News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Mollica

My recent trip to Cape Kidnappers
« on: July 08, 2008, 09:14:42 AM »

The cliffs of Cape Kidnappers at sunrise

Cape Kidnappers is one of those courses every golfer should play at least once in their lives.  It is an experience which leaves an indelible mark on one’s memory.  Some courses achieve this effect courtesy of the grand scale on which they are built, the splendour of the land on which they sit, or the majestic views they afford.  Of course a wonderful day of golf cannot be achieved without golf holes of great intrinsic quality.  Cape Kidnappers provides all these pleasures.

Cape Kidnappers is situated in the Hawke’s Bay region, on the south-east coast of New Zealand’s North Island.  The course opened for play in 2004, to critical acclaim.  Certainly Cape Kidnappers is the most striking of the three courses Tom Doak created during his southern hemisphere voyage earlier this decade. In one fell swoop, Doak gave us Cape Kidnappers, Barnbougle Dunes and St. Andrews Beach (Gunnamatta).  The quality of these courses is without question, with all three warranting a visit, no matter how far one may travel to get to the first tee.  Yet Cape Kidnappers is something else again.

Looking back from the 6th green, towards Hawke’s Bay and Napier

The course sits atop dramatic land – a combination of undulating pastures and several ragged yet flat top fingers which spear into Hawke’s Bay and the Pacific Ocean beyond.  500 foot cliffs plunge beyond the margin of some fairways.  The course is stretched to the very edges of the cliff tops, and drapes over several steep ravines.  Vast bridges connect tees, fairways and adjacent holes. Yet the quality of the course is not merely a result of the locale or its scale.

It exists harmoniously with the breath-taking canvas on which it sits. The course never intrudes or adulterates.  Tees are often inconspicuous; never is there a hint of manufacture about the holes.   Greens are of good size possessing organic shapes and movement.  Many appear as simple extensions of fairway - more closely mown patches, where existing ground contours remain unaltered. The golf holes unfold eloquently, and present clear challenges.  Bunkering is harmonious and natural in form, often identifying areas towards which one may drive for advantage.  At other times, hazards define zones where one dare not stray, or save balls from a watery grave.

Holes sitting inland, without the benefit of picturesque ocean backdrops, are equal in quality to those at the cliff edges.  They offer multiple lines of play depending on skill, bravery, pin positions, and the winds.  The front nine boasts an unusual quirk – one does not play consecutive holes of the same par until reaching the 10th tee. 

When closer to the water, Mother Nature takes centre stage and the course shifts into a more dramatic mode.  Rather than the clear definition of fairways, greens and other targets prevalent earlier, holes in the middle of the round provide grand vistas where framing is much less apparent.  Identifying the correct line from the tee on many holes is challenging.  The same can be said of several approaches, where the greens seem to meld into the blue horizon beyond.

The dramatic finger-like projections to which Cape Kidnappers owes much of its appeal are not overly divergent.  In routing holes oblique and even perpendicular to the lines of these landforms, Doak has ensured appreciable variety in direction of play.  He has not been overzealous in the pursuit of holes skirting the cliff edges, or those travelling directly down the line of flat land atop the cliffs.  The golf has not been compromised by a quest to maximise views – surely a tempting trap.

There is little at Cape Kidnappers about which one may be genuinely critical.  This is to be expected of a course ranked at #10 in the Golf Digest catalogue of great golf courses outside the United States, and at #41 by Golf Magazine in their world rankings of Top 100 courses.  Doak’s par 5 holes are somewhat linear, and one sometimes wishes these holes asked more of the second shot.  The course features sealed concrete cart paths, which I loath on such a site.  Yet, their placement is considered, and their visual impact is minimised. One peculiarity I noted, and often hear others mention of Cape Kidnappers, is that the course is difficult even on still days.  Great seaside links are often placid creatures without breezes, yet bear their teeth when the wind blows.  I found the course manageable from tee to green, but mainly because my pre-round prayers were answered.

Thankfully, little sign of the windsock moving!

I imagine Kidnappers would be a different beast entirely, and almost unplayable in winds which must surely lash the exposed site with some regularity.  Long game aside, putting at Cape Kidnappers is certainly a challenge, with one always scanning areas beyond greens for dominant land movement and topography which may influence putts.  Ravines lie to the sides of many greens, and the land atop the cliffs falls towards the bay.  The 8th green almost skulks into a nearby chasm, and putting down the slopes towards the front of this, and a handful of other greens certainly tests one’s nerve.

Plainly, a tremendous sum of money has been spent in order to give birth to Cape Kidnappers.  The five mile driveway from the intercom point at the course’s entrance is but one sign that no compromise has been accepted. 

