bed and the green. 

I think these drawings depict it best, but it's amazing how omnipresent the OB is at Merion and also how the angle at which the OB attacks the hole (i.e. 6, 8, 14) varies.
Kyle,

The extensive use of out-of-bounds fascinates me as well.  Along with the creeks and ground slope, out-of-bounds was a key strategic component of the early course.   This was readily apparent on a hole you do not mention, the 7th. 

Here is the eventual 1916 Amateur Champion, Chick Evans, on the 7th (then the 4th) in that tournament.  He has hugged the out-of-bounds on the far right, and may have laid back a bit.    This prevented him from running down the hill to the left, and left him perfect angle for approach. 

Here is a photo of the same hole at the same tournament, taken from a less desirable angle of approach. Bobby Jones, age 14, was hitting out of the green-side bunker in a match against the defending Amateur Champion, Robert Gardner.  Notice that short grass extends well to the left, thus offering the golfer a much less demanding route from the tee, but at the cost of a difficult angle over a bunker to an uphill green, with more bunkers and out of bounds beyond.

While it looks different because of the lack of trees, I think this may also be the 7th, with the same golfer, only older, teeing off.   What a frightening tee shot that would have been with those bright stakes only feet away from the ideal target.

The commentary is interesting. Almost every line is about how hard ME is, how errant shots are punished, how this or that requires perfect execution, etc. After a while you might start to think ME is a good working model of a "penal" course. Hmmm.

I think the tone of the article said more about the zealousness of the author and very little about the true nature of the course.   The early Merion appears to have been very strategic.  See the discussion of 7, above, for example.

My other thought is that only someone who had never seen a Redan would think the third was a Redan. Hmmm again.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that A. H. Findlay, C. B. Macdonald, and  H. J. Whigham (to name just three) were all very familiar with the Redan.   And please pardon the expression, but do you really think that the esteemed Robert Lesley did not know his Redan from a hole in the ground?   That would have been unfortunate, considering he was on Merion's Site Committee and was chairman of Merion's Golf Committee.

With all due respect, I'll go with the assessments of those who were there over yours and everyone else's on this website.   To fail to accept their words and descriptions would be inexcusable arrogance on my part.

Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

DMoriarty

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2008, 02:28:22 AM »
Joe

I wonder what that stream is on the left of the 2nd hole ?  Does this show up on any ariels ?

There is some low ground in there, which may have been filled in over time.

Mr. Dow,

One thing disorienting about these drawings is that they only show the featured holes and not the surrounding ones.  I say this because I think that the stream shown to the left of the second hole is actually the stream which borders the left side of the 5th hole, but while the stream is shown, the 5th hole is not shown in the drawing.   

As for how they fit together, note that the same two trees appear to be drawn in both the diagrams, to the left of the 2nd fairway and to the right of the 5th.  Also, the same sliver shaped feature is visible in both diagrams, left of the 2nd fairway and right of the 5th fairway, possibly to keep drives on five from running into the 2nd fairway. 

It is plainly obvious that Merion's 3rd fails to meet certain criteria which evidently the "most notable architects of the time" failed to perceive or chose to ignore. 

Or maybe they fully understood the intricacies of the real Redan as well or better than you or I ever could, but rather than focusing on slavishly duplicating every detail of the original, they attempted to apply the general underlying strategic concepts of the original as best they could on the ground they were given.

That at least appears to have been what Macdonald and Whigham were doing at the time.   Here is the concluding paragraph from their July 1914 Golf Illustrated article, "The Redan Hole at National Golf Links," with my emphasis added:

"There are several Redans to be found nowadays on American courses. There is a simplified Redan at Piping Rock, a reversed Redan at Merion Cricket Club (the green being approached from the left hand end of the tableland) and another reversed Redan at Sleepy Hollow where the tee instead of being aboutlevel with the green is much higher. A beautiful short hole with the Redan principle will be found on the new Philadelphia course at Pine Valley. Here also the tee is higher than the hole, so that the playeroverlooks the tableland. The principle can be used with an infinite number of variations on any course. In reality there are only about four or five kinds of good holes in golf. The local scenery supplies the variety. Here is one of the four or five perfect kinds. The principle of the Redan cannot be improved upon for a hole of 180 yards."

So, contrary to his undeserved reputation for dogmatically churning out exact replicas of a few favored holes and working against the constraints of nature, Macdonald was attempting to apply the basic strategic concepts where, and to the extent that they fit within the natural specificity of the site.

I find it ironic that many here blast Macdonald for forcing his supposed templates onto the land, even it means the creation of unnatural, ill-fitting, and awkward holes.  Yet many of the same also criticize Macdonald when his supposed templates really do not slavishly conform to YOUR CRITERIA for what a Redan or an Alps or a Road must be in order to be considered legitimate, authentic, or proper.

