News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Torrey Pines' Course Rating (US open setup) - 79.9?
« on: June 16, 2008, 08:38:09 AM »
Did anybody else notice the 79.9 course rating for Torrey Pines/ US Open setup?  They gave the course rating and slope (153) at the beginning of the "US Open Challenge" show that aired just prior to Sunday's Open telecast.

79.9?  For a par 71?

Is the 8.9 difference the largest gap between par an course rating you've ever seen?

Cripes - my home course is a par 71 with a rating of 73.0.  Before yesterday, I thought that 2.0 difference was big!

Jim Nugent

Re: Torrey Pines' Course Rating (US open setup) - 79.9?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 09:13:15 AM »
Dan -- the pro's scored slightly better this year than last year at Oakmont.  Winner was two shots less...63rd place was nine shots less...median from the top 63 was about 5 strokes less.  I chose 63 because that's how many made the cut in 2007. 

This by itself suggests that whatever Torrey's rating, Oakmont's should be harder.  I know they did not play TP at full length each day (or any day?).  But wasn't that true at Oakmont as well?

The guy with the 8 index shot 114 at Torrey -- probably in conditions that were a few shots easier than U.S. Open setup.  To me that just about proves that even with a CR of 80, slope at Torrey should be 155.  I don't know about the adjustments though. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back