News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JC Jones

If you could live anywhere....
« on: June 11, 2008, 09:26:47 AM »
in the United States and you were a public course golfer, where would it be? 

A.  Michigan
B.  Oregon
C.  NoCal
D.  SoCal
E.  FL
F.  NE
G.  Mid-Atlantic
H.  Carolinas

Its clear we are all here on this board because we not only love to play the game but we love to be inspired by the courses we play.  What region of the country has the most inspiring public golf and thus, would be the place to live?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Dan Herrmann

Re: If you could live anywhere....
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 09:30:09 AM »
Bend, Oregon

JC Jones

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 09:30:59 AM »
Bend, Oregon

Thats got to be up there.  With all the great courses there and being w/in driving distance of Bandon, that is a great spot.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 09:31:25 AM »
JC -- Only because I wouldn't have to find a new job, or pay big prices to golf, I'd stay in dear old Nebraska.

tlavin

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 09:35:47 AM »
Bend would be great.  North Carolina or South Carolina would be great, but my choice would be:

Wailea, Maui, Hawaii.

Twelve months of perfect weather.  A desert microclimate, despite being only an hour away from a virtual rain forest on the other side of the island.  Terrific public golf courses in the immediate area and not that long of a drive to Kapalua and Kaanapaali.  Spectacular scenery, remarkable seafood.

Eric Smith

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 11:02:36 AM »
Hilton Head Island's not bad!

So many courses to choose from.  Great beaches.  Great seafood.  Awesome laid back atmosphere.

I was fortunate to have had the opportunity to live there after college and to work at a great golf resort.  I got to play nearly every single day at our 5 courses and was able to go play most of the great clubs all around the lowcountry (for free mind you). 

I can most definitely tell you THAT was living the life o' Riley.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 11:04:04 AM »
I assume that money is no object?

If so, put me down for Bandon, Oregon.  I doubt I'd ever tire of the golf, and I'd get used to the changing weather.  I could drive to Bend when and if I felt the need.  I'd rather live in Bandon and drive to Bend than do it the other way around

Wailea would be very nice also.  But while I'd like the weather and the non-golf activities, well... I can't get around Bandon as golf heaven.

TH

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 11:21:45 AM »
I haven't been to Bandon yet, so put me down for Monterey.

If access is no issue I'd take Long Island (though I haven't been there either).
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 11:24:52 AM »
Kyle - access is no issue - he said this is about PUBLIC golf.

And you know I am as homer as they come about Monterey.

But I just can't take Pebble/Spyglass/Poppy/Spanish Bay over the three Bandon courses plus what is to come.

Of course this would also allow me to stay close to home also....

And if I can afford all of this golf, I can damn well fly to Bandon a few times a year....

So you've sold me.  I am changing my answer.  Monterey it is.

What the hell was I thinking?

TH

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 11:43:22 AM »

But I just can't take Pebble/Spyglass/Poppy/Spanish Bay over the three Bandon courses plus what is to come.

And if I can afford all of this golf, I can damn well fly to Bandon a few times a year....

TH

Huck -- Surely you mean FIVE courses at Bandon, because Old Mac is coming and the current Bandon Crossings. Don't you mean you can fly to Monterey a few times a year?

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 11:46:58 AM »

TH

I understand this discussion is of public courses. I'm just saying that if every coursse in the world was public, I'd pick Long Island, purely based on the thins I've seen and heard about the place second-hand.

Also, while I have no doubt that the three Bandon courses may surpass the Pebble Beach courses, Monterey has dozens of other places to play (many of them very good, especially if you include San Juan Oaks, Pasatiempo, etc.). What is near Bandon? The Sheep Ranch, Bandon Crossings, ...? Not much.

Perhaps Old MacDonald will tip the balance.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 11:53:20 AM »
Tony - five courses up there for sure.

And Kyle, well... if we look at it this way where every course is "public", then yes, Long Island is a strong challenger.  I just didn't think that was the intent here.

In any case... I am going to stick with my second answer, Monterey.  I'd rather live near there and fly to Bandon than vice versa.  Kyle makes a strong point about the other nearby courses too.

TH

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 11:55:49 AM »
Huck -- Good for you. I thought I could get you to fold!

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 12:49:08 PM »
in the United States and you were a public course golfer, where would it be? 

A.  Michigan
B.  Oregon
C.  NoCal
D.  SoCal
E.  FL
F.  NE
G.  Mid-Atlantic
H.  Carolinas

Its clear we are all here on this board because we not only love to play the game but we love to be inspired by the courses we play.  What region of the country has the most inspiring public golf and thus, would be the place to live?