And Macdonald was the dogmatic and arrogant one? 

The Redan at The Country Club meets none of the criteria for a Redan. It is a short hole from an elevated tee to a small green. Whatever notable architect designed it or renovated it or preserved it, took some serious liberties.

Anthony

I have never seen anything that even suggests that the hole called "Redan" at the Country Club was at all based on the "Redan" at North Berwick.  In fact, if I recall correctly, while the was called a "redan" it was reportedly based on an entirely different hole at an entirely different course.

Also, this hole was in existence before C.B.M. built NGLA, and may have been in existence before C.B.M. ever tried to incorporate the concept into any of his designs. 

So I think it a mistake to let this one anomaly confuse the issue.   The CC Redan had nothing to do with the original or any of C.B.M's.

Anthony -

As Jim notes, there are many misnamed Redans. Some still call the 6th at ANGC a Redan. It might have been a funky version of a Redan in its early days, but it's not one now.

There may be many holes now which you would consider to be "misnamed"  but I have found little evidence that this was the case around the time Merion was built.   There was the hole at the Country Club.   The only other American references to the hole that I have seen all relate to C.B.M. holes, and he is pretty explicit about how he understood and applied the concepts . . . The principle can be used with an infinite number of variations on any course . . .

One gets the sense that the name "Redan" was only widespread for a short period of time with CBM and Raynor working.  Of course, because of their errors we today have loads of folks running around mis-labelling Redans.  I wonder how many holes were actually called "Redan".

Ciao

Errors?  I understand why under your criteria you do not consider many of these holes to be Redans, but don't you think it a bit much to pronounce that those who were there were in "error" for thinking differently?    C.B.M. used the term "Redan" differently than you.  I find his way of looking at the issue to be much more relevant and informative than what I perceive to be your way of looking at the issue.

I don't remember.   Do you consider NGLA's Redan to be a real Redan?  Do you consider any reverse Redan to be real Redan?   Is there any other hole you would ever describe as a Redan other than the Redan? 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 03:14:07 AM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2008, 04:15:41 AM »
David, where did Findlay call #3 at Merion a Redan?

Sean_A

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2008, 04:46:05 AM »
Joe

I wonder what that stream is on the left of the 2nd hole ?  Does this show up on any ariels ?

There is some low ground in there, which may have been filled in over time.

Mr. Dow,

One thing disorienting about these drawings is that they only show the featured holes and not the surrounding ones.  I say this because I think that the stream shown to the left of the second hole is actually the stream which borders the left side of the 5th hole, but while the stream is shown, the 5th hole is not shown in the drawing.   

As for how they fit together, note that the same two trees appear to be drawn in both the diagrams, to the left of the 2nd fairway and to the right of the 5th.  Also, the same sliver shaped feature is visible in both diagrams, left of the 2nd fairway and right of the 5th fairway, possibly to keep drives on five from running into the 2nd fairway. 

It is plainly obvious that Merion's 3rd fails to meet certain criteria which evidently the "most notable architects of the time" failed to perceive or chose to ignore. 

Or maybe they fully understood the intricacies of the real Redan as well or better than you or I ever could, but rather than focusing on slavishly duplicating every detail of the original, they attempted to apply the general underlying strategic concepts of the original as best they could on the ground they were given.

That at least appears to have been what Macdonald and Whigham were doing at the time.   Here is the concluding paragraph from their July 1914 Golf Illustrated article, "The Redan Hole at National Golf Links," with my emphasis added:

"There are several Redans to be found nowadays on American courses. There is a simplified Redan at Piping Rock, a reversed Redan at Merion Cricket Club (the green being approached from the left hand end of the tableland) and another reversed Redan at Sleepy Hollow where the tee instead of being aboutlevel with the green is much higher. A beautiful short hole with the Redan principle will be found on the new Philadelphia course at Pine Valley. Here also the tee is higher than the hole, so that the playeroverlooks the tableland. The principle can be used with an infinite number of variations on any course. In reality there are only about four or five kinds of good holes in golf. The local scenery supplies the variety. Here is one of the four or five perfect kinds. The principle of the Redan cannot be improved upon for a hole of 180 yards."

So, contrary to his undeserved reputation for dogmatically churning out exact replicas of a few favored holes and working against the constraints of nature, Macdonald was attempting to apply the basic strategic concepts where, and to the extent that they fit within the natural specificity of the site.

