News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Boult

The 12-hole Challenge Course, the second of the three planned golf courses at Monarch Dunes in Nipomo, CA,  is scheduled to open August 29, 2008. Like Monarch Dunes "The Old Course", the new course was designed by Damian Pascuzzo and Steve Pate.

I'm curious to learn what gca-ers think about a 12-hole course!

I got a chance to walk the course by myself yesterday (walk, not play) and took a few photos with my pocket camera. This will certainly be a challenging par 3 course!  I'll try to get out and take some better photos after the June/July gloom clears. A few sample photos are shown below.

The 12 par 3 holes range in length from 70 yards to 200 yards (240 yards from the back tees).  You'll get the opportunity to use every club in your bag from the tee. The 2 longest holes, 5 and 12, are dead into the wind under normal conditions and may even require driver off the tee. A lob wedge will reach the short 3rd hole.

The greens are expansive and undulating, containing large swales and ridges, and are well protected by fescue-covered sand dunes and large lacy bunkers. Carries from tee to green vary from sand dunes, long grasses and small lakes. Poppies, lupines and other wildflowers cover the landscape. The course is very walkable. The cart paths seem unnecessary. Carts are required to stay on the cart paths.

I'd pick the 9th as the signature hole. The green is framed by a variety of wildflowers, fescue dunes, lacy bunkers, and a frontside lake. It's tee box is one of the longest in California, angling out to 80 yards. The left side of the tee box allows for a short 105 yard shot to a welcoming fairway and green. But the tee at the other end faces a challenging 135 yarder over a lake into a left to right cross wind.

Green fees will only set you back $16.00, or $1.33/hole ($12.00 or $1.00/hole for members)! Carts are only $9/round.

9th green from left side of tee box

9th green from front bunker

example of large undulating greens from 1st green

10th green from tee box

1st green from fairway

I've paraphrased a description of the course by Damian Pascuzzo below, that can be found on the Monarch Dunes website at monarchdunesgolf.com.

There's also an excellent article by Dan Hruby in the May issue of Golf Today Magazine about the new course, also available on the Monarch Dunes website.

Each hole has the tees arranged to vary the angle of attack.  Players teeing off from the back tees will face the most difficult shot, while those playing from the front tees will have a far easier line to the green.  Each hole has at least 5000 square feet of tee space and we will have set out three sets of tee markers giving players plenty of choice.

The greens may be the most memorable features on the golf course.  Pascuzzo and Pate's idea from the first day of design was to create very large, very undulating greens.  Players will encounter ridges and swales running through the green that may change 3-4 feet in elevation.  To accommodate this type of movement, the greens are about 8000 square feet.  The superintendent has agreed to keep green speeds a little more modest so that these undulating greens stay fun and playable.  Designing that much movement in the greens enabled some areas on the green that are quite challenging when approached from the back tees.  Players will have to think hard about how they want to attack the hole. Playing strategy will change every time out depending on where the flag is that particular day and what the wind is doing. 

The golf course has a natural, rugged appearance, which is enhanced by the dunes that were shaped throughout the fairways and around the greens.  The golf course was completely constructed by shaping the native sand into the desired features.  There were no outside materials imported to build the greens or bunkers as is done on most golf courses.

There are five lakes which come into play.  The lakes are on holes 3,4,5,8 and 9.  The residential development uses these golf course lakes to handle 100% of the project's storm water.  Extra capacity was designed into the lakes so that the storm water can be stored and then dissipated back into that ground to recharge the aquifer. The golf course uses the same turf grass as found on Monarch Dunes Old Course.  The fairways and roughs are planted in a blend of fine fescues.  The greens have been seeded in velvet bentgrass.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 11:07:41 AM by Art Fuller »

John Moore II

Re: First Look at The 12-hole Challenge Course by Pascuzzo & Pate
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 11:22:55 AM »
I like the look, fits in well with the land. I also like the idea of 12 holes. Shorter length of time to play may mean more people inclined to play the game. Also, the cost for a trip around the course is awesome. I would like to see more of these as they may be able to get greater numbers of people into the game.

Phil McDade

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 11:33:52 AM »
Art:

As someone who's played a 12-holer (Shiskine at Blackwaterfoot, on the Scottish Isle of Arran), I think they are a great idea in terms of developing the game. I do, however, think an ideal 12-hole course should have a mix of par 4s and 5s, perhaps on the "sporty" side of design.

