News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

to go with the ladies tee  utilized in the fourth round. 

In the spirit of Monday fund-raising scrambles throughout America, both Tiger and Rocco will have the option to purchase one ladies tee, one throw and two mulligans for the 18 holes play-off Monday.  Cost will be $25 per man - limited to one each.  Free tees in the goody-bag.

While previously lauded by the cognoscenti, I thought the 267 yards par four today was a joke.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bart Bradley

Re: USGA Grants Playoff Participants One Throw and Two Mulligans.....
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 09:30:51 PM »
to go with the ladies tee  utilized in the fourth round. 

In the spirit of Monday fund-raising scrambles throughout America, both Tiger and Rocco will have the option to purchase one ladies tee, one throw and two mulligans for the 18 holes play-off Monday.  Cost will be $25 per man - limited to one each.  Free tees in the goody-bag.

While previously lauded by the cognoscenti, I thought the 267 yards par four today was a joke.

Mike

Wow, Mike you must be kidding.  It allowed for some excitement and possible movement forward on the leaderboard.  Tiger didn't birdie it.  I thought it was a bold and positive decision by the USGA.  Obviously, this is just my opinion.  Remember "par" is just a number...they all had to play it from the same spot and the course certainly "defended" par overall.

Bart

John Moore II

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 09:31:33 PM »
I know you're trying to be cheeky, but I think that might add some real fun to the event, because I have a feeling this is going to be boring, though I do think Bobby Jones' 20-odd shot playoff win will hold up.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 09:34:18 PM »
What is the course setup for tomorrow - is it the same as today - if not, it could only be to Tiger's advantage.

Mitchell Schneringer

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 09:37:37 PM »
I feel a setup similar to today would be best, in terms of being fair to both players.

The USGA is getting grilled right now on the Post Game, as the short par 4 is being criticized.  Short 267 par 4 for 2008 vs. longest par 3 last year at 300 yards.... point made by F. Nobilo.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 09:39:23 PM »
J.Kenneth,

Bobby Jones record playoff win was over 36 holes...

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 09:40:05 PM »
I did think the 14th hole worked well from that distance and combination of pin location.

However, no doubt, there seems to be some potential controversy in how they set up TP tommorow.

John Moore II

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 09:42:35 PM »
J.Kenneth,

Bobby Jones record playoff win was over 36 holes...

Yes, I was aware that is was over 36 holes, which is even more reason why I said it would hold up. Either way, I was being funny with my comment. I personally think tomorrow should be a 36 hole one day playoff. ::)

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 09:46:42 PM »
Would you have been more amenable to the idea if they'd called it a 267-yard par three, with a par of 70 for the course?

WW

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 10:41:06 PM »
Never really thought about it, but the USGA has the potential to set up the course to favor one or the other tomorrow, as they might in any playoff. Obviously, with a 320 to about 280 driving distance advantage, using the full 7600 yards would probably favor Tiger.  Not sure what would favor Rocco at this point, but certainly a shorter course would probably even the chances.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mike Hendren

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 11:53:14 PM »
The USGA is manipulating yardage through use of the ladies tee.   Jeff hits the nail on the head.  Their selection of the tee tomorrow will clearly favor one of the two participants. 

Assuming Tiger had 100 yards in, he must have hit 8-iron off the tee today.  What kind of architecture/set-up makes that a legitimate option for the greatest player of all time?

It's Mickey Mouse.

John Moore II

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 11:57:17 PM »
Michael--I think that the fact that he was spraying the ball all over the City of San Diego, into the weeds and chopping enough grass to feed a herd of cattle, factored into his decision of how to play. With everything working, he hits 2 iron on the green every time. But today, with the ball flying everywhere but where it needed to be he simply laid the ball up to a good yardage to give himself the next best chance at birdie. Seems like excellence in architecture and set-up to me, rather than Mickey Mouse.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 12:01:28 AM »
In the future I see the USGA creating new tee boxes at awkward angles and distances. 

How many 2's were there today?  Jesper only I believe. 

It was a gimmick.

Mike Benham

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 12:38:27 AM »
At which hole will there be the Compadres Margarita and Fajitas Tent?

"... and I liked the guy ..."

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 02:04:14 AM »
Never really thought about it, but the USGA has the potential to set up the course to favor one or the other tomorrow, as they might in any playoff. Obviously, with a 320 to about 280 driving distance advantage, using the full 7600 yards would probably favor Tiger.  Not sure what would favor Rocco at this point, but certainly a shorter course would probably even the chances.

I almost think it is the other way around. Tiger, if he was smart, would hit 3 woods and irons off a bunch of tees as he did a year or two ago during a British Open.

He is hitting the tee ball everywhere and if he gears down, it will be to his advantage, but if he stays with driver and gears up, it will eventually catch up to him.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

jeffwarne

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 08:57:32 AM »
One thing's for sure, Rees didn't build that ladies tee-it was at ground level!!!!
I actually thought Rocco's 3 wood might not clear the weeds in front ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

tlavin

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 09:08:36 AM »
I think the tee was borderline goofy, but it does signal that the new USGA man in charge is more playful and more willing to soften the edges, even on Sunday of the Open.  That's a good thing.

Phil McDade

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 09:15:10 AM »
I thought the 267-yard set-up led to some pretty cool strategy, e.g.:

-- Mediate, a short hitter, goes for it, lands in the bunker, executes a terrific bunker shot, and makes birdie to move into the lead.

-- Westwood, medium-length, hits 3-wood (maybe 5-wood) right through the tight throat of an opening, makes a bid for eagle, and comes away with a birdie that puts him back into contention.

-- Woods, very long, opts for iron/wedge (after explaining post-round that 267 just didn't fit either his 3-wood or 5-wood), doesn't execute the wedge all that well, and has to settle for par.

A don't think a radical set-up choice like that can be judged without taking into consideration where the hole sits in the round, and the impact it had on player choices. It provided pretty high drama and revealed some real insights into how the players wanted to take it on. That to me makes it a good choice for a final round set-up in the Open.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 11:25:50 AM »
The USGA is manipulating yardage through use of the ladies tee.   Jeff hits the nail on the head.  Their selection of the tee tomorrow will clearly favor one of the two participants. 

Assuming Tiger had 100 yards in, he must have hit 8-iron off the tee today.  What kind of architecture/set-up makes that a legitimate option for the greatest player of all time?

It's Mickey Mouse.

Michael:
Cannot agree with you. This set up required a lot of thinking and made the players think real hard about this hole.  Did you hear Tiger's interview When he spoke of how he approached this hole.  Very Interesting.
Best
Dave

Matthew Rose

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 11:31:09 AM »

Tiger will use them all on the first hole and still make six.

Then he'll make two 70 foot birdie putts on the back nine after flubbing two pitching wedges from the center of the fairway.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back