I find it ironic that many here blast Macdonald for forcing his supposed templates onto the land, even it means the creation of unnatural, ill-fitting, and awkward holes.  Yet many of the same also criticize Macdonald when his supposed templates really do not slavishly conform to YOUR CRITERIA for what a Redan or an Alps or a Road must be in order to be considered legitimate, authentic, or proper.

And Macdonald was the dogmatic and arrogant one? 

The Redan at The Country Club meets none of the criteria for a Redan. It is a short hole from an elevated tee to a small green. Whatever notable architect designed it or renovated it or preserved it, took some serious liberties.

Anthony

I have never seen anything that even suggests that the hole called "Redan" at the Country Club was at all based on the "Redan" at North Berwick.  In fact, if I recall correctly, while the was called a "redan" it was reportedly based on an entirely different hole at an entirely different course.

Also, this hole was in existence before C.B.M. built NGLA, and may have been in existence before C.B.M. ever tried to incorporate the concept into any of his designs. 

So I think it a mistake to let this one anomaly confuse the issue.   The CC Redan had nothing to do with the original or any of C.B.M's.

Anthony -

As Jim notes, there are many misnamed Redans. Some still call the 6th at ANGC a Redan. It might have been a funky version of a Redan in its early days, but it's not one now.

There may be many holes now which you would consider to be "misnamed"  but I have found little evidence that this was the case around the time Merion was built.   There was the hole at the Country Club.   The only other American references to the hole that I have seen all relate to C.B.M. holes, and he is pretty explicit about how he understood and applied the concepts . . . The principle can be used with an infinite number of variations on any course . . .

Ciao

Errors?  I understand why under your criteria you do not consider many of these holes to be Redans, but don't you think it a bit much to pronounce that those who were there were in "error" for thinking differently?    C.B.M. used the term "Redan" differently than you.  I find his way of looking at the issue to be much more relevant and informative than what I perceive to be your way of looking at the issue.

I don't remember.   Do you consider NGLA's Redan to be a real Redan?  Do you consider any reverse Redan to be real Redan?   Is there any other hole you would ever describe as a Redan other than the Redan? 

David

The real crux of the issue is the determination of the major principles of a Redan.  As the Redan has historically been described as a hole which can be played by flighting a shot to bounce into the green, I consider this to be a major design principle.  I would like to see you bounce one into Merion's 3rd.  This may have been a principle which CB Mac didn't think important.  I strongly disagree and it has nothing to do with arrogance as you charitably suggest.  Other principle design elements would include:

-Front to back sloping green which also slopes from one side or the other - both concepts to encourage use of the slopes for the bounce in

- Danger left and right, there needn't be danger immediately short of the green because the shape of the green is protection enough from this line of play

-Slightly uphill - the combination of this with the green and its surrounds somewhat conceals the line of play for a bounce in shot

I understand that some may disagree with my interpretation of a Redan.  However, if one is going to call a hole a Redan I would have thought it reasonable that main principles of the design were included.  There are plenty of ways to describe a hole.  If a namesake is going to be used, imo, for clarity and ease of understanding, it is best that the hole in question actually display the principles of the namesake. 

Ciao

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Blackmoor, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend & Alnmouth

BCrosby

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2008, 07:57:15 AM »
David -

Yes, it's just lil' 'ole Sean, Jim and Bob wondering what is Redanish about the 3rd. Just three bozos and the only thing they have on their side is what they see.

Tell us what you see. Don't make your argument from authority. Tell us what you see.

If I might be so bold, sometimes the authorities are wrong.

That is what your Merion essay is about, no?

Bob
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 08:01:06 AM by BCrosby »

TEPaul

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2008, 08:22:22 AM »
For the life of me I just cannot understand why in the world these arguments about whether Merion's #3 is a real redan or if it isn't go on and on and on over the years on here.

If you think Merion's 3rd looks like a redan then call it a redan---if you don't think it looks like a redan then don't call it a redan.

What difference does it really make if some back then were loose with what they said about certain holes and called them.

The fact is Merion's 3rd is basically just the way it's always been since it was built.

Macdonald himself who pioneered this type of named holes from abroad said he was using the principles or primary characteristics of those famous holes from abroad and not trying to exactly copy them everytime.

Interestingly, Macdonald also said back then that some from abroad were acting like he was attempting to actually physically steal those holes and carry them over here. ;) It seems like nothing has changed in 100 years. You boys over there should have patented the damn names if you really are all that concerned about what they're being used to describe over here.

Merion's 3rd hole just is what it is----let it go, would you please?   :) :P

Chris Cupit

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2008, 08:57:02 AM »
Maybe some are overly generous in using the term "redan" and others are a bit dogmatic about it.

When building a "redan type hole" at my course I relied not only on experience but also the book "Bunkers, Pits & Other Hazards" by Forrest Richardson & Mark Fine.

