News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

Re: Did you ever caddie?
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 12:44:01 PM »
I caddied at Aronimink in College for $12/bag plus $3 tip if we were lucky. I remember the heavy leather Burton Bags that cut into my shoulders...

I learned to play at Cobbs Creek back when you would regularly find abandoned cars (or worse) in the bunkers...

Every time I see some smacked-ass acting like a spoiled child at a beautiful private club, I'm reminded how lucky I am to be able to play such great courses, and grateful for the way that I was exposed to the game.

Based on your wages, you caddied around the same time I did at Apple Ridge (nothing better than eating fresh apples while you looped!)and Hackensack. I now hate Burton bags!  But you neglected to mention that we had to wear LONG pants when we caddied!

By the way, I have my new GCA ultra light bag and all the caddies LOVE me!

Tim Leahy

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 12:45:38 PM »
Yes, in college at Brentwood CC in Santa Monica. Found out the course was open to caddies on Mondays and got in a few rounds. Also got to caddie for some celebrities at the club: Ernie Banks, yes he did play two rounds, Gene Barry, and Barney Miller aka Hal Linden. My last round was a nightmare couples Sunday afternoon tourny much like the Havershams in Caddy Shack. Got to here some great stories in the real caddyshack from the A caddies, mostly old guys who would get their money and run to Hollywood Park or Santa Anita, one guy said he caddied for Hogan in the Sacramento and Oakland opens. I had never even known there was a Sacramento and Oakland Open.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 12:48:34 PM »
I caddied for a couple of teen years at the Meadow Club and Marin Golf Club. As the new kid I got the two old ladies with heavy bags who played army golf. The occasional round with good players kept me interested. Great learning experience.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 12:50:29 PM »
Was it ever common for members kids to caddie?  A couple of weeks ago while sitting in the grill a member came up to us and said his son was one of our caddies.  The guy who was just talking about how lousy a job his caddie had done did a little dance in his seat until we figured out it was not the members kid.

Resented the few members kids that caddied.  They didn't need the money...

Thanks.  At what age back in the day did an African American become old enough to caddie?  I just don't seem to recall ever seeing a young black man caddie.

Jed Peters

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2008, 12:54:11 PM »

Thanks.  At what age back in the day did an African American become old enough to caddie?  I just don't seem to recall ever seeing a young black man caddie.

In the south, they were actually not considered caddies, but tagged along as "jam boys".

Horribly disgusting, but true.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 01:07:09 PM by Jed Peters »

Mike Benham

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2008, 01:03:26 PM »

I keep telling Benham if he gets to a big event he will need me on the bag, but so far said event hasn't happened.

Not a good sign when my future caddie is already complaining about the bag he got stuck with ....
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 01:58:07 PM by Mike Benham »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Bill Brightly

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2008, 01:05:00 PM »
Was it ever common for members kids to caddie?  A couple of weeks ago while sitting in the grill a member came up to us and said his son was one of our caddies.  The guy who was just talking about how lousy a job his caddie had done did a little dance in his seat until we figured out it was not the members kid.

Resented the few members kids that caddied.  They didn't need the money...

Cliff, what a ridiculous comment! Not every member of a club is wealthy. Most would like to see their children learn the value of hard work. I bought my first car with the money I earned caddying. And of course caddying is a great way to really learn the game, as well as how to carry on a conversation with adults.

I could go on, but I'll leave you with this: now that my Dad has passed, I treasure the many four hour blocks of time I got to spend with my Dad watching him play the game he loved.

Jordan Caron

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2008, 01:16:08 PM »
My club never had a caddie program growing up but I did caddie for the Canadian Tour Q-School from 1995-1997 and in three Morningstar Classics from 95-97.  It was fun but it definitely opened my eyes to the depth of skill out there.  One year I had a guy that didn't even sniff low 80's in his 3 rounds at Q-School. 

JC Jones

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2008, 01:22:39 PM »
Absolutely.

Walnut Hills Country Club - East Lansing, MI.

Its THE best way for a kid to learn the game.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2008, 01:30:55 PM »
Before I turned 16 I caddied at Hopmeadow CC in Simsbury, CT; after turning 16 I worked in the bag room/cart barn.  The bag room/cart barn job might've been the best job I've ever had -- it was certainly the most fun.   

Mike Benham

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2008, 02:01:26 PM »
I caddie a few loops at Stanford including the fundraising tournament they had hosted by Tom Watson.  I was in a group with JC Snead one year (the golf team members got the chore of carrying the big staff bags), very nice guy ...

