News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Cirba

Did you ever caddie?
« on: June 25, 2008, 11:48:04 AM »
Having the delightful privilege yesterday of meeting former US Publinx and Philadelphia Open champion Joe Coble's 97-year-old caddie yesterday, and having been a former caddie myself, I'm curious to know how many folks here caddied as a kid...or as an adult.   

At the time, growing up lower-middle-class in NE PA, it was the only way I could get behind the gates of private clubs in the area, sometimes just to see and walk a course, and I can't help but think that the loss of the caddy system in American golf is one of the saddest of all events in the history of the game in this country.   It was as educational and beneficial in how to conduct one's self and a greater study in sociology than any classroom setting I've ever experienced.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 11:53:43 AM by MikeCirba »

Tom Huckaby

Re: Did you ever caddie?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 11:51:35 AM »
Hell yes I caddied.

El Caballero CC, Tarzana, CA.   Two full summers as a teenager.  Great money at the time.  Then after that, I have been pressed into service for friends from time to time doing tournaments.

I must say I was DAMN good, too.  I am a plus 5 handicap caddie.  I keep telling Benham if he gets to a big event he will need me on the bag, but so far said event hasn't happened.

TH

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 11:55:07 AM »
Caddie?...I've never mowed a lawn.  That's a no.

rjsimper

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 11:55:39 AM »
I did not, however I worked in the bag room, cart barn and later the pro shop of the local "expensive" private club and feel this accomplished some of the same good for me that a caddie program (which they did not have) would have

Casey Wade

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 11:58:43 AM »
I caddied for a couple of years at Point O' Woods in Benton Harbor, Michigan.  Home of the Western Amateur.  Never had anyone special.  Probably because I was 13.
Some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 11:59:01 AM »
no, no, Tom...

I AM the best caddie who ever lived, and I have the $400 tip in early 1980s dollars to prove it after teaching a rich chop how to hit a bunker shot out of a plugged lie... ;)

You need to get down here and rate that guys course.  It needs a bump.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 12:00:22 PM »
Mike, agree with your comments.  Had the pleasure of caddying at Baltusrol in the 60's.  Couple of thrills were caddying for a guy by the name of Bob Creasy the weekend before the '67 Open.  Always remember his name because of Bob Griese.  Anyway turns out he was the head of the PGA.  As we got off the 9th green Nicklaus and Dean Bemean joined up for two holes.  A thrill.

Didn't know anything about Ben Hogan at the time.  On Sunday before the Open while the course was not open to the public some of the pros were practicing.  On the 8th hole Hogan's caddy, whom I knew, asked me to get a soda for Ben at the half way house.  Got it, handed it top Mr. Hogan.  Never paid for it and not even a thank you. 

Caddying taught me lots about America at the time.  After the Newark racial riots the caddy shack was full of televisions, etc.  Learned how to play cards and went to the track.  Learned that the best tips came from outings.  Remember a steel salesman who gave me a very nice tip and he was just thrilled to play a course such as Baltusrol. 

Loved playing Mondays.  At that time only played the Upper but that was just fine.  When I played other golf it was at the local muni.  From Baltusrol to literally mats for tees...brings back good memories..

Phil Benedict

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 12:02:00 PM »
I caddied for my older brothers when they were in there late teens early 20's.  Got hit by a club my middle brother (who is four years older than I) threw after a poor shot.  I assume it was an accident, since the incident occurred when my brother was in his club-throwing prime.  In any case it ended my caddying career.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 12:04:03 PM »
no, no, Tom...

I AM the best caddie who ever lived, and I have the $400 tip in early 1980s dollars to prove it after teaching a rich chop how to hit a bunker shot out of a plugged lie... ;)

Never said I was the best, just that I was damn good.

I bow to you, oh great one.

TH

Jay Flemma

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 12:05:44 PM »
Yup.

I also know Matt Ward is a good caddie.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 12:07:57 PM »
Yup.

I also know Matt Ward is a good caddie.

"Is?"

Do tell... there must be a story behind this.... present tense?

TH

Chuck Brown

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 12:09:20 PM »
Absolutely.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 12:14:08 PM »
Was it ever common for members kids to caddie?  A couple of weeks ago while sitting in the grill a member came up to us and said his son was one of our caddies.  The guy who was just talking about how lousy a job his caddie had done did a little dance in his seat until we figured out it was not the members kid.

