News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil_the_Author

What is RIGHT with GCA.com...
« on: June 18, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
As of late there have been a number of comments on various threads that have said the same thing. Here is one of them:

"This thread shows everything that is wrong with this site. All this fighting over golf courses and stories?"

Is GCA.com that bad a place? I think it is time that everyone gets reminded of some of the good aspects of this site. The only thing I ask is that only positive comments be made...

There is a monumental group of world-class experts on golf course architecture in general and individual courses and architects in specific on the site who willingly and freely share their information with one and all. If one has a question all one needs do is ask and an answer will find it's way to you...

Phil McDade

Re: What is RIGHT with GCA.com...
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 03:19:39 PM »
What is right, for starters....

Sean Arble's continuing series of obscure UK courses I've never heard of, with adept photography and often witty commentary that's not tedious and has a point of view.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 03:32:20 PM »
I'd say there is slightly less of the stuff I love about this forum than there was a year or two ago. But still some great, great stuff.

I'm also certain that there's a larger amount of acrimony and off-topic noise pollution than I've ever seen during my brief participation here. It just means instead of ignoring three-quarters of the stuff posted in order to find the good stuff I now have to ignore ninety percent. Or something like that.

But still I deplore even the small portion of hurtful and vindictive nonsense that I pick up on from topic titles, even though I don't read the actual threads. It would be a real problem if not for our ability to only click on threads that seem promising for GCA content.

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 03:34:30 PM »
What is right, for starters....

Sean Arble's continuing series of obscure UK courses I've never heard of, with adept photography and often witty commentary that's not tedious and has a point of view.

I second that statement.

In fact the very best part of this site is the pictures.  (I admit it; I prefer looking at the pictures over reading the articles.)

This site is very good when someone asks for golf course recommendations at a certain location or for a trip.  The variety of responses is fantastic.

This site is also very good at disagreements over tournament course set-ups.  These are the disagreements that are enjoyable.  These disagreements usually center on what is good or bad about a course set-up or design, and what one's own preferences are per set-up and design.  But these disagreements usually center on the course itself and those responsible for the course.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 03:43:48 PM »
For me, the current highlights of the discussion group include:

#1 Continual input from practicing architects, including Doak, Moran, Nuzzo, Andrew and Brauer

Also:
Tim Bert's tour of Pacific Dunes

Dave Elvin's rerouting of Merion

Sean Arble's photos of Ashburnham, Hillside, etc.

Peter Wagner's links to articles (e.g. bunker construction, green expansion) and outside-the-box suggestions for the website, private club business model's, etc.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 03:53:46 PM »
I wrote that comment and in no way did I mean that the site of the whole is wrong or bad, just those types of posts.

I love this site for its access to higher minds of the golf world, research on new places to see and courses to play, and the commentary on the golf world.

It is a shame when you see threads that deviate from this.

Pat
H.P.S.

George Pazin

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 03:57:55 PM »
There's almost too much to mention, so I'll simply say the posters are phenomenal in their passion for the game, dedication to its wonderful playing venues and unparalleled in their knowledge of just about everything!

#1 Continual input from practicing architects, including Doak, Moran, Nuzzo, Andrew and Brauer

I'll second this and agree that it is #1.

For you guys who love Sean's work and are relatively new to the site, Paul Turner did the same thing for a good while in maybe 2001-2002 or so. That's pretty far back, but with some clever searching, you might be able to find it in the archives.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Mayhugh

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 04:00:50 PM »
What's right with GCA.com?  Is there a transcript of Bob Huntley's remarks from the King's Putter dinner last month?  I'm nowhere near as eloquent, but here's my attempt.

We all share this unusual (at least to others) interest in golf course architecture.  GCA provides us with a forum to exchange ideas, theories, opinions, history, photos, & hidden gems on where to play that help us expand our knowledge of golf course architecture and enjoyment of this wonderful game.  We're especially fortunate to have a number of golf architects that participate as well.  For one example, Tom Doak's running commentary that accompanies Tim's wonderful photo tribute of Pacific Dunes is something you just cannot put a price on.

For the most part, we're really like a fraternal organization that is united by far more than these disagreements or perceived slights that can divide some of us.  GCA would be wonderful just from online participation, but for me the greatest experience has been meeting & playing with such a variety of people.  I cannot imagine how I could have experienced & learned so much without GCA.

I'm sure there are ways to improve the site, but that's true with anywhere you go or anything you do.  It's not always easy to do, but I've found I'm a lot happier when I focus on what I like rather than what I don't.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 04:07:00 PM »
I love that I am able to give away my honest unbiased opinions which would be impossible in a magazine format.  I figure it is just one small way to give back to this game I love.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 04:26:18 PM »
John - lucky for us you're so good at paving roads...