I like the look of this course. Is this Steve Pate's first foray into design?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 11:37:23 AM »
Now that Damian is building hairy bunkers we can put that style to bed. 

Richard Boult

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 11:42:46 AM »
Is this Steve Pate's first foray into design?

Phil, Pate's first design effort was just next door at Monarch Dunes. He's now an official partner with Pascuzzo. I just found this article about Pate's current playing and design efforts at www.gravespascuzzo.com.

Pate finding balance in life between designing, Nationwide Tour (PDF file)

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 02:03:38 PM »
I like the look, fits in well with the land. I also like the idea of 12 holes. Shorter length of time to play may mean more people inclined to play the game. Also, the cost for a trip around the course is awesome. I would like to see more of these as they may be able to get greater numbers of people into the game.

Although the famous Pismo Dunes are nearby, most of the property at Monarch Dunes was covered with eucalyptus trees before construction. I think most of the small dunes you see in these pictures were created, as the existing dunes were much more subtle.

I like the concept of this 12-holer.

The original 18-hole course has some flaws, but there is a whole lot to like. The architects took some chances and most of it works. It's a solid, quirky test and vastly superior to anything else I've seen in the central coast (haven't been to La Purisima yet).

"Art" - Thanks you for posting this.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 02:44:12 PM »
A 12 hole par three course is no big deal conceptually - heck, just being a par three course to begin with it's a miniaturized version of the larger game - I can't see what it matters how many holes there are.

But that being said, this course does look pretty neat.  Looks pretty fun to me.

What I want to see is a 12 hole par 48, with three loops of six... isn't someone working on something like that somewhere?

TH

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 02:56:05 PM »
A 12 hole par three course is no big deal conceptually - heck, just being a par three course to begin with it's a miniaturized version of the larger game - I can't see what it matters how many holes there are.

But that being said, this course does look pretty neat.  Looks pretty fun to me.

What I want to see is a 12 hole par 48, with three loops of six... isn't someone working on something like that somewhere?

TH

Huck -- I'm sure this is something you'd seek out, since I assume it's close by. Maybe not. That said, let's throw out par. Let's say they built four holes that were between 275 and 325. Would this "entice" you more? I think it would me. I'd love to see something with three four-hole loops or two six hole loops that had two holes under 130 yards, six holes anywhere from 150-225 and four 3 1/2 holes between 250 and 325. That'd be a fun place to take a kid learning the game.

Dan King

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 02:57:38 PM »
I've always liked the idea of a 12-hole course. I really enjoyed Shiskine and need to get back there soon. I also played Pacific Dunes before it opened, and they only had 12 holes opened. There is something about the dozen that works better than 18.

I've made the argument before that Lincoln Park in San Francisco should be turned into a 12-hole course. There isn't enough room for 18 holes, and I wouldn't want to see it turned into a par-3 course. It could be 12 terrific holes. It could even be marketed as the greatest 12 hole course in the U.S.

Cheers,
Dan King
It's just six of one and half-a-dozen of the other.
 --Captain Frederick Marryat

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 03:04:12 PM »
Tony:

It's not particularly close to me - must be at least 150-200 miles away.  But hopefully I will get there some day.  In any case, I would LOVE your version.  That sounds like a hell of a lot of fun!

Dan - right on re Lincoln Park... that does sound cool... although I kinda like it how it is.  But I'll take your 12 hole idea over some of the others that have been thrown out there recently!

TH

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 03:30:36 PM »
I can hardly wait to get down there and play it.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Richard Boult

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 08:42:09 PM »
Just learned that Aidan Bradley was recently at The Challenge Course taking photos. Here's a few that were posted on the Monarch Dunes website... Didn't find any yet on Aidan's site - www.golfcoursephotography.com. In his photos, the sand looks white, but it's really the native "brown" sand the course is built on, which can be found all over the Nipomo Mesa and Pismo/Oceano Dunes.

9th Green from right side of tee box

10th Green

11th Green

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 08:48:49 PM »
Looks nice, and if they can keep it at that price, it's a great thing.

I do think there's a bit too much long wispy grass in these pictures ... not just in the bunkers but all around.  A lot of the clientele for an $18 par-3 course is going to be people who don't hit it too consistently.