Jed Peters

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 12:16:07 PM »
I was the grandson of a member--if that counts--at Orinda Country Club where I caddied on weekends in my youth.

Ken Moum

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 12:17:38 PM »
No, but I mowed greens, raked bunkers, hand dug French drains, topdressed and hand-dragged greens, cut cups......

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 12:18:09 PM »
Was it ever common for members kids to caddie?  A couple of weeks ago while sitting in the grill a member came up to us and said his son was one of our caddies.  The guy who was just talking about how lousy a job his caddie had done did a little dance in his seat until we figured out it was not the members kid.

At El Cab it was more the exception than the norm... and I'd guess it was the same elsewhere... the kids of the members didn't particularly need to make pocket money.

TH

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 12:20:03 PM »
As someone who has never watched the movie Caddyshack, i have to ask.  Were any of the caddies in the movie members of Bushwood?

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 12:20:37 PM »
I caddied for a couple of years at Point O' Woods in Benton Harbor, Michigan.  Home of the Western Amateur.  Never had anyone special.  Probably because I was 13.

I can't believe you walked...let alone carried a bag.

Gib Carpenter

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 12:21:17 PM »
I caddied at Aronimink in College for $12/bag plus $3 tip if we were lucky. I remember the heavy leather Burton Bags that cut into my shoulders...

I learned to play at Cobbs Creek back when you would regularly find abandoned cars (or worse) in the bunkers...

Every time I see some smacked-ass acting like a spoiled child at a beautiful private club, I'm reminded how lucky I am to be able to play such great courses, and grateful for the way that I was exposed to the game.
GCA/AOK

John_Conley

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 12:22:30 PM »
I caddied a tremendous amount and attended college on an Evans Scholarship.

Patrick Hodgdon from the board is getting married this week so I don't know if he'll be able to post.  I'll answer for him.  He caddied a lot too.

Garry Cox

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 12:26:15 PM »
I caddied at Olympia Fields CC for 3 years.  I agree with Mike Cirba's post.  The experience instilled in me a life long love of the game.  The tutelage of Art Cashcetta, the caddy master, and his ever present cigar are memories that I will carry forever.

Garry

Bill Gayne

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 12:27:08 PM »
John K.

At Royal Portrush in Northern Ireland I had an adult member caddy for me. I don't think it's unusual that at some of the links courses in the UK and Ireland to have members that also caddy.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 12:40:01 PM »
'Caddying' at a blue collar Northern English club was a rather different deal... My parents were the Steward and Stewardess so we lived on site. When I was 13 until 15 I 'caddied' for the professional - Leo Feeney - in his friendly matches at the club which was hugely enjoyable and quite an education; he was an excellent golfer. However this 'caddying' meant pulling his staff bag on a pull cart and clubbing him when he let me,  keeping the clubs clean, tending the flagstick, and occasionally shagging balls on the range for him - this was the most fun as he's sometimes have me catch the wedge shots after one bounce left hand them right hand depending on the draw or cut spin. I did this for a year or so and then he announced that he had a tournament coming up in Nottingham (at Sherwood Forest. I think I recall) and I'd be caddying for him if I was free. No pull carts at professional tournaments - I'm embarrassed  to say that I wasn't ready for that and, man, are those 1970's leather staff bags heavy!
Story aside, I did learn absolutely all you need to know about golf over those three years and that includes course management, shotmaking, etiquette and a fair bit about gambling, oneupmanship etc.. Quite how I turned out to be such a mediocre player is a mystery, really.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 12:42:39 PM »
I caddied a tremendous amount and attended college on an Evans Scholarship.

Patrick Hodgdon from the board is getting married this week so I don't know if he'll be able to post.  I'll answer for him.  He caddied a lot too.

Getting married has nothing to do with not being on the board. (On Wed. Anyway  ;D )

This is my 11th summer at Interlachen Country Club (John's alma mater) and having now got a full-tim 9-5 I will probably be relegated to a "weekend warrior." I also caddied 4 winters at Calusa Pines. I feel very privileged to have caddied at two top-100 clubs and would be happy to answer any questions anyone has.  
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 12:43:10 PM »

Resented the few members kids that caddied.  They didn't need the money...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back