News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ken Moum

Re: Wie Forget ...
« Reply #600 on: August 21, 2008, 06:27:39 PM »
One individual's ranking system does just that (I forget his name). You take all the evens that Wie played in. You copare her results against each other player that played thoes events. Then you rank by how each player did relative to each other player in those events they played in common. At one time Wie came out on top in this comparison.

Golfweek/Sagarin. http://www.golfweekrankings.com/template/default.asp?t=lpga

Although she was #1, she never had enough events to make into the published list.

To see her ranking, you have to put her name in the search box.

FWIW, she's currently ranked 40th (with an asterisk for not enough events). I looked at it earlier this year and shes was in the 100s

The methodology is:

Jeff Sagarin’s rating system is based on a mathematical formula that uses a player’s won-lost-tied record against other players when they play on the same course on the same day, and the stroke differential between those players, then links all players to one another based on common opponents. The ratings give an indication of who is playing well over the past 52 weeks.

The following list is an explanation of each category Sagarin uses to formulate his rankings.

POWER RATING: This is NOT a stroke average. The rating is calculated using a player’s record, stroke differential and connection to all the other players in the database. However, It does represent the typical score you can expect a player to shoot; the difference between two ratings predicts the difference between two players in a typical round.

SCHEDULE STRENGTH: The average strength of each event in which the player has played, calculated using the power ratings of every player in every field.

SCHEDULE RANK: The player’s schedule is ranked by difficulty among the entire database.

RECORDS: A player’s won-lost-tied record, based on head-to-head competition, in each category. The winner in a 156-player field has a record of 155-0-0, the runner-up is 154-1-0, etc.

EVENTS PLAYED:

MEN -- 11 needed to qualify on nine worldwide tours: PGA Tour, PGA European Tour, Nationwide Tour, Japan Golf Tour, Southern Africa Tour, PGA Tour of AustralAsia, Asian PGA Tour, European Challenge Tour and the Canadian Tour.

WOMEN -- 10 needed to qualify on four worldwide tours: LPGA Tour, Ladies European Tour, Duramed FUTURES Tour and the Japan LPGA Tour.

Ke
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 06:31:04 PM by kmoum »
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

MargaretC

« Reply #601 on: August 21, 2008, 07:28:18 PM »
I hate to do this, but some people fail to understand the "hype" that Michelle Wie generated before the age of 15....please note, that for a girl that "needs to learn how to win", she sure has won a lot.  Here's some "hype"....

2000 - 10 years old

As a 10 year old, Michelle Wie participated in various junior hawaii tournaments, usually in various age brackets such as 11-12 or 14-15 or adult ladies events.
She won various events including:
- OJGA Stroke Play Tournament At Hawaii Country Club, Girls 11-12
- OJGA Nine Hole Stroke Play Tournament At Kapolei Course Girls 11-12
- Mayor's Cup at the Ala Wai Golf Course - ladies flight
- OJGA Tour Championship At Makaha Valley Country Club Girls 11-12

She also became the youngest ever qualifier for the US Women’s Amateur Public Links Competition at 10 years of age, and she qualified through the stroke play section of that tournament before being knocked out in the first round of matchplay.

2001 - 11 years old

Michelle Wie won her first event of the year:
- OJGA Stroke Play Tournament At Hawaii Prince Golf Club, Girls 11-12
She won this event by 11 strokes and it was clear that she needed to play more with older age groups to get more competition, and this appears to be the time she started to play against more ladies adult competition.

Playing more events with ladies adults did not hurt her progress and she went through a raft of titles, winning all the major Hawaii stroke play titles with the exception of the Hawaii State Open (where she came 2nd and which she came back to the following year and won by 13 strokes).

Some of her ladies victories included:
- Jennie K. Wilson Invitational at Mid-Pacific Country Club (the most prestigious women’s amateur tournament in Hawaii) (won by 9 strokes).
- Hawaii State Women’s Stroke Play Championship at Mid-Pacific Country Club
- HSJGA Junior Tour, girls 15-18, at the Poipu Bay Golf Course
- Hawaii State Junior Golf Association’s Tournament of Champions - Girls 15-18.