I have had my son's caddie for me in tournaments which was a nice distraction as I also worried about him getting the way of the other players and that anything I said or did would get back to his mother ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

tlavin

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2008, 02:02:55 PM »
I didn't, which I consider a childhood deprivation, to tell you the truth.  A number of my nephews have caddied, including a pair of twin 13 year olds who started this season at Beverly.  I had them in my loop on their first day on the course.  It went great, until one of them got hit while fore-caddying (don't even get me started on this ridiculous and dangerous practice) on the 18th hole.  He got hit in the shin and refused to take the bag off his shoulder, saying he'd rather "walk it off".  A keeper.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2008, 03:30:56 PM »
Bill..you may call it a "ridiculous comment" but sorry it's the truth.  I don't believe that there were members kids at the club mentioned who were hurting for money.  BTW most of us were working for tuition money....

As to learning to love the game playing with your dad is certainly a great way.  One need not caddy.  My special moments are playing with my son. He has never caddied for me and has learned to appreciate the game....Nor is it necessary to caddy to learn to talk to adults.   

I have no disagreement that no matter what your income your children should learn the value of hard work.  Should they be working though at their parents country club?  Would it not be better to learn how to get a job on your own?  Also, how long do you think the members kids waited for a loop versus others?  Simply don't agree with you on this one.  Oh, not surprisingly members kids never sat foot in the caddy shack.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 03:32:55 PM by Cliff Hamm »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2008, 03:50:46 PM »
I'll caddy for my wife whenever she plays in club events.  Pretty low price for increasing her addiction to golf :)

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2008, 04:13:24 PM »
2 years Maplewood Country Club, NJ - designed by the members and home of the inventor of the tee...
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2008, 04:18:24 PM »
My daughters WILL caddy when they're old enough. 

I told my son about the caddy program at Sankaty Head and he said something like, "Dad that's hard work!"

Not sure where he got the idea that carrying a bag around Nantucket in the summer breeze is hard work.  ???

Caddied at:

Bala GC - William Flynn
Whitemarsh CC - George Thomas
Newport CC - Ross, Tilly

Disease started early.

Whenever I take a caddy today, I always let them know that I used to carry so that they understand that we are building a team for the day.

Doug Wright

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2008, 04:32:50 PM »
Yes I caddied for 3 years in my early teens at Bartlett CC, the only private club in the Olean NY area. We weren't members, and it gave me access to playing there on Mondays, which at the time was my primary reason for doing it. In hindsight it was a good learning experience.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2008, 04:37:40 PM »
Most famous golfer (in my group not on his bag) was Sam Snead.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2008, 04:44:28 PM »
Yup.

I also know Matt Ward is a good caddie.

"Is?"

Do tell... there must be a story behind this.... present tense?

TH

Matty forecaddied for Eddie Peck, John Frew, Kevin Snifen and i at a Met Golf Writers Event at Alpine last year.  he was great except for one ;D moment of temporary insanity when he thought we should play aball from under a tree branch.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2008, 04:49:06 PM »
Most famous golfer (in my group not on his bag) was Sam Snead.

Mike - can you share a little bit about that? What was old Sam like? I think it was Jack Nicklaus who mentioned he'd never seen anyone who could hit so many different shots...

Thanks
Peter

David Stamm

« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2008, 04:59:03 PM »
Yes. I caddied at Del Mar CC one summer. I also caddied a couple of years for Buick big wigs when they would play in the pro am at Torrey Pines. Was in Chip Beck's group one year and have never met a nicer tour pro.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2008, 05:00:23 PM »
There were no clubs within at least 1.5-2 hours of my house growing up that even had caddies, so no.  

Caddied once in a Celebrity Players Tour event at age 31, but much to my chagrin, the player rode, so it wasn't the full experience I was hoping for.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2008, 05:06:47 PM »
Peter,

I am sorry to say that if you go to that d bag thread and insert Sam Snead, you are getting close.

I was only in Snead's group for 2 practice rounds with Jerry Barber (won the PGA one year) who I caddied for. Barber was okay, but standing at about 5' 4' next to me, well he is short and had a chip on his shoulder.

To put it in context, it is 1984 and The Senior Tour is just getting on its legs and they play a Merrill Lynch tournament at Newport CC. It is one thing when Snead yells at his caddy, but it is another thing when he yells at his Amateur playing partner from Merrill Lynch who was a very good player and putted out on one or two holes at the end when he was out of the team match, but he wanted to post a real score at historic, famous, beautiful, fun, fantastic Newport Country Club. Now at this point, this is a mulligan for these senior guys and here was a brand name in Snead yelling at the corporate sponsor who was a very good player. Just did not make any sense to me.

Big thing all the Seniors wanted was to have Hogan come come out for a few tournaments, but they all knew that was not going to happen.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 05:08:36 PM by Mike Sweeney »

PCCraig

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2008, 05:28:23 PM »
Caddied on and off for 5 years at The Glen Club in Glenview, Il and at TCC - Brookline while in summer school in College.
H.P.S.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2008, 05:32:21 PM »
Caddied two weeks ago for the first time in my life -- for my daughter.

Hope to do it often in the future -- until she needs someone better.

-- Both of my daughters have caddied -- and mostly hated it (present company excepted).
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back