News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Nugent

Re: NGLA awarded 2013 Walker Cup
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2008, 11:34:52 AM »
Does anyone know if Sand Hills or Ballyneal would be interested in hosting the Walker Cup -- and also if it is feasible to play the event at either course. 

Phil McDade

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2008, 01:35:41 PM »
Phil McDade,

Do you think 8 yards in additional driving distance makes any difference in the play of NGLA ?

Are you familiar with the defenses against long drives at NGLA, such as on holes # 3, # 5, # 8, # 9, # 11, # 12, # 14, # 17 and # 18.

Patrick:

You asked a question about Tiger, and I provided an answer.

I have not played NGLA. Other posters on this thread who have -- notably RMD -- suggest that it's not lengthy enough to handle the considerable length displayed by current Walker Cup players, and likely WC players in five years. I was struck by how lengthy the WC players were at Chicago GC during a previous WC, a club with some similarities to NGLA (from what I've read and seen).

As I mentioned, I think it's wonderful for the greater appreciation of golf architecture and one of the game's most important and novel design concepts to host such an important tournament. I do hope the WC players of 2013 don't overwhelm the course with their length, as some posters have suggested will happen.

wsmorrison

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2008, 02:17:35 PM »
Pat,

Your response was insulting and dimwitted.  Such a combination merits no further consideration on my part. 
WSM

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2008, 05:22:58 PM »
Merion will be a fine venue for the WC and as Wayne states they will join a very select band of venues to have held the amateur, open and WC. On this side of the pond there are only 5 such venues.

How many of the private clubs in the US would actually hand over their facilities to the USGA for a month or so to hold an Open? Instead you end up holding your Open at a venue where a cart path could decide the championship......that's where you should be moaning not whether one of the games great venues - remember a certain Mr Jones - should hold the WC.
Cave Nil Vino

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2008, 06:49:22 PM »
Pat,

Your response was insulting and dimwitted.  Such a combination merits no further consideration on my part. 
WSM

I only responded in kind to your reply, # 27.

Surely you can't believe that your reply, # 27, wasn't insulting and dimwitted.

Please, cut down on the Kool Aid, it's affecting your judgement. ;D
[/color]

Frank Pasquale

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2008, 08:05:56 PM »
All I know is this...

The only time I played Shinnecock was 8/4/99, and the next day, it was announced that it would host the 2004 US Open.

This past Tuesday, I got to play NGLA for the first time, and the next day it was awarded the Walker Cup.

If anyone belongs to a great club that is looking to host something big, I'd be happy to be your guest for a friendly round    ;D 

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2008, 08:23:26 PM »

NGLA should have gotten the Walker Cup instead of Merion.

Merion has had plenty of TV exposure, especially with the U.S. Amateur and now the U.S. Open.  Awarding the Walker Cup to Merion was a mistake IMHO, NGLA should have gotten it in 2009, but, done is done.

Well at least they were designed by the same guy, so all is not lost  ;D (sorry, couldn't resist)

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2008, 12:37:18 AM »
I get my amateur status back in 2009 and this is my main goal in life outside my family.

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

Jim Nugent

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2008, 02:02:44 AM »
Jeff, glad to see you back posting. 

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2008, 06:08:59 AM »
Some of these guys are well longer than Tiger, they hit 8 and 9 irons into the 1st at RCD last year!

Jim Nugent

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2008, 09:46:46 AM »

NGLA should have gotten the Walker Cup instead of Merion.

Merion has had plenty of TV exposure, especially with the U.S. Amateur and now the U.S. Open.  Awarding the Walker Cup to Merion was a mistake IMHO, NGLA should have gotten it in 2009, but, done is done.

Well at least they were designed by the same guy, so all is not lost  ;D (sorry, couldn't resist)

I didn't know Wilson designed NGLA. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back