The drive in affords golfers more than enough time to generate a few pre-game nerves

Every facet of the project has been completed with quality and the best possible outcome in mind. Yet nothing seems lavish for its own sake, or even remotely pretentious.  Indeed, the understated feel about much of the experience at Cape Kidnappers is a large part of the appeal.  Prior to the drive into the course, one enters via a humble looking farm gate, and drives past some of the locals.

The Clubhouse is decidedly rural in feel, and a perfect match with the surrounds.  It’s of high quality yet understated, relaxed and comfortable. It conveys the essence of the experience at Cape Kidnappers.   

View of the Cape Kidnappers Clubhouse from the practice range

The comfortable bar, complete with its tongue in cheek décor and artwork

Up soon... a closer look at some of the holes!

Matthew
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

John Kavanaugh

Re: My recent trip to Cape Kidnappers
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 09:38:03 AM »
Once there how does the cost to stay and play compare with Bandon in US dollars?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 09:52:35 AM »
John:

The Lodge at Cape Kidnappers is about twice as expensive as Bandon Dunes, though definitely more luxurious and more exclusive.

The green fee used to be on par with Bandon, but due to the declining value of the US dollar, it's now more expensive ... it costs NZ$400, which is about US$300 today.

George Pazin

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 09:55:01 AM »
Thanks for sharing, Matthew - your report on Barnbougle was one of my favorites, I am looking forward to your closer look at CK.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 10:25:40 AM »
Incidentally, I just got an e-mail confirming the professional event for under-30 players that will be held at Kauri Cliffs and Cape Kidnappers in late October, and aired prior to the Super Bowl I believe.  The four players will be Adam Scott, Anthony Kim, Hunter Mahan, and Brandt Snedeker.  (A couple of other guys had scheduling conflicts and had to pass.)  It'll be interesting to see whether they tear the course up, or (if it's windy) whether it tears them up.

Les Cordes

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »
geez....at these prices and with this location...can kidnappers possibly have a viable business model...?? les

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 11:47:06 AM »
Les - it's owned by a billionaire.  I don't think the CK's business plan is high on his radar screen.  JC

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 11:56:21 AM »
Les

The answer is no. But tell it to Julian Robertson. He says every man needs at least one folly in his life.

Matthew, thanks for the effort.  I have two questions for starters:
1. You mention the wind. I think Clayton said one sleeve would be enough for you. What wind would you say sets the ceiling for playability, defining playability however you'd like?
2. I imagine very few will play this course more than a couple of times ("once in their lives").  Does the architecture reflect this, perhaps in the routing or in terms of accessibility? For example, how hard are the greens to read?

And a philosogical question: is the course  better "experienced" or "played"?

Having played Kauri several times, I confess skepticism. This property looks similarly severe, and the winds...personally, I don't see how Kauri managed to be ranked at all in Golf Mag's list - although the setting and the resort are unspeakably beautiful.

And: willing to accept Robertson did better the second time....

Mark

Matt Bosela

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 12:15:11 PM »
Let me add that I'm also looking forward to the hole-by-hole exposition.  Pictures so far look spendid.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 12:20:24 PM »
Les:  In the short term, Cape Kidnappers operates at break-even or at a small profit, by playing limited rounds at their very high green fee.  There is nothing left over for paying off the price of construction right now, but Julian doesn't have to worry about that in the short term ... he's spent his money to build something great.

However, in the very long term, he believes it was wise to invest a good part of his money in the New Zealand economy where he could build these places at 50 cents on the US dollar.  It would cost 75 cents on the US dollar today, so he's already doing better than you think.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 12:44:58 PM »
bliss :)

It's the trip of the lifetime that we HAVE to make.  If it wasn't for that bloody flight time!

How long does it take for a Yankee to get  over the jet lag?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 12:46:12 PM »
Dan:

The jet lag going down there is over in a couple of days.

It's the jet lag coming BACK (after you have gotten used to New Zealand for a couple of weeks) that is the harder to shake.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 12:50:26 PM »
Tom,
That's fine - I'd be asleep at work :)

Bruce Leland

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 01:04:34 PM »
Matthew, you have me on the edge of my seat...can't wait for the playing review and photos.

I now have a new aspiration and destination....
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Carl Rogers

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 02:05:23 PM »
The design of the clubhouse seems to me very restrained and modestly dignified ... very admirable.  The interior conveys the feel of a place you would like to spend several hours in and not tire of it.