My playing experience includes North Berwick ("THE Redan" as the original I suppose as well as Shinnecock, NGLA, Merion (?) ;), Camargo and the architect Mike Riley grew up playing Somerset Hills.

The Richardson/Fine book is very interesting and makes a few points:

Most know the derivation of the term from its Old French origin to its military use in the Crimean War so I'll skip that part.

Richardson and Fine describe the Redan as "...a hole that served as a prototype for many others throughout the world.  The Redan is more than a golf hole.  It is an idea about golf architecture. ;)  While the Redan Bunker is especially notorious, the entire hole is a hazard in itself." (pg. 76)  (emphasis added).

In their excellent book they produce a drawing showing THE Redan and show the green sloping away towards a stone wall behind, the green set at a 30 degree angle to the line of play, describe the green at 123 feet long, show broken ground between the tee and green, one bunker short and left (the Redan bunker?) and three more on the right.  Pictures also show sleepers reinforcing the bunker and some pictures devoid of the sleepers entirely.  The tee is also hard against a stone wall.

How much of these characteristics are required to be a redan hole?  IS missing one element enough to disqualify a hole from the term?

Interestingly, a quote underneath the picture from Horace Hutchinson states, “The Redan is a deep, steep-faced bunker  :o close to the green, but it is of no great length or breadth.  The driven ball may go nicely to the right of it and curl round so as to lie on the green without crossing the great escarpment of the fortification at all.  But it has an aspect of no little terror as one faces it from the tee.” (pg. 77)  (emphasis added).

I will humbly suggest that the fundamental principle of a redan is the angle to the line of play and the inside/fronting hazard that protects the direct line to the flag.  I think all of us, armchair architects and professionals, probably “doodled” this hole thousands of times instinctively without having a clue as to the deeper meaning or principles behind the strategy of the hole—it is just a “natural” instinct among many I think to draw a hole that ends up like a “redan”.

Some will be very protective of the term and reserve it only for use at North Berwick while others see many, most, some or all of the principles at play throughout the golfing world.
Regarding Merion, IMHO I did not “see” the redan when I stepped up to the tee but the green did seem to slope a lot back to front and left to right.  I missed my tee shot into the left bunker and was left with a very difficult shot down the length of the green going quickly away and a lot to the right.  Of course after my errant tee shot my bunker shot was on a slightly different angle than the tee shot but if I ever play Merion again I will play the hole keeping the principles of the redan much more in mind (or reverse redan!).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 09:55:46 AM by Chris Cupit »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2008, 09:06:27 AM »
Chris,

Interesting points, but I disagree. I think the fundamental Redan concept also includes the reverse slope green. :)  That comes from my personal history with Redans!

My mentors designed several par 3 holes they called Redans that had the inside bunker and angle, but they never mentioned (or considered) a reverse slope.  Early in my career, I tried similar holes w/o the reverse slope, but did add a kick in bank, much exagerated from the original, and placed closer to the green, because it didn't have the reverse slope.  So one change begat another.  Ron Whitten thrashed my reverse Redan at Wild Wing...... :(

So, now if I build one, I make sure it has a reverse slope, albeit about 1.8% vs the up to 12% that some older Redans had. I don't want a Shinney problem! I probably still exagerate the side bank, but do place a carry bunker (a la Riv 4) about 20-30 yards outside the front right of the green.  So, I guess its still a derivative and not a true Redan, but I do think they need to be made for modern play.

I disagree with TePaul.  Once characteristics of a particular hole become well known, I think its fair to only call holes with those characteristics by that name.  Not that there should be any jail time or beheadings associated with those who call non Redans redans, but on this site, I think we should be a tad accurate.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

TEPaul

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2008, 09:20:31 AM »
ChrisC:

Look, the next time you play Merion's 3rd hole the strategy you pretty much have to use ala the "Reverse Redan shot" is to hit the ball onto the fairway section "kicker" that's in front of the green and let it filter left to right onto the green.

Most golfers who play that hole---actually all golfers who play that hole, tend not to notice that front fairway section and its "kicker" that filters the ball left to right onto the green but I swear to God it really is there.

I know Wilson and his committee and also Flynn were into some pretty tricky and deceptive shit with their architecture so it may not look like that front fairway section with the "kicker" is there (matter of fact it may look to you sort of like a fairly steep bank with rough at the front of the green), but take my word for it----it is there and that's the best shot to play into that hole.

(Don't forget to bring your 60 degree wedge with you too).

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2008, 09:32:31 AM »
BCrosby & all fellow bozos ;D

The terms, "redan", "alps", "plateau", "short", "valley", "bottle" "biarritz",
"long", "road", "punchbowl", "eden" and "knoll" are conceptual terms, not terms that require a perfect match of the architectural DNA.

