News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ron Farris

Is Tiger's injury good for Golf Course Architecture?
« on: June 17, 2008, 10:44:41 AM »
No doubt Tiger's knee injury is quite serious.

Does this mean that he will be allowed to spend more time learning the nuiances of golf course design and field presence?  With less playing by Tiger will this enhance his design skills?  Less playing by Tiger is bad for television, is it good for Tiger and golf design and construction?

Adam Clayman

Re: Is Tiger's injury good for Golf Course Architecture?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 11:11:33 AM »
Ron, So far, with the little info that's been out on the subject, it's hard to believe TIger will break any new ground (pardon) on the design front.

Unless of course your phone rings tomorrow and he's on the other end?

Your project, once funded, will clearly be in the fore front of the growth of the game in that area. 
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Foley

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 11:14:40 AM »
I was listening to the XM feed yesterday and one of the reporters commented that Tiger was supposed to be inspecting property for a new course in Mexico yesterday.

I hope he takes some time and gets his hands dirty.
Integrity in the moment of choice

George Pazin

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 11:15:13 AM »
Another Tiger related question:

He said in Sunday's press conference that he had been planning to visit a golf course project in Mexico on Monday - anyone know which project he's referencing? Has it been discussed on here?

EDIT: John scooped me by 30 seconds! I doubt he'll get too dirty, he'll likely be sitting in a cart or Jeep.
-----

Worst thing about the knee injury is that it resulted in an over hyped Open. Call me biased, I'd rather see more WF, Shinneys and Oakmonts than Torreys.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Goodman

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 11:20:23 AM »
George, get used to every major being overhyped, so long as Tiger is playing in it.  The knee gave them an angle, but Tiger chasing Jack just sells, plain and simple.   It's a pretty dang interesting thing to watch, no matter where they play it - how often do you get a chance to see a guy making his case to being the best ever at something?

I confess that watching the Open made me want to go play Torrey.  I have issues with the way some of the holes looked on aesthetic grounds but overall the course looked rather inspiring to me, and fun to play too.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 11:27:33 AM »
As someone who is familiar with knee injuries, I hardly think this is career threatening.

Golf is hard on the joints.  You will experience quite a lot of pain if things are even a little out of whack.  I suspected this might be too soon for him to come back even before the tournament started and it turns out I was right.   

Give him two months away from the game to let things heal up properly and he'll be right back in the saddle again.

This knee thing has become such a drama fest.  Don't drink the kool aid, folks....
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Michael Dugger

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 11:29:12 AM »
Oh, and I got a $1000 that says Eldrick Woods ass NEVER sees the seat of a dozer.....
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 11:56:28 AM »
Oh, and I got a $1000 that says Eldrick Woods ass NEVER sees the seat of a dozer.....

Even for a poser marketing pic?  I might be willing to take that action.   ;D

I heard in a different thread that he's going back under the knife to repair the knew again.  I can only spculate he screwed stuff up down there again and will miss the Open, perhaps even the PGA.

Ron Farris

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 01:03:09 PM »
I might take some action on Tiger not being on a dozer, as long as it is not the old type where you need your feet and hands to make the beast turn. :)

Tiger is creative as a player.  It will be interesting to see if he becomes creative as a designer.  I speculate his first few projects will look somewhat Fazio-ian in style and nature. 

Torn ACL, and more, may equal easy to walk designs!!!!!!!!!!
Or it could go the other way ---- manditory golf carts????????

Jay Kirkpatrick

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 01:16:58 PM »
I'd bet Tiger will have his choice on some great pieces of property.  Given his love for the classic courses and a great piece of property, I bet Woods will create some good stuff.  That being said, it all depends who ends up on the dozer.  I'd be willing to bet that he will have his pick of the best there too, though.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back