News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

Favorite Two-fers! Sunrise at _____, Sunset at _____.
« on: June 30, 2008, 11:14:58 AM »
I'll start with these...

Sunrise at Arcadia Bluffs, sunset at Crystal Downs

Sunrise at MPCC (Shore Course), Sunset at Pebble

Sunrise at Black Mesa, sunset at Paako Ridge

Sunrise at Sanctuary - Sunset at Pradera

Here's one I'd like to try...is it feasible to drive this?

sunrise at Ballyneal, sunset at Sand Hills!  or vice versa!

tlavin

Re: Favorite Two-fers! Sunrise at _____, Sunset at _____.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 11:15:50 AM »
The killer B's:

Butler National in the morning.
Beverly in the afternoon.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 11:18:22 AM »
Just recently enjoyed Oakland Hills in the AM, Franklin Hills, just a few short miles away, in the PM

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 11:18:47 AM »
Jay,

Actually, Las Campanas in Santa Fe has 2 courses: Sunrise and Sunset.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jay Flemma

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 11:31:52 AM »
Just recently enjoyed Oakland Hills in the AM, Franklin Hills, just a few short miles away, in the PM

Nice Joel.  Shaffer good catch.

Here's a good one - Philly Cricket (Wissahickon) at Sunrise, Atlantic City CC at Sunset.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 11:36:29 AM »
Also Mirasol in Palm Beach Gardens, FL has the same for its 2 courses: Sunrise and Sunset

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Dan Kelly

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 11:42:13 AM »
Sunrise at Sutton Bay.

Sunset at Sutton Bay.

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mike Benham

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 11:47:52 AM »
Sunrise at CPC ...

Sunset on the patio of the Hollins House after a round at Pasatiempo ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 11:48:58 AM »
There must be 50 combinations from Newport CC throughout L.I.   

Like Shinny and NGLA isn't in the mix...  ::)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 11:51:50 AM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 11:55:39 AM »
Good Point--next week in Rhode Island will visit Wannamoisett in the AM, Metacomet in the PM

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 12:04:01 PM »
Can you guys help me out with a suggestion? Money and access no object. 

I'd like to start the day on rolling hills, preferably gently rolling hills. Not much water, not too many bunkers. A relatively quiet and understated aesthetic. A private course, and not too crowded. A place to shower, and a simple menu (but something more than hamburgers - I want to stay light on my feet). And an education in golf course architcture, i.e. a course that is an example of one of the old greats' typical work.

In the afternoon, I'd like to be beside some water as the sun goes down; it doesn't have to be an ocean, but it has to be more than a series of ponds. Alongside one of the Great Lakes would be nice. As many bunkers as you'd like, and/or otherwise as difficult as heck. Another education in golf course architecture, but it can be a work that's typical of either an old one or one of the moderns. Public or private; but I'd like to be able to sip a few gin and tonics and have a few cigarettes at the end of the day in relative peace.

PS - from pictures, my three favourite ODGs are Flynn, Maxwell and Fowler...but don't be tied to that; I don't want to ask for too much.

Where would I go for such a thing?

Thanks
Peter 

David Stamm

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 12:06:23 PM »
Sunrise at CPC ...

I'll second this one! Great combo, Mike!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Bart Bradley

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 12:07:04 PM »
Here are my favorite ones I've actually done...

Sunrise:  Grandfather Golf Club                     Sunset:  Diamond Creek

Sunrise:  Dallas National                                Sunset:  Preston Trail

Sunrise:  Turnberry                                        Sunset:  Prestwick

Sunrise:  Austin Country Club                        Sunset:  Austin Golf Club

;D

Bart

David Stamm

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 12:07:46 PM »
Sunrise at Spyglass, sunset at Pebble

"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 12:12:34 PM »

Here's one I'd like to try...is it feasible to drive this?

sunrise at Ballyneal, sunset at Sand Hills!  or vice versa!

I just did this last week -- although I woke up and played 36 at Ballyneal on Wednesday before driving to Sand Hills, and then I actually played Sand Hills and Dismal River the next day.