She also tried her hand at some Hawaii mens events including:
- Manoa Cup Hawaii State Amateur Match-Play Championship (first and youngest female (age 11) to qualify for match-play dating back to 1907).
- Mayor's Cup Golf Tournament, 2001- Championship Flight, 25th place.

She again qualified for the US Women’s Publc Links and improved on her previous performance, getting to the last 16 (3rd round) of the competition.

2002 - 12 years old

At this stage it was becoming obvious that there was not much competition for Michelle in Hawaii ladies golf competitions. So attention started to focus more on the mainland for women's events, as well as playing some mens events in Hawaii.

Mens
- In early 2002 she played in a Hawaii mens professional tournament, The Hilo Invitational Golf Tournament, where she finished 47th of the 124 players. The tournament was won by pga tour pro Dean Wilson.
- She also came 17th in the Hawaii State Amateur Stroke-Play Championship (MENS).
- At the Manoa Cup, she became the first and youngest female (age 12) to advance to the second-round of match play.

Ladies
- In February, Michelle entered qualifying for the lpga event, The Takefuji Classic, where she qualified, and became the youngest player ever to Monday Qualify for an lpga tour event (at 12 years of age). The previous youngest was Natalie Gulbis at 14. At the event itself she shot rounds of 72 and 74 to miss the cut by 3 strokes.
- In July, Wie entered Monday qualifying for another lpga event, The Wendy’s Championship and again qualified, this time with medalist honors. At the event itself, she missed the cut by just 2 strokes.
- Between those lpga events, she had again qualified for the US Women’s Publinx and this time improved her performance again, getting to the Semi-Finals of the competition, a performance that meant she automatically qualified for the following years competition.
- She also played the Trans National Women's Amateur Championship, and became the Youngest Junior Medalist in the history of the event.

More Mens Events
After the majority of her mainland ladies events, she went back to Hawaii, and played 3 adult male amateur tournaments. Her results were:
- Barbers Point Invitational Tournament, 4th place.
- Hickam Invitational Tournament, 5th place.
- Mayor's Cup Golf Tournament, 2002- Championship Flight, 20th place.

2003  - 13 years old

MENS
- After such a successful 2002 season, she started her 2003 campaign by attempting to qualify for the pga event, the Sony Open. She shot a very credible 73 (1 over) from the championship tees (Par 72) at the Pearl Country Club, but did not qualify for the Sony Open itself.
- Next she played the Hawaii Pearl Open where she made the cut and finished 43rd in the 193 player field.
- Next she played the Hawaii State Amateur Stroke-Play Championship and had a very impressive 4th place finish. To put this result in context, Wie was 13 years old and this field of male amateurs included Parker McLaughlin (who Wie finished 8 strokes ahead of). Parker would go on to gain a full pga tour card for the 2007 season.

LADIES
- In March 2003, Michelle received a sponsors exemption to the Kraft Nabisco Championship. The Kraft Tournament had a long history of giving exemptions to top amateurs, and because of Michelle’s excellent amateur record, as well as her two successful attempts at qualifying for lpga tour events her exemption was well deserved. However, as much as people had been impressed by her record, most were shocked when she recorded a 9th place finish there. Nobody of that age had ever made a cut in a major, let alone finished in the top 10.
- She also went through qualification for the US Women’s Open and qualified. At the US Women’s Open itself, she placed a very credibile 39th, becoming the youngest player to make the cut at the US Women’s Open.
- Add to this she won the US Women’s Public Links Competition, (the youngest player ever to win an adult usga event).

The combination of these successes meant that lpga tournaments were eagerly lining up to offer her exemptions to play their events.
- In total she played 7 lpga events in 2003, missing the cut in just one of those events (by one stroke at the Jamie Farr Classic) and making the cut in all 6 other events, with placings of 9th, 28th, 33rd, 38th, 52nd and 69th.

