News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Excitement: Torrey v Old Augusta
« on: June 15, 2008, 03:27:57 AM »
The Augusta of Old gave us the most exciting tournaments year after year until they added too much length and too many trees. Maybe they can learn something from Torrey's 3rd round.

Yesterday, I was out of my chair, pacing back and forth like the "Old Augusta Days".

Bravo to the USGA who I have often criticized for the most boring setups to this years great setup.

And as an added bonus, giving us the Thursday pairing of 123 in the world and the opportunity to watch Tiger and Phil go head to head.

Anyone notice that immediately following Tiger's eagle on 13, the incredible Augusta like roar, that Rocco Mediate's mini meltdown began. I think it was Johnny Miller who pointed out that he was making a mental mistake hitting a 3 wood with no logical landing area?

How about 18 where I'm begging Tiger to layup and not ruin his round and what does the guy do, makes eagle!!!!

Let's hope Tiger can ice that surgically repaired knee and get thru tomorrow's round.

Another great Miller comment was something to the effect that Tiger was "a living highlight reel"

And how about NBC showing us repeats of great shots over and over again and Miller great comment before Tiger hits his putt on 13 that nobody has played enough break on this putt, he then shows us with the illustrator where Tiger is aiming and then he not only hitting there, but the ball goes in like, "wow, holy batshit, did you see that"?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 03:42:46 AM by cary lichtenstein »
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Excitement: Torrey v Old Augusta
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 05:30:40 AM »
Cary,

Doesn't Rees Jones deserve the credit for designing the course to provide for the kind of scoring we witnessed yesterday ?

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 06:51:17 AM »
Cary,

Doesn't Rees Jones deserve the credit for designing the course to provide for the kind of scoring we witnessed yesterday ?

Pat:

I don't knw the changes Rees made nor what the USGA instrusted him to do, but if he is responsible, someone in the know ought to chime in here with the facts, so we can give credit where credit is due.

Cary
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Sam Morrow

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 07:26:03 AM »
Cary,

I think Rees Jones and Mike Davis each deserve credit for what we are seeing.

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 07:47:04 AM »
If you want to compare Torrey to old Augusta,
move the tees up 50 yards on both par 5's on the back-and let them debate whether or not to go for 18 with an 8 iron or not :(

One round with a stong in the face wind on 13 and 15 at Augusta and we say Torrey is more exciting than Augusta.....
Yet if Tiger eagles 15 at Augusta this year after the quick hit between gusts and we'd be singing the praises of Augusta and looking at a Grand Slam for Tiger

By the way, this has been a great Open and my opinion a great set-up and good course.
Nice to see some drivers and woods off tees.
If ypou can't at least respect this course as a good test for the modern player (and interesting to watch) you're probably biased
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 08:32:51 AM »
Who is Mike Davis?

rboyce

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 08:51:10 AM »
Maybe this course doesn't have the style that many here would like to see. Nevertheless, the setup has provided a compelling tournament. When a course gives up eagles, doubles, and even quads, there has to be something right about it.

Point is, this Open has been more about skill than some of the capricous events we have seen in the last few years.

I also liked watching 1, 2, and 3 in the early rounds. However, I do question if all the extra publicity is a little unfair to them as players. Having to potentially play four straight rounds under those conditions is a lot.

TEPaul

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 09:22:50 AM »
"Doesn't Rees Jones deserve the credit for designing the course to provide for the kind of scoring we witnessed yesterday ?"

Pat:

I think this kind of "excitement generation" with setup (and tee movement) goes right to the USGA's newish "Competitions Director" Mike Davis. This is a philosophy he's talked about for a long time. Mike's just a great guy and one of the nicest fellows any of us have ever run across. I think a whole lot of the credit for conceiving of this kind of excitement and set-up at Torrey needs to go to Mike. I couldn't wait anymore, I just fired off and email to him with congratulations. We all should---this kind of "excitement generation" doesn't happen by accident, that's for sure.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 09:41:40 AM by TEPaul »

JohnV

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 10:13:10 AM »
Who is Mike Davis?

Mike Davis is the Senior Director of Rules and Competitions.  He is in charge of the setup for the US Open.  If you don't know this, you obviously haven't been paying much attention to the  Golf Channel or other telecasts.

He replaced Tom Meeks when he retired.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 11:36:33 AM »
Who is Mike Davis?

Mike Davis is the Senior Director of Rules and Competitions.  He is in charge of the setup for the US Open.  If you don't know this, you obviously haven't been paying much attention to the  Golf Channel or other telecasts.

He replaced Tom Meeks when he retired.

Thanks

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back