News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rich Goodale

Name the....
« on: June 09, 2008, 06:55:39 AM »
...three most boring threads recently posted on this DG.

If you want to spice up your life, do what I did and put together a list of 54 holes, 18 3s, 18 4s and 18 5s, all of which must be from a different course, all of which must be the actual hole number, and all of which you have actually played.

I'm sure most of us have played 54 courses.  Trust me that when you try to limit your top 54 hole to 54 courses, it gets both difficult and very interesting!

Much more fun and instructive, IMHO, than again endlessly debating the merits of 11 at the Old Course or 18 at Pebble Beach.

Go for it!

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Name the....
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 07:30:12 AM »
Rich,

Like my long time pupil, TEPaul, you'll begin to get the gist of these three threads when I post a related thread after a sufficient number of replies have been entered.

Patience my man.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 08:30:54 AM »
Pat

With all due respect, your thread is boring and repetitive.  Heer is my answer to my thread (i.e. this one), which is exciting and fresh. Feel free to answer/comment, if you wish.

Top 18 par 3's I have played, play to their number, and are not repeated elsewhere on this post (hopefully....)

1--Aberdour
2--Shinnecock
3.  Olympic
4.. NGLA
5.  Brora
6.  Anstruther
7.  SFGC
8.  Eden
9.  New Course
10. County Down\
11. Applebrook
12. Murcar
13. Merion
14. Il Piccolino
15. Partmarnock
16. Carnoustie
17. TPD-Sawgrass
18. Kinghorn

Top 18 par 4's I have played, play to their number, and are not repeated elsewhere on this post (hopefully....)

1.  Birkdale
2.  Portsalon
3.  Sawgrass CC
4.  Rye
5.  Skibo
6.  Kingsbarns
7.  Lahinch
8.  Cypress Point
9.  Pebble Beach
10. Pitreavie
11. Ballybunion
12. Troon
13. Old Musselburgh
14. Hoylake
15. Stirling
16. Deal
17. Prestwick
18. Western Gailes

Top 18 par 5s I have played, play to their number, and are not repeated elsewhere on this post (hopefully....)

1.  Spyglass
2.  Losiemouth
3.  Pitfferrane
4.  Alwoodley
5.  Cruden Bay
6. Cinnabar Hills
7  Lytham
8.  Painswick
9. LLundin
10. Turnberry
11. North Berwick
12. Dornoch
13. Winchester
14. Sandwich
15. Harbour Town
16. Stanford
17. Muirfield
18. Pacific Dunes

Hope this helps, Pat.

Rich

Dan Kelly

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 09:54:22 AM »
Rich --

I'm not sure I can name the three most boring threads lately, but I'd be happy to take a stab at naming the four worst-named recent threads.

Though, of course, one of them is beautifully named.

(Emoticons -- including exclamation points -- omitted.)

Dan
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 10:13:10 AM »
Rich - thanks.  An interesting list for its breadth and depth - and I can now read about those holes/courses and learn a lot. But, one of the funniest things I've read recently was you calling that post  "exciting and fresh". I know that Pat provoked you, but still...

Dan - I think I'm really starting to understand you, and the reasons you post what you do and how you do.  And I'm glad you've decided to spice up the self-imposed challenge of posting sans emoticons by ruling out exclamation points too.

I'm toying with the idea of further adding to the challenge by excluding words...

Peter 

Rich Goodale

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 10:29:27 AM »
taks dn ad per i edd ta

Dan Kelly

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 10:34:43 AM »
Rich - thanks.  An interesting list for its breadth and depth - and I can now read about those holes/courses and learn a lot. But, one of the funniest things I've read recently was you calling that post  "exciting and fresh". I know that Pat provoked you, but still...

Dan - I think I'm really starting to understand you, and the reasons you post what you do and how you do.  And I'm glad you've decided to spice up the self-imposed challenge of posting sans emoticons by ruling out exclamation points too.

I'm toying with the idea of further adding to the challenge by excluding words...

Peter 

Rich Goodale

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 10:36:23 AM »
 :o

Dan Kelly

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 10:36:52 AM »
taks dn ad per i edd ta

I think you've been in Scotland too long.

James Boon

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 01:00:38 PM »
Richard,
Interesting thread. Just a small point though. The 5th at Brora is a par 4. Perhaps you are thinking of the 6th which is a par 3...
Hope that doesn't ruin your list too much?
Cheers
James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 01:09:05 PM »
This could lead to an entirely new form of dyslexic rating of holes and courses.  Although, I have been trying for years to perfect that form and style...  (do three dots count...)?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 01:25:53 PM »
Richard,
Interesting thread. Just a small point though. The 5th at Brora is a par 4. Perhaps you are thinking of the 6th which is a par 3...
Hope that doesn't ruin your list too much?
Cheers
James

Well spotted, James! I don't take up too much time compiling lists like these, so mea culpa, but in an incredible example of serendipity, I find that the hole I love at Anstruther is actually the 5th!  So just switch that with Brora and everything is hunky-dory!

Jim Nugent

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 02:16:10 PM »
:o

Sheer profundity, Rich.  The economy of words.  The depth of inner meaning.  Minimalism at its finest.  Hopefully, more posters on GCA will take a cue from this valuable lesson. 

