News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick Hodgdon

Re: Who Wins and What Do They Shoot?
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2008, 03:50:23 PM »
Rocco 71
Tiger 73.

Rocco's up one going into 18 and Woods has to go for it in two on a now VERY sore-bum knee and puts it in the water as he almost falls over. Chips to 15 feet from the drop area but lips out on the putt, ends up with Bogey. Rocco plays it in 3-shots and makes par for the biggest upset in sports in the last 10 years. He goes down as the only guy to ever beat Tiger after he was leading in a major and it was only as a result of the knee. Rocco's win defines his career and Tiger's loss is forever an asterisk.

Also if Rocco wins this thing does it effect the Ryder Cup team at all? Could he make a case for an alternate spot? Azinger and him are good friends and Zinger just joined Rocco's club in Naples.

So far so good!
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Peter Wagner

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2008, 05:11:53 PM »
Tiger 71
Rocco 73

Tom,
Looks like you were off by just one shot on Rocco.  Nice guess!
- Peter

Mike Benham

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 05:15:28 PM »
Tiger -- 74

Rocco -- 76

Phil wins !!!  No, not Mickelson ... Tiger 75, Rocco 76 ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Kalen Braley

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 05:27:26 PM »
TIger wins in a playoff on the 1st extra hole of sudden death!!  ;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2008, 05:30:25 PM »
TIger wins in a playoff on the 1st extra hole of sudden death!!  ;D

Kalen is a genius!!!!

;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2008, 05:33:42 PM »
Thanks Huck..thank you thank you.

So whats the over/under on number of months before Torreys greens fees are over $300 for out of towners?  Its 180'ish at the moment

10 months maybe?

JohnV

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2008, 05:40:39 PM »
What would be wrong with changing the format to match play when there's a two person playoff?

See Rule 33-6 - Decision of Ties
A halved match must not be decided by stroke play.  A tie in stroke play must not be decided by a match.

So, unless you can get the ROG Committee to change that rule, you can't do it.  Perhaps they could introduce a local rule to allow it so that Dave could get madder. ;)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2008, 05:49:54 PM »
JVB:

I assumed it would be contrary to the rules of golf... I thought Adam was asking more why shouldn't it be allowable as policy?  That is, why are the rules as they are?

And thus my answer....

Any other thoughts on the matter?  It is an interesting question.

And Kalen, I think you are sadly going to win with the under.  Oh well.

Mike Golden

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2008, 05:54:33 PM »
this was a great playoff and one that will go down in history but, I wonder, what would have happened if the sudden death had started on #1 instead of #7?  Rocco was at a clear disadvantage starting there.  I'm not complaining, this is too much of a historic day for that, but I just wonder how the starting hole was decided (I know it was decided in advance).

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2008, 05:56:16 PM »
this was a great playoff and one that will go down in history but, I wonder, what would have happened if the sudden death had started on #1 instead of #7?  Rocco was at a clear disadvantage starting there.  I'm not complaining, this is too much of a historic day for that, but I just wonder how the starting hole was decided (I know it was decided in advance).

The US Open was decided on a dog leg on a course without dog legs.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2008, 05:58:20 PM »
why does it seem like the journeyman who goes the full 18 with the multiple major winner always blows it on the 19th hole? 

Mike Donald.  Rocco.

Just to piss you off.

Phil McDade

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2008, 09:19:23 PM »
why does it seem like the journeyman who goes the full 18 with the multiple major winner always blows it on the 19th hole? 

Mike Donald.  Rocco.

Oh man, Rocco hit that drive and I said, with my kid next to me, "Mike Donald all over again." He said, who's Mike Donald? Which, of course, prompted a 5-minute explanation that went totally over his head.

Phil McDade

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2008, 09:21:11 PM »
Did anyone catch how they decided who went first in the playoff? I remember reading once that Donald was really hacked off at the time at PJ Boatright, who essentially made up a decision on the spot that gave Irwin the choice of going first or not, which Donald always thought led to his poor drive (I think Donald went first at Medinah on the 19th hole).

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2008, 09:32:02 PM »
Did anyone catch how they decided who went first in the playoff? I remember reading once that Donald was really hacked off at the time at PJ Boatright, who essentially made up a decision on the spot that gave Irwin the choice of going first or not, which Donald always thought led to his poor drive (I think Donald went first at Medinah on the 19th hole).

FWIW, Hicks said that Tiger had the honor after birdie. I don't know beyond that.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2008, 09:36:54 PM »

Somewhere along the lines things changed. In the early 90's all USGA events went straight to #1, like it should be. This is how it was at Medinah in 1990. In the 1996 US Amateur Woods and Scott played the 9th hole as their 37th. Some kind of decision had to have been made right in there. Personally, I have a big problem with it. If you go to #1, you are just saying go play the holes. If you pick, you are bringing player advantages into play.  I wonder what they would do if the playoff went 10 holes or something and they only had the first 9 picked out.

Steve Kline

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2008, 06:13:11 AM »
They were going to play a continuous loop of 7, 8, 18 because all holes were close to the 18th where the fans were. Also, it was a loop that contained a par 3, par 4, and a par 5.

Given that the USGA insists on an 18 hole playoff to end a a 72 hole tournament, it seems to me if they were still tied we should have had another 18 holes (then most people could have watched that after work). Anything else makes their logic for an 18 hole playoff in the first place plain stupid.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back