News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Midwest Mashie
« on: June 27, 2008, 10:51:16 AM »
What happened to this great idea?  It doesn't have to start out big.  All it takes is a few folks to say when and where - jeepers, enough expressed interest in the idea.  If the event is any good, it will grow with time.  Heres the link to the thread.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,34348.0.html

PS I am not volunteering in any way.  My motivation is purely selfish as I am from the Midwest and would welcome reasons to get back there more often.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tom Huckaby

Re: Midwest Mashie
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 10:55:53 AM »
Sean - I think you just DID volunteer.

You of all people know how this goes... you said it yourself... all it takes is a few folks to say where and when...

;)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 10:59:28 AM »
Because of infrastucture restrictions these events are currently going on under an invitation only format.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 11:21:56 AM »
Sean,

I started the thread to see if there was any interest, and was overwhelmed at the responses.

Unfortunately, life's realities (i.e work, family, etc.!) got in the way of my pursuing it any further at the time.

I don't have the time to organize the event myself, but would be willing to help get this off the ground if anyone else would have the time to take the lead.

I have had the fortune of meeting a few from this site and have enjoyed their company immensely.  I can only imagine what fun a group outing would be like.

Scott

"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 11:24:04 AM »
No, I can't take a lead or part in what I think could be the best GCA.com event of all.  It isn't practical for me to be involved as I live across the pond, but I do hope its a goer.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 11:29:32 AM »
Because of infrastucture restrictions these events are currently going on under an invitation only format.

Thereby voiding one of the great charms and attractions of GCA.com, its openness to all.

The Kings Putter and Dixie Cup have been all-inclusive.    You've enjoyed the hospitality of each.

Why not try to organize an event in your part of the country where this open to all welcoming spirit could be continued?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 11:33:00 AM »
When the new Dye course at French Lick opens up it's gonna get crowded around here with "GCAers".  If we regulars could get on some kind of coat tail rate I would be thrilled to do the leg work.

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 11:46:48 AM »

John

Well then, this is not the sort of thing I thought we were all talking about.  Spose I was wrong.  No harm done. 

Ciao 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 11:52:12 AM »

John

Well then, this is not the sort of thing I thought we were all talking about.  Spose I was wrong.  No harm done. 

Ciao 

Sean,

I can't think of a public course in the Midwest that would be a draw for this group, can you? 

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 12:00:50 PM »

John

Ciao 

Sean,

I can't think of a public course in the Midwest that would be a draw for this group, can you? 

John

There are plenty of good public courses in Michigan - certainly good enough to draw a bit of a crowd especially if folks are interested in hooking up.  I am sure there are plenty others scattered about, but I can't think of a load off hand.  That course in Wisconsin by the Mac/Raynor wannabe would interest me.  The Ross course down near you at the resort (French Creek?) would interest me.  This isn't to say that folks can't do their private side trips - thats a given and its fair enough. 

Ciao

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 12:01:58 PM »

John

Ciao 

Sean,

John -- I think most in the group would love a tour of Wild Horse, West Wind, Bayside and a couple of others if they had a week or even just a couple of days.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 12:08:33 PM »
I set up a nice one at Erin Hills last year but could not get a soul to join me at Lawsonia.  Swanson just got done begging to get someone to join him at Greywalls to no avail.  The Midwest just can't draw people on golf alone unless it is one of the big ones.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 12:12:56 PM »

John

Ciao 

Sean,

John -- I think most in the group would love a tour of Wild Horse, West Wind, Bayside and a couple of others if they had a week or even just a couple of days.

This is really hard.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 12:15:51 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Buck Wolter

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 10:42:02 PM »
I'd be in for French Lick -- I played the Ross course in mid-winter and have been itching to get back,  I'll wear my patchwork madras shorts to the Moose Lodge get together.

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Jason Hines

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 11:12:20 PM »
I am in anywhere in the Mid-west preferably west of the Mississippi.  Travel too much during the week to go very far for fun.  Only shot this year is to do later in the fall, this year is screaming by.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 11:34:21 PM »
Might have to watch this thread.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back