News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Mosely

How much devereux emmet remains at Congressional?
« on: June 22, 2008, 02:49:46 PM »
...it's been through a lot of Rees-storation...how much emmet is left and why don't we discuss it much?

David Stamm

Re: How much devereux emmet remains at Congressional?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 03:03:31 PM »
Mike, I don't know the specifics, but from what I've been told from those in the know, Congressional is an Emmet in name only. Rees' father changed alot when he first got a hold of it by combining(?) holes from the blue(?) and the gold(?) courses, but I may be wrong about that.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Paul Carey

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 09:15:51 PM »
I think it has little RTJ Sr. except for the routing....I would guess no Emmet influence is left.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 04:04:08 AM »
Nothing of emmet is left.  The entire course was mowed under during WWII and the course used by miltary officers (like Turnberry) for training.  A somewhat unknown bit is that emmet originally started the course from around where the current first tee is and ended that first hole around where the current second green is....an opening hole par 6 of 6xx yards!!  Today it's a par 4 and par 3.  JC

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 06:11:07 AM »
I had thought RTJ had pretty much overhauled the course completely in the 60s but Craig Disher posted an old aerial a few years ago that showed a number of holes were the same. Hopefully he'll see this thread.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back