Richard Boult

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 10:13:06 PM »
I do think there's a bit too much long wispy grass in these pictures ... not just in the bunkers but all around.  A lot of the clientele for an $18 par-3 course is going to be people who don't hit it too consistently.

Tom, at the time these photos were taken, the course is still growing in and I'd imagine that the areas beyond the tee boxes, greens and fairways haven't even seen a weed-eater yet.  At Monarch Dunes next door, they do a pretty good job of getting the weed eaters out frequently enough to keep the fescue from becoming unplayable, but it still gobbles up a lot of golf balls. Interestingly, since Poppies are our state flower, I don't think they can take the weed eater to them!

Also, there is a good variety of other affordable 9-hole and 18-hole alternatives nearby, and I've noticed that higher handicappers seems to gravitate towards those easier courses.  I have a feeling this new course will quickly get a reputation that lives up to its name. I think that's part of its appeal.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 10:16:41 PM by Art Fuller »

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 12:25:31 AM »

I don't think they can affoard the maint at $16.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Richard Boult

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 01:20:29 PM »
I don't think they can affoard the maint at $16.

And to get started, tee times are spaced every FIFTEEN minutes!!  The course is run by Kemper Sports (same company managing Bandon and Chambers Bay), so I'm sure they've got the financial part figured out. I think the same maintenance crew that works for Monarch Dunes will be maintaining The Challenge Course... same supervisor, same pro, same general manager, etc.

Richard Boult

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 12:06:52 PM »
I was invited to the Grand Opening of The Challenge course yesterday and found out how they came up with the name!

The greens are huge and undulating, yet receptive and puttable... most consisting of several tiers, differing in height from 1 to maybe 4-5 feet. The 12th rose over 10 feet from left to right, reminding me very much of the 16th at Pasatiempo, only sideways! 

I used every club in my bag on this 12-hole par 3 course... I hit a 3/4 lob wedge on the 3rd, then a driver from the 235 yard 5th - playing 260 downhill into the wind to a back pin!  The uphill 12th played more like a dogleg right par 4 for most, where many aimed left of the green, then chipped uphill to the tough back pin. This course is an incredible challenge, but amazingly fun to play!

I scored only 5 pars to offset my 7 bogies, then went over to play the "easy" 18-hole old course at Monarch Dunes (70.7/135) and shot 5-over with 2 doubles!  No one in the field shot even par on The Challenge course yesterday.  There were only a handful of birdies. Admitedly, the superintendent presented the toughest pin placements on every hole for our initiation!

I'm seriously planning to play this course more frequently than any other... not only will it challenge my game, but I can walk the course in an easy 2 hours! This course is a winner!!

1st fairway

235 yard 5th - played 260 into the wind

9th green - example of large green complexes

More Photos from the Monarch Dunes website
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 12:55:57 PM by Art Fuller »

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 06:54:23 PM »
Those pictures bring immediate thoughts of Mike Strantz. I would play it because it looks enticing, but the idea of a 12 hole course does not thrill me in the least. It is akin to eating 12 out of an 18 bucket of chicken wings.

Great Looking holes though.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Richard Boult

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2008, 10:13:17 AM »
I don't see 12-holes as being a replacement for 18-holes, but as complimentary. Not sure how it would work as a standalone course, but it's a nice compliment to the existing 18 here. It's perfect for when time doesn't permit the 4+ hour round, or for when you want to get in a little more golf after 18, or for replacing a practice session on the range (I'd much rather practice on the course). It would be a fun course for all the odd games we come up with too, like having to play with only 3 clubs, or a quick round of speed golf, etc. I went out again yesterday and played the course just after lunch. I didn't have time for 18 and would have stayed at work otherwise.  I think this course will inspire me to play more frequently during the week... Should be easy to get in a dozen holes either early morning, over lunch, or early evening.  Not sure why, but playing 12 par 3's was much more satisfying that playing just the front 9 or back 9. It's great practice for my short game... all approach shots and recoveries. Plus, I like the number 12... we buy balls by the dozen, why not play by the dozen.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2008, 10:43:25 AM »
Thanks for posting. I like the open and contoured look to the place.

The concept of a short course more than 9 and less than 18 holes in CA is unprecedented, and the 15 minute spacing puts it on a short list. I think it's a good idea so long as the owner sees the fiscal return.

You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back