John Goodman

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 02:26:16 PM »
Here are the 3s Rich:
1.  Walton Heath (Old)
2.  Dornoch
3.  Olympic (Lake)
4.  Cruden Bay
5.  Teeth of the Dog
6.  Tobacco Road
7.  Pebble
8.  TOC
9.  Pinehurst #2
10.  Pac Dunes
11.  TOC
12.  Waterville
13.  Muirfield
14.  Portrush
15.  North Berwick
16.  Carnoustie
17.  Pac Dunes
18.  Pasatiempo

Rich Goodale

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 11:11:49 PM »
Thanks, John

All are good choices.  I hoped that my approach would stimulate some more creativity, and in at least this one instance, it has worked!

Rich

paul cowley

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 07:25:55 AM »

Peter 

;D!
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 08:48:55 AM »
OK Rich...

...A very quick first pass at the threes:

1 – Berkshire (Blue)
2 – Woking
3 – Club De Koln
4 – Cruden Bay
5 – Co. Louth
6 – Carlow
7 – Hankley Common
8 – Royal Aberdeen
9 – St Andrews (New)
10 – Berkshire (Red)
11 – St Andrews (Old)
12 – Westport
13 – Connemara
14 – St Georges Hill
15 – Portmarnock
16 – The Island
17 – Blairgowrie
18 – Killeen

These would probably all go to pot when I had to consider the fours and fives though...

James Boon

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 09:34:54 AM »
As you couldn't get the 6th at Brora on your list, thought I'd have a go at a Par 3 list... Only to find that I haven't played that many courses that finish with a par 3, so I need the 18th from Brora for that! I hope to play Lindrick in the next few months which has a par 3 finish, but then I would lose the 6th at Painswick which is a great hole. May avoid these lists in future?!

1. Walton Heath (Old)
2. Royal Dornoch
3. Rushcliffe
4. Saunton (West)
5. County Louth
6. Painswick
7. Coxmoor
8. St Andrews (Eden)
9. Burnham & Berrow

10. Royal West Norfolk
11. Teignmouth
12. Woodhall Spa
13. Notts
14. Royal Portush
15. Cavendish
16. Royal North Devon
17. Saunton (East)
18. Brora

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Rich Goodale

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 09:50:00 AM »
James

I did get Brora #6 in once I relalised that Anstruther's great par3 is the 5th.  See above.  I must admit, however, that Painswick's 6th is a better par3.  Well chosen.  Now that I think of it, I might just switch Brora and Painswick's 6th holes with their 8th holes.  Brora's 8th is in fact a much better par 5 than is Painswick's. 

Cheers

Richard

John Goodman

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 10:41:40 AM »
OK, Rich, I have a stab at the whole thing now.  Interestingly, the requirement of non-repetition required me to select holes that aren't the best holes on the course (sometimes I found that the hole I was forced to select was preceded or followed by a better one).  Still, I think all of them are defensible (OK, maybe some of the 5s are a little spotty):

Par 3s

1.  Kingussie
2.  Royal Dornoch
3.  Ventana Canyon (Mountain)
4.  Cruden Bay
5.  Casa de Campo (Teeth of the Dog)
6.  Brora
7.  Pebble Beach
8.  Punta Bolinquen
9.  Caledonia
10.  Golspie
11.  Pinehurst # 1 (!)
12.  Waterville
13.  Crail (Balcomie)
14.  Royal Portrush
15.  Ballybunion (Old)
16.  Carnoustie
17.  Bandon Trails
18.  The Shoals (Fighting Joe)

Par 4s

1.  Portstewart
2.  Pasatiempo
3.  Capstone Club
4.  Bandon Dunes
5.  Nairn
6.  Pine Needles
7.  Pacific Dunes
8.  Royal St. George
9.  Royal County Down
10.  We-Ko-Pa (Saguaro)
11.  Casa de Campo (Dye Fore)
12.  Talking Stick (North)
13.  Hayling Island
14.  Portmarnock (Old)
15.  St. Andrews (Jubilee)
16.  Cohasset
17.  St. Andrews (Old)
18.  Bay Hill

Par 5s

1.  Spyglass Hill
2.  Royal New Kent
3.  Vista Verde
4.  Boat of Garten
5.  Farm Links
6.  Shoal Creek
7.  Ballantrae
8.  Limestone Springs
9.  Kingsbarns
10.  Pinehurst #2
11.  Boulders (South)
13.  Tobacco Road
14.  World Woods (Pine Barrens)
15.  Olympic (Lake)
16.  Walton Heath (Old)
17.  Old Head
18.  Yale

Now, what was the point of the exercise?

John Goodman

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 10:51:51 AM »
Oops, I left out hole # 12 on the par 5s:  Royal Ashdown Forest.  A cracker of a hole too. 

Rich Goodale

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 04:18:51 PM »
John

The point (at least for me) was to open one's mind to the questions that Pat posed away from the obvious answers (e.g. Cypress Point 16 for a par 3, Road Hole for a par 4, Pebble 18 for a par 5, etc.), but also to force people to step away from their homer tendencies to think about 54 courses and not just 5-10.  I've learned some good stuff from your posts and the others on this thread, but not much on Pat's threads, because it's the same old same old, at least IMHO.

Rich

Mike Benham

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2008, 05:06:50 PM »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

George Pazin

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2008, 05:39:32 PM »
...three most boring threads recently posted on this DG.

If you're gonna call out my threads, at least have the guts to use my name.... :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Goodman

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 05:40:39 PM »
Oh no . . .

This may take some real cogitatin' to fix -

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back