JC.,

By Public Course Golfer, are you talking about AFFORDABLE golf. If so the Bandon/ Pebble, Spyglass, Spanish Bay choices would be non-starters.

Bob

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 12:53:39 PM »
Bob - that's why I made my choices with the assumption that money is no object.  Of course if that's the case, then it's hard to believe one would stick only to public courses.  So my bad there!

SO... if affordability is to be factored in... that deletes Monterey and Bandon for sure... and the rest of NoCal and dare I say SoCal as well (man does not live by Rustic Canyon alone).

I'd just also want year-round golf, so for me that deletes nearly all the others....

I guess we're left with the Carolinas?

Maybe Ed Getka is on to something....

;)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 12:54:21 PM »
Bob,

I've heard the rates at the Resort are very reasonable if you actually live in Bandon.  Its only for the out-of-towners that they turn a fat wallet into a skinny one.

To answer the question,

I'd personally have to go with Bandon, and it would be first and foremost because of the golf, but also for other reasons.  The area is un-crowded, right next to the ocean, it sits on perhaps the finest stretch of coastline in the world.  Lots of places to go off-roading.  ;D  Portland is close enough to get to if you were craving some big city action.  Bends not too far away, nor cal isn't too far away. Its a best case scenario in my book for my tastes and preferences.

Michael Moore

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 12:55:53 PM »
Me - "So, golly, how do you like living down here on Cape Cod?"

Hilarious foul-mouthed lobsterman playing companion - "I love it. If I didn't I'd move. What kind of @#$&$ question is that? Don't you like where you live?"
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 12:57:04 PM »
Me - "So, golly, how do you like living down here on Cape Cod?"

Hilarious foul-mouthed lobsterman playing companion - "I love it. If I didn't I'd move. What kind of @#$&$ question is that? Don't you like where you live?"

Busting up.... gotta love the pure logic of that.

;D

Kalen - re Bandon prices, even for Oregonians they seem kinda steep to me...especially if that's going to be the large bulk of one's golf...

Jan Feb Mar Apr May-Oct Nov 1-18 Nov 19-Dec
Hotel Guests $75 $90 $120 $165 $210 $130 $75
Oregonian $75 $90 $120 $165 $n/a $130  $75
All Others $100 $120 $160 $220 $265 $175 $100
Replay* $40 $45 $60 $85 $105 $65 $40
*Hotel Guests may replay on any course. All others may only replay their original course.
*There is no charge for more than 36 hole in a day.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 12:59:59 PM »
I thought bandon residents had a lower green fee than that...something like $45 for non-weekend or something like that.  But I could have been mistaken.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 01:00:31 PM »
Kiawah Island might not be too bad a prospect.  Even if you're not a member of Cassique or River, you've got the Ocean Course, Cougar, Turtle, Osprey, and Oak Points.  Not to mention Charleston being none too far away.  Of course, being a public golfer, the tantalizing proximity to CC of Charleston, Yeamans Hall, Bulls Bay, & private course Co. might drive one crazy.

The Myrtle Beach area's not too bad either.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Garland Bayley

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2008, 01:06:27 PM »
Florence, OR. The recreational opportunities there beyond golf are great, and I don't want to deal with mosquitoes on the east side of the Cascades. So you see Huck, you are smarter than you thought.  ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Doug Ralston

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2008, 01:10:30 PM »
What? No one here wants to live in them hills in Eastern Kentucky? Tut tut.  :D

Seriously, if money was no object, AND if seasons were not either, Northern Michigan would be awesome. But it is. And they are. Alas.

Doug

Lou_Duran

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2008, 01:12:37 PM »
If having a job, cost of living, affordability, and playing year round are considered, Arlington and Houston, TX would be my recommendations.

If money was no object- which means private club memberships plus resort golf- Carmel, CA.  No question.

Mike Benham

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2008, 01:15:31 PM »
Always a fun and useless exercise ...

To all who choose Bandon, how is the singles scene up there? 

No way you are going to get Mrs. Huckaby (as an example) to tote along the kids so that you can play golf all day long.  Even if money was no object, do you think she will allow you to pick a location that is light on the sun, fun and shopping?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2008, 01:17:25 PM »
Always a fun and useless exercise ...

To all who choose Bandon, how is the singles scene up there? 

No way you are going to get Mrs. Huckaby (as an example) to tote along the kids so that you can play golf all day long.  Even if money was no object, do you think she will allow you to pick a location that is light on the sun, fun and shopping?

Another factor to consider, for sure.  And at least my Mrs. Huckaby would not take kindly to the suggestion to move to Bandon, OR.

SO... with that in mind... methinks Lou Duran offers some great suggestions.  Mrs. Huckaby would love Carmel, and would accept either of those Texas locations.

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back