A good example might be the 3rd hole at The Knoll, the "redan"

It has all of the common or typical features of "The" Redan, whether you consider "The" Redan to be the one at North Berwick, NGLA or both.

Yet, the green has an additional feature,  a ridge/mound in the middle, running at about 45 degree angle from the tee, the same angle as the green.

Does that disqualify if from being deemed/called a "Redan" ?
I don't believe so.

I don't believe Charles Banks thought so when he designed and named it.

I believe that Charles Banks was extremely familiar with "redans", their architectural qualities, their playability and his intent to replicate them based on the available landform and amendments.

The Knoll's history book claims it's a redan.

George Bahto calls it a redan.

As to the 3rd at Merion, how many contemporary architects at a date near its inception called it a redan ?  Quite a few.  Were they ignorant or confused about the concept of a redan ?

As to current architects, Tom Doak's on record as having called it a redan.

If the 3rd at Merion was almost anywhere else, this discussion, with respect to the naming of the concept/s that's applicable to the 3rd hole, wouldn't take place.

Someone recently told me that they think that there's a conspiracy afoot to deny any linkage between Merion and CBM.  I find that shocking  ;D

Jim Nugent

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2008, 09:41:52 AM »

As to the 3rd at Merion, how many contemporary architects at a date near its inception called it a redan ?  Quite a few.  Were they ignorant or confused about the concept of a redan ?

Other than Macdonald, which contemporary architects called #3 a Redan at a time near its inception?

Sean_A

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2008, 09:42:39 AM »

The terms, "redan", "alps", "plateau", "short", "valley", "bottle" "biarritz",
"long", "road", "punchbowl", "eden" and "knoll" are conceptual terms, not terms that require a perfect match of the architectural DNA.

A good example might be the 3rd hole at The Knoll, the "redan"

It has all of the common or typical features of "The" Redan, whether you consider "The" Redan to be the one at North Berwick, NGLA or both.

Yet, the green has an additional feature,  a ridge/mound in the middle, running at about 45 degree angle from the tee, the same angle as the green.

Does that disqualify if from being deemed/called a "Redan" ?
I don't believe so.

I don't believe Charles Banks thought so when he designed and named it.

I believe that Charles Banks was extremely familiar with "redans", their architectural qualities, their playability and his intent to replicate them based on the available landform and amendments.

The Knoll's history book claims it's a redan.

George Bahto calls it a redan.

As to the 3rd at Merion, how many contemporary architects at a date near its inception called it a redan ?  Quite a few.  Were they ignorant or confused about the concept of a redan ?

As to current architects, Tom Doak's on record as having called it a redan.

If the 3rd at Merion was almost anywhere else, this discussion, with respect to the naming of the concept/s that's applicable to the 3rd hole, wouldn't take place.

Someone recently told me that they think that there's a conspiracy afoot to deny any linkage between Merion and CBM.  I find that shocking  ;D

Pat

Youa re right.  The terms you mention are concepts and as such the concepts of the terms should be included if we are going to use them as descriptors.  I have a 3 year old next door neighbour who often confuses the concept of a car with a motorcycle.  Sure, they both have engines, steering mechanisms and wheels, that doesn't make them the same thing.  The hope here is that the 3 year old will eventually discern the difference. 

Ciao

TEPaul

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2008, 09:46:30 AM »
Patrick:

About a year or so ago you called Merion president Robert Lesley an idiot for calling Merion's original 10th hole an Alps. Why have you changed your tune about what people called holes like some of those back then?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2008, 09:54:29 AM »
Sean,

Then I'd equate your 3 year old neighbor's understanding of vehicles with your understanding of architecture.

Just think, in another 10 years you'll both be up to speed ;D

Jim Nugent,

If the teacher tells the pupil the answers, he'll never learn.
Seek and ye shall find.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2008, 09:56:27 AM »
Patrick:

About a year or so ago you called Merion president Robert Lesley an idiot for calling Merion's original 10th hole an Alps. Why have you changed your tune about what people called holes like some of those back then?

TEPaul,

Could you cite where I called Robert Lesley an idiot ?

Thanks

TEPaul

« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2008, 09:58:42 AM »
"TEPaul,
Could you cite where I called Robert Lesley an idiot ?"

Pat:

Of course I could. Definitely. You called him an idiot on GOLFCLUBATLAS.com. 

Kirk Gill

« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2008, 06:07:34 PM »
Could you cite where I called Robert Lesley an idiot ?

Patrick, you just said this:

There is nothing about the topography of the 10th at Merion that resembles the 17th at Prestwick.

