News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Siebert

Re: Great holes with a blind tee shot to an elevated fairway
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008, 10:44:03 PM »
TEPaul already nominated the one I would, the 12th at Old Head.  That's probably the most intimidating tee shot I've ever faced.  About all you see from the tee is the sheer cliff face, all you hear is the ocean roaring from below and the wind howling at a most uncomfortable angle.  To top it off, not only is the fairway blind but its at an angle as well.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Dan Boerger

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2008, 08:22:54 AM »
A third vote for #12 at Old Head, possibly the most memorable hole on the course. The approach is to a narrowing fairway, so bite off as much as you are comfortable with. The 4th at Fieldstone in Delaware is also a good example.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2008, 08:34:16 AM »
18 at the course whose name shall not be spoken is arguably the best of the genre.

The original 6th hole at Cobbs Creek was a Hulkian version that hopefully may live again someday; it rose 80 feet in the first 150 yards.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2008, 08:53:16 AM »
18 at the course whose name shall not be spoken is arguably the best of the genre.

The original 6th hole at Cobbs Creek was a Hulkian version that hopefully may live again someday; it rose 80 feet in the first 150 yards.

The 18th at Cobb's is downhill Mike.   ;)

Here is a 1934 description of the original 6th at Cobbs (now the 16th):

« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 09:10:20 AM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2008, 09:04:23 AM »
JOe

The 6th or 16th?

I'm on my blackberry and can't see what you posted...is it the Dey article?

Joe Bausch

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2008, 09:10:44 AM »
JOe

The 6th or 16th?

I'm on my blackberry and can't see what you posted...is it the Dey article?

My bad.  I've corrected it above.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

rjsimper

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2008, 09:32:05 AM »
16 at Tedesco CC in Marblehead, MA.

See the "My Home Course" piece by Brad Tufts for a brief description
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/tedesco.html

Just played this hole Friday and despite butchering it, was reminded of what an excellent hole it is.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2008, 08:54:15 PM »
16th at Black Diamond Ranch - Quarry.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2008, 09:18:30 PM »
#9 at Oakmont

Michael Powers

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2008, 09:24:47 PM »
I would argue that uphill, blind tee shots are a design weakness.  It challenges the player's alignment, imagination, and nerve.  I'll take the 8th at Essex County Club any day.  It is the only blind, uphill tee shot hole I have ever played with O.B. pinching in slightly on the left, pot bunkers and fescue on the right, and a  split-level fairway.
HP

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2008, 09:41:19 PM »
How about 18 at Conewango Valley Club?  Just a flagpole near the clubhouse as a reference.  Anyone else played it?

WW

Dennis_Harwood

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2008, 01:17:34 AM »
I would argue that uphill, blind tee shots are a design weakness.  It challenges the player's alignment, imagination, and nerve.  I'll take the 8th at Essex County Club any day.  It is the only blind, uphill tee shot hole I have ever played with O.B. pinching in slightly on the left, pot bunkers and fescue on the right, and a  split-level fairway.

Why is such a hole a design weakness?  A lot of great holes mentioned.  Could leaving a little something unseen be appealing?  Like a lady in a skimpy garmet vs a nude leaving nothing to the imagination?

rjsimper

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2008, 08:58:55 AM »
I would argue that uphill, blind tee shots are a design weakness.  It challenges the player's alignment, imagination, and nerve. 

Are any of these challenges a bad challenge?  Like anything else, in moderation I believe they are excellent for just the reasons you've stated above.

Michael Powers

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2008, 09:09:31 PM »

Why is such a hole a design weakness?  A lot of great holes mentioned.  Could leaving a little something unseen be appealing?  Like a lady in a skimpy garmet vs a nude leaving nothing to the imagination?

The word missing in my previous post is NOT, of course.  I would argue that blind tee shots are NOT a weakness for the reasons mentioned. 
HP

bill_k

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2008, 09:16:21 PM »
How about #13 at Shoreacres

Scott Szabo

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2008, 09:27:09 PM »
How about #2 at Sand Hills?
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

rjsimper

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2008, 12:51:38 PM »

The word missing in my previous post is NOT, of course.  I would argue that blind tee shots are NOT a weakness for the reasons mentioned. 

Whew  - I thought I was losing my mind.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2008, 05:18:50 PM »
#3 Acquasanta

Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back