I wish there was a photo taken farther away so a sense of building with landscape could be viewed. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 02:13:12 PM »
My wife watches two shows, Snapped and House Hunters.  One to learn how to kill me and the other to figure out where to move.  On a recent House Hunters International a couple of working stiffs from California moved to New Zealand.  They bought a fantastic house for the price and look to be on their way to a very happy life.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 03:25:26 PM »
Incidentally, I just got an e-mail confirming the professional event for under-30 players that will be held at Kauri Cliffs and Cape Kidnappers in late October, and aired prior to the Super Bowl I believe.  The four players will be Adam Scott, Anthony Kim, Hunter Mahan, and Brandt Snedeker.  (A couple of other guys had scheduling conflicts and had to pass.)  It'll be interesting to see whether they tear the course up, or (if it's windy) whether it tears them up.

Tom, what do CK's greens stimp at?  I assume less than touring pro's are used to, if they have the contours you are famous for.  If that is the case, I wonder how well the pro's will be able to putt these greens.  Could the combination of big contours and lower stimp -- if they both exist -- throw off some of the world's best players?   

Tom_Doak

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 03:30:45 PM »
Jim:

The greens at Cape Kidnappers (for the most part) don't have big internal contours in them, because the landscape is a simple tilted plane.  They are much tougher to putt than they look at first glance, because most of them are built on 3% slopes, with several falling away from the line of play ... they just follow the ground.  They can get the greens VERY fast if they want to, but they are taking a chance if they get over 11 and it gets windy.

I will be curious to see how the pros respond.  They will be playing Kauri Cliffs the day before, so they won't even get a practice round at Cape Kidnappers beforehand [there is a pro-am the day after].  I'll be glad to caddie for the day for the usual percentage!

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 05:40:58 PM »
John:

The Lodge at Cape Kidnappers is about twice as expensive as Bandon Dunes, though definitely more luxurious and more exclusive.

The green fee used to be on par with Bandon, but due to the declining value of the US dollar, it's now more expensive ... it costs NZ$400, which is about US$300 today.

The clubhouse reminds me of Shinnecock - simple, understated.

$300 for a green fee ain't that much if you've already flown to NZ and made the trek.

I'd love to see how the course defends itself against the pros.

CJ Carder

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 05:51:54 PM »
Tom,
That's fine - I'd be asleep at work :)

That assumes you even come back to the States.   :)

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 05:58:50 PM »
There are two Doak courses I have been lucky enough to play that I think I like even more than Tom does.  Kidnappers is one and Apache Stronghold is the other.  

Comparing Kauri Cliff with Cape Kidnappers is like comparing the lesser pyramids on the Giza Necropolis to the great pyramid.  Kauri is Hawaii with better views.  Kidnappers in Bandon character with Kauri views.

If the wind blows CK could be 10 strokes harder than Kauri.  If it doesn't blow CK is 10 strokes more pleasureable!

JC
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 07:16:15 AM by Jonathan »

James Bennett

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 06:10:09 PM »
bliss :)

It's the trip of the lifetime that we HAVE to make.  If it wasn't for that bloody flight time!

How long does it take for a Yankee to get  over the jet lag?

Dan (et all)

the photos and report are first class.

Regarding the jet lag.  Tom Doak is right, but for a different reason than stated.  Jet lag travelling east is more severe than when travelling west.  They say travelling east is akin to switching frommorning to evening shift at work, whereas travelling west is akin to going from morning to afternoon shift.  The former is (apparently) far worse.

To really get over jet-lag, it takes perhaps 1 day for every hour and a half in time zone difference.  It will be about 9 hours difference (less if you lived on the west coast Dan) so you will feel like a local in 6 days.  However, you will be enjoying your golf after perhaps day 2. 

I have admiration for the globetrotting pros (Els, Scott, Woods) who play so well so quickly after a trek half-way around the world.  Pf course, they aren't sitting in the back in cattle-class, which makes the trip a lot easier.

If you can manage to sleep on a plane Dan, it won't be too bad.  Just keep the liquids up on the plane (not alcohol), don't eat too much and be well rested before you leave.  Perhaps include a stop-over in Hawaii, or in San Fran on the way over.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 06:22:40 AM »
Thanks for the replies and enthusiasm within the thread.
Not hard to see why there’s interest in this course, as it really is an amazing place.

Matthew, thanks for the effort.  I have two questions for starters:

1. You mention the wind. I think Clayton said one sleeve would be enough for you. What wind would you say sets the ceiling for playability, defining playability however you'd like?

2. I imagine very few will play this course more than a couple of times ("once in their lives").  Does the architecture reflect this, perhaps in the routing or in terms of accessibility? For example, how hard are the greens to read?