The aerial of the 10th at Merion in 1924, which clearly depicts the green and fronting bunker complex, should be ample evidence that any reference to the 10th at Merion resemblng the 17th at Prestwick is perposterous, even in principle.

The scale and the relationship of the features and the topography is so dramatically different that you could no more call # 10 and "Alps"  hole in principle than you could the 17th at NGLA.

Lesley was clearly wrong by any reasonable standard.

For what it's worth......
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

DMoriarty

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2008, 06:45:26 PM »
David

The real crux of the issue is the determination of the major principles of a Redan.  As the Redan has historically been described as a hole which can be played by flighting a shot to bounce into the green, I consider this to be a major design principle.  I would like to see you bounce one into Merion's 3rd.  This may have been a principle which CB Mac didn't think important.  I strongly disagree and it has nothing to do with arrogance as you charitably suggest.  Other principle design elements would include:

-Front to back sloping green which also slopes from one side or the other - both concepts to encourage use of the slopes for the bounce in

- Danger left and right, there needn't be danger immediately short of the green because the shape of the green is protection enough from this line of play

-Slightly uphill - the combination of this with the green and its surrounds somewhat conceals the line of play for a bounce in shot

I understand that some may disagree with my interpretation of a Redan.  However, if one is going to call a hole a Redan I would have thought it reasonable that main principles of the design were included.  There are plenty of ways to describe a hole.  If a namesake is going to be used, imo, for clarity and ease of understanding, it is best that the hole in question actually display the principles of the namesake. 

Ciao

Sean, with all due respect, I do not think that "real crux of the issue is the determination of the major principles of a Redan."  For me, the real cruces of the issue are understanding how these guys understood the concept, why they designed and built the these holes the way they did,  and how and why they used the term "redan" as a reference to certain holes.   

To me, your point seems largely semantic and purely definitional.  You define a "Redan" a certain way and want to use it only a certain way.   Fair enough.   It is even reasonable for you to advocate your definition and usage on an ongoing basis.   But realize yours is still just a definition and a label.   It seems pointless for you to foist your definition and understanding onto a time period that clearly looked at the term differently, especially in the context of a conversation aimed at trying to understand the historical origins of a golf hole that is almost 100 years old.   Your definition is largely irrelevant when it comes to understanding whether or not Wilson, Leslie, CBM, Whigham, Findlay, etc. meant Merion third to be a Redan and/or thought Merion's 3rd was a Redan.   Also, if I may be so bold, you might find out that even you could learn a few things about what is really at the core of the greatness of the Redan by trying to better understand just why and how these guys understood the Redan concept(s.)

All that being said, I generally agree with your determination of the major principles of a pure redan.  But I also agree with CBM that the major concept(s) of the Redan can and should be applied in numerous circumstances, depending on the natural characteristics of the land in question.

Keep in mind that when CBM was active, the American landscape was not yet littered with imitation Redans.   In fact, the landscape was nearly barren when it came to quality golf holes which seamlessly incorporated  sophisticated strategic elements.  CBM was trying to teach America the most fundamental concepts of quality golf design, and the Redan was one of his poster children.   But he was not necessarily trying to teach exact adherence or copying of the Redan, but rather the incorporation of the underlying concepts.   So in this context, he used the underlying concepts less stringently in his designs, and he and others used the references to the Redan rather generously.    To do otherwise would have stifled not only the conversation, it would have stifled golf the development of golf architecture in America.

Back to your understanding of the underlying fundamental principles of a Redan.

1.  Conceptually, what difference does it make whether or not the ball starts running short of the green or  whether it starts running actually on the green, so long as the golfer is afforded the opportunity to access the area behind the bunker without actually carrying the bunker? 
For comparison:   On a CBM inspired Biarritz, the concept is for the ball to hit short of the swale and run through the swale and onto the back portion of the green.  Sometimes the swale and the front portion were/are maintained as part of the green, and sometimes they are not.   Conceptually, couldn't this also be the case with a Redan?

2.  Functionally, I do not understand the importance of an extended run-up area on a reverse Redan, at least for the vast majority of golfers.    I am left handed.  Without one heck of a right-to-left  and helping wind and one heck of a golf shot, I do not believe it is possible for a left-handed golfer to land a ball short of 'real' redan (assuming NGLA's is real) and run a ball to the back of the green.   I've tried, as have others, and I just do not think that fades have the trajectory or overspin to  get the process started, even with a kicker.   I believe even Mike Cirba agrees with me on this one.   So functionally, for left-handed golfers the landing area short is rather irrelevant, isn't it.

