News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

goldj

Prestwick or Western Gailes?
« on: July 03, 2008, 09:00:33 AM »
I'm headed to Scotland tonight and find that I'll have time for one more round during my stay on the west coast there.  I'm already booked at Turnberry Ailsa and Troon but should be able to fit in a round at either Prestwock or Western Gailes.

Suggestions?

Jim

Bart Bradley

Re: Prestwick or Western Gailes?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 09:02:34 AM »
Both are wonderful and fun but Prestwick is a can't miss.

I vote Prestwick.

Bart

kconway

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 09:18:51 AM »
I have to say I have not played Prestwick, but I have played WG twice and I found both the atmospherse and golf were great.

I would play here instead of Troon anyday...really a great place!!

Jim Franklin

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 09:26:56 AM »
I played both and both are terrific, can't go wrong. Prestwick has more aura so to speak and is a little more quirky (which is cool), but I loved Western Gailes and would play there instead. Again, can't go wrong here.
Mr Hurricane

Joe Fairey

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 09:32:17 AM »
Jim,

If you love golf, you've got to play Prestwick...home of the Open championship...true links golf...

Jim Franklin

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 09:35:49 AM »
Jim,

If you love golf, you've got to play Prestwick...home of the Open championship...true links golf...

If you love history you play Prestwick, if you love golf you play Western Gailes, a better links golf course.
Mr Hurricane

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 09:37:42 AM »
not many times do you get to play the "original" of a hole...Alps.  both are good, but play Prestwick.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 09:39:11 AM »
Prestwick or ditch Troon and play both!
Cave Nil Vino

Jason Topp

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 09:40:01 AM »
Both are among my favorite.  If only one, Prestwick.  I agree that both are better than Troon.

john_stiles

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 09:50:02 AM »
Seriously, if you are playing Troon on a visitor day (not with a member), I would think about skipping Troon and playing Prestwick and Western Gailes.

Troon can be very slow on a visitor day.  Maybe things have improved in that respect.    Not sure of your arrangement, but often the visitor gig at Troon includes golf and lunch and perhaps a round on the Portland.   Obviously they 'include' a lunch in their price.    The lunch is marvelous and Troon is very welcoming, but when you are 'over there', well, you are there to play golf.    Of course, you can blow off the 'paid' scrumpous lunch and skip out to play elsewhere.

If you definitely have a whole day set aside for Troon,  have a lunch and dilly dally in the clubhouse.

Chris Ord

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 10:00:53 AM »
having not played western gailes, i couldn't say for sure, but i loved my day at prestwick. despite cold temperatures and horizontal rain, i had a warm feeling walking over the same land where the first open championship was held.  the alps hole, the himalayas, the cardinal bunker, the sahara bunker -- classic stuff. 

hhuffines

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 10:04:19 AM »
Prestwick!!!  One of my most fun rounds and a place I would go back to in a heartbeat...  A great place to go after a round at Troon which I recommend as well.  Have fun!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 10:06:23 AM »
Ditch Turnberry and play both Prestwick and Western Gailes

kconway

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 10:10:58 AM »
Regarding Turnberry, i have mixed feelings.  I love the setting and the holes along the water are unbeatable.  Also I think 16 is a truly great and challenging shortish par 4. 

On the other hand, the last time I played it was a very, very slow slog...5+ hour round. 

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 10:11:35 AM »
Sticking to the question he asked - it seems he's thought this through and only has the time for one or the other, and the choices ofg Troon and Turnberry are already made - I'd say Jim Franklin nailed it.

Prestwick is a history lesson and in that sense very, very fun.

Western Gailes is a superior links golf course.

Pick accordingly - greater history or better links?

My advice would be this:  you are likely playing quite a few great links in addition to Turnberry and Troon.  Western Gailes would just be one more - a fantastic one indeed, but just another to add to the list.

You will play nothing quite like Prestwick.

So I'd go for the unique....

TH

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2008, 10:14:32 AM »
don't skip Turnberry though...whoa, what a special place to me. 

Les Cordes

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2008, 10:15:33 AM »
ditch troon...western gailles and prestwick were my favorites!!!

plabatt

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 10:22:56 AM »
One of the best bits of advice given: when playing Prestwick, take a caddy for the morning round.  He will guide you through the course nuances.  Then play again, after lunch, carrying your clubs and enjoy the history and unique (quirky) character of this links.  A day of golf that will stay with me forever!

Petey

Mark Smolens

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 10:59:04 AM »
"Obviously they 'include' a lunch in their price.    The lunch is marvelous and Troon is very welcoming, but when you are 'over there', well, you are there to play golf.    Of course, you can blow off the 'paid' scrumpous lunch and skip out to play elsewhere."

Skip the golfer's buffet at Troon?  I must've had 9 pieces of that cold roasted chicken that day.  It was the best meal I had on that entire trip!

Prestwick vs. Western Gailes is Heidi Klum vs. Cindy Crawford.  You can't go wrong either way.  Each place has so many pluses and so few minuses.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2008, 11:15:55 AM »
The Troon buffet is good -- but not great.  It might be better than most of the golf there tho....

Despite some average holes Turnberry is great, so of course keep in on your rota. 

Troon is a Rota course and if you want to play a Rota course you must play it. 

I liked Troon and Western Gailes equally -- which isn't saying much. 

I LOVE Prestwick, for all the reasons mentioned above, and MY preferred playing order would be: Turnberry, Prestwick; if time, Troon (Rota), Western Gailes.

Note I  skipped the 2nd round at the other Troon course in lieu of an afternoon at Prestwick, but best money (A LOT OF $) I ever spent. 

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2008, 11:32:56 AM »
goldj,

If you want a history lesson and a great deal of quirk by all means play Prestwick. However, if you want an honest to goodness challenge on a wonderful layout,  play Western Gailes. The par threes alone are worth the price of admission.

As for Troon, consider it FLOG not GOLF.

Bob

Rich Goodale

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 11:37:06 AM »
I tend to agree with just about all the posts on this thread which I find very disturbing......

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2008, 12:09:04 PM »
Buck it up and play 36. Both are great and must plays for me. Prestwick is must play for architectural and golf history purposes.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2008, 12:10:31 PM »
Rihc Even a true contrarian finds himself at home every once in a while.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2008, 03:44:51 PM »
play Prestwick twice, WG and T too.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back