News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

Victoria Golf Club, Canada
« on: June 17, 2008, 07:47:11 PM »
In my research I've come across Victoria Golf Club in Oak Bay, British Columbia. The original 9 holes date to 1893. It is now 18 holes with some grand views of the Pacific. Harvey Coombe, a good amateur player from the area, designed the first nine and A. Vernon Macan the second 9.

Gary Panks did some later work as did William and John Robinson.

Anybody have any thoughts on the place?

Anthony

Sean Leary

Re: Victoria Golf Club, Canada
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 08:10:12 PM »
GCA'er Jordon Caron is an assistant pro there. I am sure he will weigh in, along with a few more of the BC guys.

I have been by it but haven't played it.  The holes on the ocean make for an unbelievable setting.  Feedback I have gotten is that it is a super fun, short, quirky layout.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 09:38:55 PM »
Tony,

I visited Victoria G.C. a couple weeks ago, and wrote a brief blurb about the course at my blog: www.mingaygolf.blogspot.com
jeffmingay.com

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 09:39:32 AM »
Jeff:

I'll check out your blog. The holes by the water look fantastic.

Jordan Caron contacted me.

Anthony

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 02:46:58 PM »
I played it, about 15 years ago... what I recall is that it was a super fun, short, quirky layout - and it had very nice ocean views.

Yes, you're welcome, for that major contribution.

;)

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 03:43:24 PM »
Tony,

Firstly, I read your book on 9 hole courses and enjoyed it a lot!

Re Victoria Golf Club, my course in Vancouver has a reciprocal arrangement with Victoria so I try to play there when I have some time on the island. Jeff Mingay's comments are bang on and his comments about the trees are particularly interesting. It has been a few years since I played there but I also believe it could be opened up a lot by strategic removal of the trees. Nevertheless the holes out on the point are treeless.

As Sean said, the course is very funky and a lot of fun. A must visit on Vancouver Island.

A few years ago I found a copy of the club history in a used book store in Victoria and if you are interested, I could send it down to you for a while. Just email me. Jordan Caron recently started a thread about the changes to the bunkers that are ongoing under the direction of Graham Cooke and Wayne Carlton. Drainage has been an issue over there for some time although I also understand there were significant improvements a few years ago in that regard.

In any event, Victoria is well worth a visit.

Regards,

Bob Jenkins

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 05:37:51 PM »
This is from the club's website, an admission that three block a stunning vista, but nothing will be done to change it. Very odd.

No. 14
San Juan
Before the trees matured, the elevated tee of this difficult par-three offered unsurpassed views of San Juan Island – the largest in the group of a dozen US islands just to the east of Victoria.

How about changing "matured" to "were allowed to become overgrown?"

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back