And wouldn't the opposite be true for right-handed golfers?   Surely you don't think that right-handed golfers should intentionally try to land high fades well short of the putting surface on reverse redans, do you?  For what purpose?  If they do, I think they would usually be very disappointed with the results, even if they thought they executed perfectly.

[For these reasons, I think that a Redan purist or traditionalist such as yourself should argue that the concept of a "reverse redan" is fundamentally flawed.  For almost all golfers (the right-handed ones) the supposed reverse-Redan is just not functionally viable as a Redan.]

3.  What if a side-to-side slope allowed the golfer to accomplish the same thing as the golfer could on a the front-to-back and side-to-side green on a pure Redan?   What if the golfer could still run the ball around the bunker to the guarded portion of the green?  You would not consider this a redan, I guess.   But is there a functional reason for the distinction, or is it merely a definitional formality? 

With a pure Redan, I can see that doing away with the front-to-back slope might make it too easy on a golfer who wants to simply hit a high fade or straight ball over the bunker to the middle of the green.   But wouldn't  a green without the front to back slope make more sense for a reverse redan, where-- if the green sloped away-- a right-handed draw over the bunker to the middle of the green would almost inevitably bound over the green into oblivion? 

4.  I would slightly re-characterize your definition to emphasize that, on a Redan, while the large flanking bunker fronts most of the green, there is an opening at the front corner of the diagonal green, and those portions of the green behind the bunker are made accessible through a combination of the groundslope and a perfect shot with both the right spin and trajectory.

5.  I would add a distance element to any definition of a pure redan, because it seems like it would work best and present the most interesting challenge for a shot with a longer iron.   I would also note that a Pure redan ought to be situated on a natural ridge or plateau, and that the green ought to be set diagonally to the tee.

Lastly, I am still curious about a few things:

-- Do you consider NGLA's Redan a real Redan?   

-- Do you consider any supposed reverse Redan a real Redan?

-- What are the supposed Redans that qualify as real Redans under your understanding? 

David -

Yes, it's just lil' 'ole Sean, Jim and Bob wondering what is Redanish about the 3rd. Just three bozos and the only thing they have on their side is what they see.

Tell us what you see. Don't make your argument from authority. Tell us what you see.

If I might be so bold, sometimes the authorities are wrong.

That is what your Merion essay is about, no?

Bob

No.   My essay accepts the opinions and descriptions of the Authorities who actually knew first-hand what was going on when Merion was built.  The Authorities with such knowledge Hugh Wilson, Tillinghast, Lesley, Findlay, even Alan Wilson (who apparently got his information second hand) are all backing me up.

As for what I see, it really doesn't matter.   I wasn't even addressing "what you see" but rather how you label and define what you see.  In other words, I was addressing the meaning you attach to what you see and and how you choose to apply your contemporary understanding to a circumstance which existed almost 100 years ago. 

While it makes no difference, I see why the third at Merion was considered a Redan.  But then I am left-handed, so I am naturally dyslexic when it comes to reading golf architecture. 

Look, I don't have the experience at either the National or Merion to make draw any sort of final conclusions about the playing characteristics of either hole, but I will tell you that in my limited experience Merion's 3rd works much better as a Redan for a left-hander than does the National's.  I try to avoid talking about my game because it is boring for others and a rather sad topic for me, and I try not to  base my opinion about architecture on my game.   But because my perception keeps coming up . . . Miracle of miracles, I have been lucky enough to hit the shots I was envisioning in my couple of plays at NGLA and in my one play at Merion:   

-- At NGLA I hit a slightly fading six iron that I thought was perfect and it sat short of the green without running more than a few feet.      Another time with old hickory shafted clubs I hit a fading mid-iron that was exactly as I envisioned, and the result was exactly the same; ball just short of the green near where it landed.   In one of these plays (if I recall correctly) another left-hander carried further onto the green but still did not get the run he was looking for.  All the shots had the wrong trajectory and spin for the terrain so they did not run.  As it should be.   

-- At Merion, the 3rd visually sets up perfectly for a left-handed golfer who imagines hitting the ball through the gap on the front left and running the ball to the right or back right.   While I did not try to land my shot  short, in what was one of only a few good shots that day I hit a hickory shafted mid-iron (erroneously and humorously stamped with an "8") shot with a slight draw onto the front left portion of the green and the ball released and rolled to the right portion of the green, toward the back.  Pretty much as I would expect on a reverse Redan.

Interestingly, a quote underneath the picture from Horace Hutchinson states, “The Redan is a deep, steep-faced bunker  :o close to the green, but it is of no great length or breadth.  The driven ball may go nicely to the right of it and curl round so as to lie on the green without crossing the great escarpment of the fortification at all.  But it has an aspect of no little terror as one faces it from the tee.” (pg. 77)  (emphasis added).

