News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Adkisson

quoted from:

Dean Stokes
Re: Rees Jones at Torrey Pines....
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 06:31:16 pm »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bethpage has some of the flatest greens I've ever seen. Didn't make it a boring course to watch golf on.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean, having played Bethpage Black for the first time on Thursday, I was amazed at how subtle the greens were...I commented to a playing partner on this that the 12th was the first hole with some larger movement to it...then it seemed that the rest of the course had greens with much more contour...

Question...are there other courses where the greens seem to get progressively more contour as the round progresses, and is this a desirable trait?

Mike_Cirba

Merion.

Jim Adkisson

Merion.

Mike, not to re-open Merion Can of Worms but is this something that is a good trait at Merion?

PThomas

Erin Hills
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Mike_Cirba

Jim,

I think so.

BCrosby

Merion? There are harder greens than 3, 5, 7, and 12 later in the round?

Mike_Cirba

Sure Bob...

I'd say that 15, 16, 17, + 18 might arguably qualify.

Mark_Fine

Bethpage Black greens subtle?  If your definition of subtle is "not a lot going on", then you are correct, they are subtle.  I played The Black a two weeks ago and I didn't see what I would call "inherent genius" in the green contouring.  I believe the greens at The Black were designed as they are (relatively flat) because otherwise most people wouldn't finish their rounds!  I'm playing SFGC next week and if you put those Tillie greens on The Black, forget it  ;D  Maybe when they are rolling at 14 as they were at The Open in 2002, the "subtleness" comes out but not at 9 or so.  Don't you think that if you can make a straight 10 footer, you will make a lot of putts at The Black.  Only problem is that many of them might be for par  ;)  Overall, however, I love the golf course.  I do have my own opinions about some of the Rees bunkering but otherwise it is a solid test of golf. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 01:29:11 PM by Mark_Fine »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back