I won't bother with her results at age 14,15 and 16....needless to say she continued to excell...

Thanks, Craig!

What makes the above record even more amazing is that occurred during a significant period of childhood development.  The bodies of boys and girls change tremendously between the ages of 10 and 18.  Hard to imagine how many times she has had to adjust her game to adapt to her physical changes.

I truly don't get all of the Wie-bashing.  Her parents are her parents.  Kids don't get to pick their parents.  From a kid's perspective, they raised her and love her.  Michelle can't be expected to see the flaws in her parents that others see.

Hard to say what drives the vitriol that gets spewed in her direction.  I think it's sad -- pathetic, actually.  She's barely a young-adult.  I can't imagine having to deal with such venom.

Meg

MargaretC

« Reply #602 on: August 21, 2008, 07:32:51 PM »
Could this topic have longer legs than Merion?

Bob:

I think it does.  I was away for 2-3 weeks and this pot is still boiling.  Go figure.   ::)

Meg

MargaretC

« Reply #603 on: August 21, 2008, 07:37:27 PM »
Could this topic have longer legs than Merion?

maybe, but not likely. This thread is only half way to the number of Merion posts.

JKM,
How could Michelle Wie have committed to playing full time on the LPGA Tour 2 or 3 years ago? You have to be 18 years old to be a LPGA member. She's 18 now.

She could have, and should have, petitioned the Tour for membership. She was the most marketable female golfer on the planet at the time. They would have been completely stupid not to have given her full exemption. But instead, here we are today.

JKM:

...She was the most marketable female golfer on the planet at the time. They would have been completely stupid not to have given her full exemption. But instead, here we are today.

Shame on me, but isn't that a given with the LPGA?   :o

Meg

John Moore II

« Reply #604 on: August 21, 2008, 10:18:26 PM »
Margaret--Not sure what the shame is about and what you mean-please explain?

Jim Nugent

« Reply #605 on: August 22, 2008, 02:00:44 AM »
JKM, she is being polite while saying the LPGA makes foolish decisions. 

MargaretC

« Reply #606 on: August 22, 2008, 09:01:58 AM »
Margaret--Not sure what the shame is about and what you mean-please explain?

JKM:

I have a very LOW opinion of the "leadership" (aka Carolyn Bivens) of the LPGA.

So, your comment that, ...They would have been completely stupid not to have given her full exemption... to me, the "...completely stupid..." is just what I have come to expect from Carolyn Bivens.

The shame is on me for being rude and blunt.

Meg

MargaretC

« Reply #607 on: August 22, 2008, 09:04:12 AM »
JKM, she is being polite while saying the LPGA makes foolish decisions. 

Jim:

My rudeness didn't deserve your kindness.   :-[

Thanks!

Meg

John Moore II

« Reply #608 on: August 22, 2008, 03:02:42 PM »
Margaret--Sometimes rudeness and bluntness are quite needed in society, I find it refreshing. Reminds me of, well, me.

MargaretC

« Reply #609 on: August 22, 2008, 03:21:18 PM »
Margaret--Sometimes rudeness and bluntness are quite needed in society, I find it refreshing. Reminds me of, well, me.

JKM:

You're right!  And the "...sometimes..." are generally anytime there's a discussion regarding Carolyn Bivens.  Why she was selected and how she keeps her job are a mystery.   ???

Meg

Edit:  PS:  Glad that I didn't offend you.   ;)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 03:23:31 PM by MargaretC »

John Moore II

« Reply #610 on: August 22, 2008, 03:44:10 PM »

JKM:

You're right!  And the "...sometimes..." are generally anytime there's a discussion regarding Carolyn Bivens.  Why she was selected and how she keeps her job are a mystery.   ???

Meg

Edit:  PS:  Glad that I didn't offend you.   ;)

Its rare that I am offended by anything. But it does happen. Frankness about society is never a way to offend me though. I am more offended by 'pussyfooting' around sensitive situations than being blunt about it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back