Chris,  I think this is a terrific description in that it hits on at least part of the brilliant functionality of the hole. With the proper shot, the golfer can outflank the bunker to get behind it. 

I will humbly suggest that the fundamental principle of a redan is the angle to the line of play and the inside/fronting hazard that protects the direct line to the flag.  I think all of us, armchair architects and professionals, probably “doodled” this hole thousands of times instinctively without having a clue as to the deeper meaning or principles behind the strategy of the hole—it is just a “natural” instinct among many I think to draw a hole that ends up like a “redan”.

While this may be true now, I don't think that this was the case in America at the time Merion was designed then built.   CBM was introducing these concepts to a large segment of golf in America.  That today we all naturally doodle this type of hole might be considered indication that CBM was on to something. 

Pat

Youa re right.  The terms you mention are concepts and as such the concepts of the terms should be included if we are going to use them as descriptors.  I have a 3 year old next door neighbour who often confuses the concept of a car with a motorcycle.  Sure, they both have engines, steering mechanisms and wheels, that doesn't make them the same thing.  The hope here is that the 3 year old will eventually discern the difference. 

Ciao

Interesting analogy, but it misses something.  Let me give it a try . . .

When my daughter was about three, I took her to an automotive museum and she would not believe that a Model A Ford was a car.  She thought it was a Santa sleigh with bike wheels.   From her perspective, I can see why she thought it was not an automobile. If you think about it, it really has very little in common with the cars with which she was familiar.  But her perspective fails to consider the long evolution of the automobile and ignores the context in which the Model A was designed and built.   

Kirk Gill,  that quote just goes to show you that there may be hope for the website after all.  When confronted with compelling evidence, even Patrick Mucci is capable of reconsidering his beliefs.   

Sean_A

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2008, 07:58:36 PM »
David

That is a long post much of which goes on about RRs and goofy footers.  In a nutshell, I don't see why a RR can't be a Redan regardless if the golfer is lefty or righty.  What makes a Redan is not dependant on which side of the ball I stand, my ability or if the design itself is faulty.  On NB's Redan it is possible for me to hit a low running fade - though I admit the hole doesn't ideally set up for this shot and I don't envision it this way.  In fact, I don't envision it as a right to left runner either.  I ideally envision the shot as a fade carrying past the halfway mark of the green.  Wind willing, I find this a much easier proposition (even going over the left corner hazard) than trying to figure a carry distance and ball run.  However, and this answers another one of your questions, it doesn't materially matter if a player lands the ball on the green or short of it.  What is important is that the opportunity to do so exists especially as a Redan is a longish par 3 which many a player cannot reach in the air especially as it plays uphill much of the way. 

David, its not my definition of Redan.  Its what my eyes and experience tell me about the hole and an understanding of what the design intentions were.  When someone describes a hole as a Redan, my image is of North Berwick's.  If critical elements of that description are missing, it strikes a discord and leads me to ask questions because the term Redan suggests certain design elements. 

I am not questioning anybody's take on the Redan and I fail to see how not calling holes a Redan when they clearly are not of the type would "stifle the golf development of America".  I understand that prototypes were used, but adapted to suit situations.  Some of these adaptations were still true enough to the original to meaningfully (ie pass on meaningful description of the hole by using the terms Redan or Alps etc) keep the namesake and some were not.  You act as though chaps like CB Mac are the ones who brought meaning to the terms when in truth the meanings of the terms exist independently of any designer or golfer. 

I have never seen NGLA's Redan.  By many accounts it is meant to be better than the original.  While it is important that any hole be good, for purposes of our discussion it doesn't apply - besides, the hole is bound to be good if it uses the main designe elements of the original.  If the hole fits the major criteria design elements of the original than I don't know why I wouldn't call it a Redan.  Offhand, I can't think of any holes I have played that I would define as Redans.  That doesn't mean much because I haven't played any MacRaynor courses.  The more modern versions I have seen tend to be downhill, which I reject as Redans.

Ciao   

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2008, 08:06:55 PM »
Do you guys think any practicing architect today really cares about this stuff at THIS level of detail?  They'll build the best possible hole wherever they are.  Sure, they'll incorporate great ideas from history, but I really would doubt that they would think to themselves whether or not  given hole was truly a redan.  It's like my Catholic school days - arguing about how many angels can fit on the head of a pin :)

More seriously, somebody needs to put together a GCA primer on this website.  Define "redan".  Define "cape hole".  Define "Alps hole".   It'd be good for new folks.

PS - Merion East #3 is one helluva hole, regardless of what you want to call it.  I call it "world class".

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back