And a philosophical question: is the course better "experienced" or "played"?

Having played Kauri several times, I confess scepticism. This property looks similarly severe, and the winds...personally, I don't see how Kauri managed to be ranked at all in Golf Mag's list - although the setting and the resort are unspeakably beautiful.

And: willing to accept Robertson did better the second time....

Mark

Thanks Mark. Great questions.

The wind – hmmm.  A still day saw me lose a ball or two each round. Short answer – I wouldn’t want to play it in more than a 3 club wind. My suspicion is that the wind there is frequently stronger, and sometimes remarkably so.  You'd go through a fair few balls for a start.  There is room to miss on many tee shots but certainly not all.  Many approaches demand considerable accuracy, and are played to exposed greens.  I’d not reach some par 4’s with a great drive and a career 3 wood, even moving up a set or two of tees in a 3 club wind, and I imagine many golfers would find the same.  That detracts - in my opinion.  A strong wind would rob many of the wonderful experience to be enjoyed in more agreeable weather too. And that’s a significant part of the day at Kidnappers.

I think a significant number of golfers from NZ & abroad will make a yearly pilgrimage to Kidnappers and play it regularly. You’re right thought in that most will make it a special once in a lifetime trip.  I don’t think the course has been designed for the one-time only visitor. Far from it. The greens are genuinely often very hard to read, as my answer to Jim below notes.  I expect subsequent visits would unveil new facets of the course to many golfers.  I don’t think Doak has gone chasing eye candy and wow factor at the expense of substance.  There’s also several blind drives, and holes where one wishes they had played the hole before, so as to navigate tee to green better.

The course asks for a number of thrilling shots, and well-executed shots.  Playing it is very rewarding, but maybe slightly less so than ‘experiencing’ the course, particularly with the days I had, and the fact I was, for one round anyway, the only guy out there, for 5 hours.

I think your scepticism, based on playing Kauri is well-founded. Yet in my discussions with those who have played both, conventional wisdom has CK so far ahead of Kauri Cliffs - as a golf course - it’s just not funny. Both wonderful experiences from what I can gather. I’ve not played Kauri but really wish I had so I could make an objective comment and comparison.  Jonathan’s comment on the pyramids seems spot on from my understanding. I know a well respected judge who has played both KC and CK, who simply can’t believe that Kauri is in the world’s top 100, and feels the course is almost devoid of substance.

The design of the clubhouse seems to me very restrained and modestly dignified ... very admirable.  The interior conveys the feel of a place you would like to spend several hours in and not tire of it.

I wish there was a photo taken farther away so a sense of building with landscape could be viewed. 

Carl, you’re correct with your read on the Clubhouse. If you visit the CK website, you may see a shot from out on the course, where the building is seen in the distance.  It appears akin to a farm house on an adjoining property, and is totally appropriate for the landscape. Sorry I’ve not got a shot with the Clubhouse further away.

what do CK's greens stimp at?  I assume less than touring pro's are used to, if they have the contours you are famous for.  If that is the case, I wonder how well the pro's will be able to putt these greens.  Could the combination of big contours and lower stimp -- if they both exist -- throw off some of the world's best players?   

Jim, I found putting there difficult as the report outlined, not by virtue of speed, but trying to compute so many factors. The overall fall of the land, the dominant albeit smaller landforms neighbouring the greens, and finally the internal contouring of the putting surfaces themselves.  They were very well presented putting surfaces and very consistent in speed, across the course. They will be slower than US pro players are used to.  Perhaps as you do, I expect the pro players might struggle a little with the putting. Especially Adam.

Matthew
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Matt_Ward

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2008, 08:18:49 PM »
Tom Doak, et al:

How "relentless" is CK ?

Beyond the argument that "if" wind blows like a hurricane or something of that type.

I mean in a sense of how relentless is often applied to certain courses here in the States.

Thanks for your thoughtful replies.

One last thing -- for those who have plaued Kauri Cliffs I have to wonder if it's the Old Head version for New Zealand. The comments from the anti-crowd on Old Head is that it's all site -- but little, if any, substance. I don't concur with the comments from those who see Old Head in that light but wonder if Kauri Cliffs is such a thing given what Jonathan said and what others have weighed in with thus far.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 08:41:16 PM »
Matt,

I think if you were playing a tournament round it would be relentless because off the back tees  it asks for a stream of well played and quite difficult shots - and there are some severe penalties at a few holes for a wayward shot.
The fairway are very wide and that takes away the relentlessness of having to hit dead straight on every hole.
Playing it for fun it is not relentless at all - its just fun all the way.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back