News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Nuzzo

There is a fun interview on Golfweek.com with Pete at the NCAA championship.

Who knew he played that much still... although I could have guessed about the Starbucks

One new tidbit is that he is adding 9 more holes at Casa de Campo
Anyone know more about that?

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jim_Coleman

Re: Pete Dye bests his age and shoots 79 and doesn't go to Starbucks!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 05:41:21 PM »
   He's building another nine above Altos de Chavon (where the back nine of Dye Fore is).  I suspect they'll split Dye Fore in two, with the upper 18 being one course and the lower 18 the other course.  The nine has already been built on the lower side and is being played as the "New Nine" of La Romana Country Club.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 06:04:07 PM »
I didn't figure Pete as a Starbucks guy either.  I had dinner with him and Alice in 1995 and he spent the whole time talking about how he was now eligible for Senior Discounts and that he never flew first class.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Brad Klein

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 07:16:34 PM »
Starbucks? When I first met Pete in 1990 or 1991 in Indianapolis, he took me out to lunch -- at Subway. Then in 2004, after we had this big day here in Connecticut opening up Wintonbury Hills, Tim Liddy, myself, my wife and Pete all went out to dinner before they caught their charter plane back home. Subway again!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 03:32:59 AM by Brad Klein »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 12:59:08 AM »
I didn't figure Pete as a Starbucks guy either.  I had dinner with him and Alice in 1995 and he spent the whole time talking about how he was now eligible for Senior Discounts and that he never flew first class.

My kind of guy
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 11:11:49 AM »
Not surprising Pete is still breaking 80.  There's a story in my upcoming Pete Dye Book (www.petedyebook.com) told to me by the long-time Director of Golf at Casa de Campo, who bore witness that afternoon.  On Pete's 80th birthday in December of 2005, he celebrated by playing Teeth of the Dog from the tips--7,400 yards.  The only concession he made to his newly-minted octogenarian status was to tee the ball up on 4-5 of the par-4 fairways, so he could use driver, and potentially reach in regulation. Other than that, the round was totally legit.  He broke 80.

Jed Peters

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 11:49:17 AM »
   He's building another nine above Altos de Chavon (where the back nine of Dye Fore is).  I suspect they'll split Dye Fore in two, with the upper 18 being one course and the lower 18 the other course.  The nine has already been built on the lower side and is being played as the "New Nine" of La Romana Country Club.

Only, it's BELOW Altos de Chavon!

This is my understanding too--they're building an upper and a lower course, to make 4 total "public" tracks--although La Romana is available via reciprocal privileges.

When I was there, I spent one round playing Dye Fore, the rest playing Teeth of the Dog. One of the top courses I've ever played--certainly the best collection of ocean holes I've ever had the pleasure of playing. Only weak spot is the second shot into the Par 4 6th hole--it's a little mundane.

Other than that, every ocean hole was as good as could be hoped for/dreamed of!

Ron Farris

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 12:01:28 PM »
Wow,
I remember Pete saying "I am half a hundred plus 3" to express his age.
That makes me old too.  I was fortunate to play golf with Pete, Alice, and Tom Doak years ago at Shipyard on Hilton Head Island.  Alice beat us all!

Way to go Pedro!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back