Phil - what is right with gca.com? Oh, let me count the ways:

This royal throne of kings, this sceptred isle,
This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
This other Eden, demi-paradise,
This fortress built by Nature for herself
Against infection and the hand of war,
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
Which serves it in the office of a wall
Or as a moat defensive to a house,
Against the envy of less happier lands,—
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England!!

Peter

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 04:30:02 PM »
There is sooo much that is RIGHT with GCA!!!

1)   I agree whole-heartedly with John Mayhugh's comments, especially re Tim Bert's tribute to Pacific Dunes and the postings of Tom Doak on that thread.

2)   The people I have met and with whom I can share what I love about this game and golf architecture.

3)   KP and other GCA events. I have been to a few, a KP and the outings organized in Tacoma for Chambers Bay and the Home Course and it is amazing how much fun and how interesting it is to get together and talk golf with you guys from all over the world.

4)   Just plain more information I ever thought I could gather on golf architecture. This place is an amazing resource.

My only regret is that I get far more from the site than I could contribute but will work on improving my record.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 05:27:16 PM »

Learning, sharing & new found friends.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 08:49:07 PM »
I would like to "third" the kudos for Sean Arble's quickie tours of lesser-known UK courses that I don't have time to play.   >:(  One of these years I'm going to take a sabbatical to play a bunch of them.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 09:31:09 PM »
Sean, other than being a Red Wings fan, has really benefited all with his writing..

I've met some incredible people, who have given me, a kid from Buffalo, a chance to see the top echelon of the game.  Not just courses, but people. 

From playing at Rolling Green with Mike Malone and Kelly Blake Moran, to a special dinner at a local club where I just could NOT believe I was present, to spending a few hours with a caddy that made my day at one of the USA's top courses an unforgettable experience...  Meeting many of you on this website electronically.

Reading the posts of two very insightful guys like Tom Paul and Pat Mucci - guys that knock each other, but guys I can and do learn from.

The great local guys here in Philly. 

The Cobbs Creek work.

For Ran's course reviews that got me to travel back to Oregon to play Pacific Dunes and Nova Scotia to play Highlands Links.

The guys that like to press buttons like Jaka - for keeping us humble.

But most of all, the architects, great and small, who give us the gift of the ability to play the world's greatest game.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 09:33:42 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Peter Wagner

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 09:42:45 PM »
Pretty much everything is right about GCA.com.  I've become so addicted that I check it 3 or 4 times a day from my iPhone.  You should see how long it takes to make a posting on that little keyboard! 

So far I have probably used 40 ideas from this site for my home course.  If I have to wade through a few disagreements along the way then so be it.  No problemo!

This is a really good site that will sometimes ebb and flow with emotion but almost always be grounded in solid reasoning.

- Peter

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 10:54:57 AM »
Bump.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 11:12:42 AM »
The knowledge, the personalities, the perspectives, the pictures, Ran's writeups, the jokes, the arguments, the accolades, and especially the architects.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Adam Clayman

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 11:15:32 AM »
Way more than what's wong!
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 01:37:41 PM »
Another example of what is Right with GCA are the responses to Tim Gavrich's MY WEEK IN FIFE.

It has been quite interesting to hear the explanations about the "members/medal" tees and the "guest" tees at UK courses.  There were helpful explanations of why these exist, who controls access to these tees and who to contact.  Then there were also reminders of other ways to deal with these situations, like possibly hitting clubs other than driver off the tees to as to bring more of the course into play.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

George Pazin

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 01:43:25 PM »
I love the fact that I have friends in Australia that I haven't even met, yet I feel like I know.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Dan Kelly

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 01:51:44 PM »
I love the fact that I have friends in Australia that I haven't even met, yet I feel like I know.

I feel the same way about Pittsburgh. (Emoticon unnecessary.)

Maybe Philadelphia, too. (Emoticon omitted.)
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

PThomas

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 11:12:25 PM »

(Emoticon unnecessary.)

(Emoticon omitted.)

Dan, i think you are getting quite lawyer-like in the way you are dodging the use of emoticons ;) :D...
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 11:29:25 PM »
Dan, i think you are getting quite lawyer-like in the way you are dodging the use of emoticons ;) :D...

Paul -

Yes indeed, though Dan might answer, "when in Rome do as the Romans." He might, but I don't think it likely.

Peter

Dan Kelly

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 11:34:43 PM »

(Emoticon unnecessary.)

(Emoticon omitted.)

Paternal grandfather was a lawyer.

Father was a lawyer.

Older brother is a lawyer.

Perhaps I did not emerge entirely unscathed.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2008, 11:37:01 PM »
Paul - see what I mean?

Peter

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back