News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Troeger

Re: Spyglass No. 1...is it one of the best openers?
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2008, 08:42:36 AM »
One thing I wasn't sure whether I liked at MPCC was the way the bunker complex narrows the landing area for the long hitter who wants an opportunity to go for the green in two. I hit such bad drives (two including a provisional) that I never got to experience that part of the hole since the second shot went over it. Any thoughts on that? Seemed reasonable for a hole of its length to me.

Castle Pines is a good nomination as well although I'd go Spyglass over it (haven't played Sand Hills). Both go pretty steeply downhill and have well protected greens. Most mortals wouldn't consider either one of them two shot holes in any case. The green at Spyglass is a little better, and the backdrop doesn't hurt either. Good example of a hole though at Castle Pines that's darn good; there's a lot of those out there. The opening par five at Colorado GC is a nice opener too although I'd take Spyglass or Castle Pines over it.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2008, 09:06:03 AM »
Just because we need to see this again....

Gents, How far is the left hand fairway bunker to carry and is there any reason to try? What direction would the prevailing wind be? Thankyou.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2008, 10:21:51 AM »

If you would be so kind, please explain why you prefer Spyglass #1 to Sand Hills number one.  Interestingly we each gave an explanation, and mine was about the shots required (go back to page one, see my post on the subject), yours seems to be all about external views ("as it meanders down to the Pacific" - which is at least a half mile behind where the hole ends).

Is this bizarro / zany role reversal day?

No, it's just your inability to read what I wrote, which was:

"It's tough to beat # 1 at Spyglass as it meanders down to the Pacific."

I like # 1 at Sand Hills, I just don't have the same degree of reverence that you have when evaluating the hole/course.

I'm not as enamored of the approach shot as you are, nor do I feel that the second shot is sensational.

Pull your tee shot on # 1 at Sand Hills and your day could be ruined.

I like par 5's that provide adequate margins of error as introductory holes.

I think # 1 at Spyglass does that quite well.

I'm not just a fan of # 1, I'm a fan of the holes that form the initial introduction to the golf course, I like the routing, elevation changes, diversity in par, greens and challenge.

Perhaps my views on # 1 at Sand Hills would change if I played it in more wind, which is amongst my favorite features.

# 1 at Spyglass has some added personal, sentimental value for me that can't be found at # 1 at Sand Hills ......... yet.
[/color]

Patrick - much better.  Just not that I not only read what you wrote before, I quoted it.  And if ALL you say about a hole is you prefer it because it meanders down to the Pacific - which remember, is at least a half mile past the end of this golf hole - it's an easy conclusion that you are focusing on external views.  But this post explains it well.  I knew you could't have changed your stripes that much.

In the end, I tend to think Sand Hills has every bit the margin of error that Spyglass does - do you so soon forget to the death to the left on Spyglass off the tee and for the 2nd shot?  It's far worse that that at Sand Hills, where balls can and do get found in the wispy rough... And I also believe the challenge and thought required for placement of a 2nd shot layup is greater at Sand Hills as well.  Add in the fact that Sand Hills can be reached in two in favorable conditions, whereas at least for me I can't see a reality of ever reaching Spyglass in two, and there you have it, I find the SHOTS REQUIRED to be superior at Sand Hills.

But if you want to base this on sentimentality, then have it also, because of course I can understand that.  I just haven't factored it in, myself.  Your journey to the bizarro world remains very interesting, and inspiring.

Tom H.

Mike Benham

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2008, 12:17:12 PM »
I always felt hemmed in by the trees on the opening tee shot at Spyglass.  That's the only reason I can't rank it as an equal other openers I like better.

Couldn't some of those trees left be removed to create a more spacious feel on that tee, and at least a partial view of what's to come?

Really?  This view of Spy #1 aka Treasure Island, feels hemmed in by trees?

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Steve Pieracci

« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2008, 07:45:25 PM »
I always felt hemmed in by the trees on the opening tee shot at Spyglass.  That's the only reason I can't rank it as an equal other openers I like better.

Couldn't some of those trees left be removed to create a more spacious feel on that tee, and at least a partial view of what's to come?

Really?  This view of Spy #1 aka Treasure Island, feels hemmed in by trees?

Mike,
I think the fairway photo above is taken standing on the right hand side cart path past the clump of trees shown in the aerial. 

This photo below was taken in February this year from the tee.  Compared to the aerial, it shows that the trees have been cleared along the right and left.  I remember feeling "hemmed in" years ago, but not last Feb.  There is a lot of room down that right side fairway.  I like the suspense this first hole gives me from the tee.  You know the ocean is near, and your anticipation is resolved upon arriving at your tee ball in the fairway.  A really great hole.   

rchesnut

« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2008, 08:26:39 PM »
While Spyglass easily has the best opening hole in the Monterey area, I think Spanish Bay's opening hole is pretty good, it's one of the better holes on that course. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back