News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Will MacEwen

Re: If you could live anywhere....
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2008, 05:52:25 PM »
How many months per year can you play in Santa Fe?

Mike Hendren

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2008, 05:57:19 PM »
Like W. C. Handy "I'd rather be here than any place I know."

That said, maybe Asheboro, NC.  Ross nine-holer for $8 right in town ($365 for the year) with Tot Hill Farm nearby for some fun and outrageous cart ball.  30 minues to Pinehurst, with NASCAR, college sports and pro sports an hour away. 
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tom Yost

« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2008, 06:20:38 PM »
I don't see Arizona on your list.

Yes!

Completely forgot about that.

Flagstaff area would be pretty nice, no?

TH

Flagstaff is a beautiful area for sure, but not so great for public golf, unfortunately.

The greater Phoenix area, however, is home to 100+ public golf courses that are playable 12 months of the year.   Hot as hell in the summer obviously, but not unreasonable, once acclimated.  ;D

Tom

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2008, 06:22:40 PM »
Tom Y:

Well... I knew all that about Phoenix/Scottsdale.  My question about Flagstaff was more to achieve nicer weather and great golf.  Sadly they don't have the latter there?

Not sure I could handle a Phoenix summer.  But the rest of the year that would seem to be fantastic.  How bout I summer in Bandon?

;D

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2008, 06:30:26 PM »
If affordability, ease of access, ability to play year round, and quality were the issue it would really be difficult to beat World Woods and the surrounding area.   World Woods, with an annual players card, is about $30 with a world class practice facility.  It's an hour's drive from Tampa with a ton of other courses for variety.

Mike - I was thinking about that definitely, but what scared me off is the weather.  Me no like heat and humidity.  Just how bad is it?

TH

Golf in August in Florida is much better than golf in January in Colorado, northern Michigan, or many other named destinations.  Start early, finish early - it's not bad.

Same goes for Arizona's summers. 

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2008, 06:38:25 PM »
Steve - very cool.

This dreaming is pretty darn fun... and educational.

TH

Kalen Braley

« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2008, 07:04:26 PM »
I'd recommend the greater Salt Lake City area.  I've been all over the west coast and have yet to find a bigger selection of quality courses that are extremely affordable.  And to boot tee times are no big deal pretty much everywhere you go...especially on Sundays.

But with the cold winter, and brutally hot summers, I just really can't...   :'(

John Moore II

« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2008, 07:19:31 PM »
If I didn't have to deal with mostly grumpy people, I would live in Southern Florida, near Palm Beach. However, since in my 3 months down there, I met maybe a dozen people that were personable, I will pass. I'll take my home in Carolina as the place to be.

Tom Yost

« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2008, 07:21:43 PM »
Tom Y:

Well... I knew all that about Phoenix/Scottsdale.  My question about Flagstaff was more to achieve nicer weather and great golf.  Sadly they don't have the latter there?

Flagstaff has but 18 holes of not-particularly-notable public golf. 

I understand there is some very good private courses, but I was keeping with the original poster's theme of public golf. 

Oh yeah, you are soon to be experiencing this N Arizona golf.  I don't think you will be disappointed!  Except when you come down to see the D-Backs put a whipping on the Dodgers  :D

Tom

rchesnut

« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2008, 08:40:43 PM »
Patrick Glynn and Dr. MacKenzie got it right...Santa Cruz is as good as it gets.  Sure, it's expensive, but name a place with better year round weather...cool summers and moderate winters.   More Top 100 courses within an hour's drive that any place I know.    And plenty to do within an hour's drive (San Jose, SF, Carmel) too.   Oregon has incredible golf, but all that rain is just too much to handle in the winter....it's a great place to visit from No Cal though.   Michigan and Arizona and Florida are fine for maybe 8 months, but the other 4 are a killer.   I'd give 2nd place to Maui, the weather is  probably as good or even better if you like heat and wind, but it's more expensive and the golf just isn't as good.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2008, 08:57:16 PM »
Rob,
Bend, OR is in the high desert - you'd be amazed how sunny it is out there.

Working against Oregon is their 9% income tax, though.  But there is no sales tax...

Garland Bayley

« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2008, 09:00:09 PM »
Rob,

Working against Oregon is their 9% income tax, though.  But there is no sales tax...

Not to mention a glut of real estate waiting to be snapped up a bargain prices.
 ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2008, 09:03:33 PM »
Really?
Oh yeah - I still need to work for a living...  Da**.  :)

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2008, 09:15:12 PM »
Rob,

Not to mention a glut of real estate waiting to be snapped up a bargain prices.
 ;)

Here in Florida I will take your glut - and raise you a glut!

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2008, 09:23:30 PM »
 . . . In Natalie Gulbis's thong.  :o

John Moore II

« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2008, 12:01:16 AM »
. . . In Natalie Gulbis's thong.  :o
hmmm...now thats a site I would like to see in person. I am sure the architecture is wonderful!

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2008, 12:11:59 AM »
I would be relatively content living in Moorpark.....play Rustic 350 days a year in shorts, walk the course, pay a reasonable green fee, and have a place that maintains my interest.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

JC Jones

« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2008, 09:32:04 AM »
I used to harp on the winters up here but, to be honest, it is nice to shut the game down in mid to late october and start it back up in early to mid april. 

You play so much in the good weather months, because you know they will end soon, that you like a break for a few months. 

Sprinkle in the occassional November/December/March bonus round and a golf trip somewhere and you'd be surprised how quick the winters can go from a golf standpoint.

So I would lean to an Oregon, NoMi before I'd go AZ or FL.  The question is whether the moderate all year spots like the carolinas make for a better play.

Obviously this is all IMO.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back