News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Bourgeois

Insane Hole from Pre-BUDA: Anstruther GC's "Rockies"
« on: June 22, 2008, 07:28:49 AM »
I submit that until you've played this hole your par-3 education is incomplete.  Anstruther's 5th hole is a 235-yard par 3 named "Rockies."

A Scylla and Charybdis hole, with the Firth of Forth playing the role of Scylla -- wait, that has to be Charybdis! -- and the side of a mountain playing Scylla.

Let's have a discussion of how to play this hole, assuming no forecaddies and in firm and fast conditions.  Please note the apron / fairway and green cant severely from mountain to sea.

Here's how Mark Pearce said he'd play it -- from an April 2008 thread:
That's tough (rather than scary in the way the 141 yarder under ciscussion is scary) but not as tough as the 5th at Anstruther which BUDAites may play in June.  235 yards into the wind with the North Sea hard on the left and a hill jutting out into the fairway on the right turning this into a 235 yard dogleg par 3.  When I played it last summer with the wind in and from the left the only shot at the green was to try to fade a driver.  I put 4 balls in the sea.  My 11 year old son played it as a par 4 (he can't hit it 235 yards) and made 4.  I suspect most members including the low handicappers would play it as a 4 in most conditions.

Tee shot: green is at the bottom, way off in the distance, and mostly obscured by side of mountain

Maybe someone can chime in with an aerial -- can't get clarity on Google and can't copy from Microsoft.

I might play along the top of the ridge, then hit a drop shot down.  The only problems I can see with this are: a) getting knifed by the players coming up the 4th, and b) having to hit a drop shot to a fallaway green.  Other than that, it's brilliant!

Mark

Marty Bonnar

Re: Insane Hole from Pre-BUDA: Anstruther GC's "Rockies"
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 07:50:25 AM »
Mark,
aerial link:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=56.215254~-2.712743&style=h&lvl=18&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

(If you haven't already, close the left hand 'assistance' window for full view)

...and Don't go killing any of my Coastal Path customers!!!

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 07:57:53 AM »
...and REALLY GOOD pdf from Club website...

http://www.anstruthergolf.co.uk/anstruthergolfclub.pdf

#1, BABY!!!

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 09:09:22 AM »
That article does a very good job of describing the challenge, Martin.  The observation the hole has no bunkers -- as we say in the States, "Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?"

Yes, #1.  That it did not make it into " Britain's 100 Extraordinary Golf Holes" has damaged the credibility of that book, irrevocably.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 09:22:34 AM »
Lloyd, Derek and I each hit fairly solid 3-woods when we played it last Sunday.  Derek went straight for the hole (over the edge of the cliff) but his ball was never to be found.  I hit it straight for the right side of the green and ended up on the rocks.  Lloyd hit a pretty good cut shot, but not enough cut and found his just short of the rocks.  I think thast hitting and holding the green requires a Tiger Woods high and soft fade with a 3-iron or an ugly and lucky sliced 3-wood from us mortals.

What a helluva hole, and as the website points out, you get to play it twice in every round!

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 10:01:15 AM »
It was a similar story in our fivesome.

That's quite a three hole stretch starting with Rockies, BTW....

Phil McDade

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 10:06:06 AM »
A terrific, linksy, coastal-hugging, dog-legging, 200+ par 3! Did it make Mucci's list?

Rich Goodale

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 10:13:29 AM »
Doubt it, Phil, but it did make my list on my thread as the best hole #5 par-3 in the world.

Andy Levett

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 05:32:55 PM »
...and REALLY GOOD pdf from Club website...

http://www.anstruthergolf.co.uk/anstruthergolfclub.pdf

#1, BABY!!!

FBD.
It is an awesome hole. As it is 'found' it is probably beyond criticism, but if it was 'designed' how could it be improved? Perhaps a larger green and more accomodating lay up area, but with bunkering/green contouring to encourage the devil or glory punt for the green. Anything to stop Mark B punting along the top of the cliff and pitching down, which is just wrong. :o

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 07:56:12 AM »
What about just - somehow - maintaining the mountainside, not necessarily so balls feed down, although that slope has to be well beyond the angle of repose, but so that balls may be found?

That's my only beef: balls too easily are lost, even on shots not poorly hit.

Maybe they could maintain the bowl short and right of the green. Hit it there and balls kick into the waterside bunkers. I don't think that would destroy the character of the hole.

It would be great to name a tree after me up there on the cliff - a tree, on a links!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back