It's about a 3-hour drive, give or take. It wouldn't be too hard to play both courses in the same day during the early summer.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Dan Kelly

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 12:13:15 PM »
Can you guys help me out with a suggestion? Money and access no object. 

I'd like to start the day on rolling hills, preferably gently rolling hills. Not much water, not too many bunkers. A relatively quiet and understated aesthetic. A private course, and not too crowded. A place to shower, and a simple menu (but something more than hamburgers - I want to stay light on my feet). And an education in golf course architcture, i.e. a course that is an example of one of the old greats' typical work.

In the afternoon, I'd like to be beside some water as the sun goes down; it doesn't have to be an ocean, but it has to be more than a series of ponds. Alongside one of the Great Lakes would be nice. As many bunkers as you'd like, and/or otherwise as difficult as heck. Another education in golf course architecture, but it can be a work that's typical of either an old one or one of the moderns. Public or private; but I'd like to be able to sip a few gin and tonics and have a few cigarettes at the end of the day in relative peace.

PS - from pictures, my three favourite ODGs are Flynn, Maxwell and Fowler...but don't be tied to that; I don't want to ask for too much.

Where would I go for such a thing?

Thanks
Peter 

A Ross-Ross day, Peter:

Start the day in the Twin Cities, at Interlachen, Minikahda or White Bear Yacht Club.

Have your lunch. Head north.

End the day in Duluth, overlooking Lake Superior, at Northland.

I'm free any day you can arrange it!

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 12:18:53 PM »
Sunrise at CPC ...

I'll second this one! Great combo, Mike!

If I ever get the chance to play at Cypress Point, I will be there from sun up to sun down, regardless of my tee time. That place deserves a day unto itself.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Joe Bausch

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 12:27:11 PM »
Makena South at sunrise, then a trip on the "highway to Hana", finally ending up at the Plantation Course at sunset.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 12:28:16 PM »

If I ever get the chance to play at Cypress Point, I will be there from sun up to sun down, regardless of my tee time. That place deserves a day unto itself.

What about Sand Hills didn't?

Tim Bert

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 12:37:45 PM »
We've done just about every sunup to sundown combo possible at Bandon and my favorite for lighting is Trails at sunrise and Pacific at sunset.

Another favorite is Sand Hills for sunrise and Sand Hills for sunset. JK is correct that the day should be spent there in its entirety.

Kyle - if you ever get the chance to play CPC, I suspect you will do what the club wishes even if that means playing 18 and getting the heck off their private property!

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 12:50:49 PM »

What about Sand Hills didn't?

Touche. I wish I would have more time to spend there. As I spent the night there befor my round, I got to experience most of the amenities. Plus, I don't think I'll be able to head back to Mullen anytime soon, so I thought it would be appropriate to see Dismal River while I was in the vicinity. Moreover, Sand Hills only allows 1 unaccompanied group of guests per day.

Cypress Point is only 90 minutes from my place of residence (Pasatiempo 60 minutes), so I could easily make separate trips.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2008, 12:54:03 PM »
Kyle - if you ever get the chance to play CPC, I suspect you will do what the club wishes even if that means playing 18 and getting the heck off their private property!

Touche to you as well...

Heck, I'd be to carry someone's bag around the course and wash dishes afterwards if it meant I could see the place.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2008, 12:56:39 PM »
Last week I had a nice Fazio double-dip:  Black Diamond Ranch Quarry in the a.m. and World Words Pine Barrens in the p.m.

I think my favorite is Waffle House in the a.m. and Lookout Mountain in the p.m.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2008, 01:00:18 PM »

so I thought it would be appropriate to see Dismal River while I was in the vicinity.

How considerate of you.

Tim Bert

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2008, 01:03:31 PM »
I bet Banff - Jasper would be tough to beat if you were willing to put up with the drive.

Two years ago the day after Thanksgiving I did Best Buy sunrise and Target sunset. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back