News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Franklin

Beechtree = NLE (soon?)
« on: June 08, 2008, 08:09:30 AM »
I do not know if this has been discussed recently, but I understand Beechtree will be getting plowed under soon. There is a new owner and they plan on building houses. I heard Bulle Rock may be right behind them.
Anyone know any different? I hope I am wrong and it was just a rumor.
Mr Hurricane

Mark Bourgeois

Re: Beechtree = NLE (soon?)
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 08:19:49 AM »
Gotta catch up on your back issues, Mr Hurricane:
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,34036.0.html

Helpfully
A Gator Fan

Joe Bausch

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 08:29:25 AM »
While working the LPGA tourney at BR this week I heard this B'tree rumor again.  It was not a source that I would put much stock in.  But I'm working there again today and will keep my eyes and ears open.

Your rumor of BR potentially closing is a new one for me.  The McDonald's LPGA will only be held at BR one more year according to very recent reports before moving to another site as well as simply being called the "LPGA Championship".  This had been rumored for many months, one which I had a source that was quite reliable:  while playing Bethpage last fall I played behind a member of the LGPA Board of Directors and got the scoop that the tour was going to leave BR.  This person suggested this year's tourney would be the last one there, so she wasn't quite right on the timing but pretty much everything else I was told was dead on.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jim Franklin

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 08:55:20 AM »
Gotta catch up on your back issues, Mr Hurricane:
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,34036.0.html

Helpfully
A Gator Fan

Thanks Mark, I kinda thought there may have been mention of this, but I have not been around the Board in awhile and was too lazy to search.

Unfortunately for Corey, Mr Knott has sold the property and I believe the course is going to go. It is unfortunate as I always enjoyed playing there. I have a few friends going out there next weekend for their farewell round.
Mr Hurricane

Mike Hendren

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 09:23:29 AM »
Ironically, this might be one of the few times that a golf course is a "higher and better use" than residential development.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Cory Lewis

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 09:36:54 AM »

Unfortunately for Corey, Mr Knott has sold the property and I believe the course is going to go. It is unfortunate as I always enjoyed playing there. I have a few friends going out there next weekend for their farewell round.

Yes, it's true and I will now have to setup my final round there soon.  I will really miss the place.  It was the best job I ever had in terms of a mix of great golf course and wonderful staff.  I encourage everybody to see the place before it goes under.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 12:52:14 PM »
deleted
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 03:18:07 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Adam_Messix

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 03:30:44 PM »
Does anyone know when Beechtree is going to close? 

Does the person/group who purchased Beechtree realize that this country is going through a housing slump with major demand/price declines? 

I would have understood this five years ago, but not now.  It's a shame to, as Beechtree is an excellent course.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 07:38:14 PM »
Wow, this is very sad indeed. 

But I have this funny feeling B'tree closing will be the first of many courses to close (in the 1.5h drive from Philly).  Gas, food, you-name-it prices have skyrocketed and I don't think they will ever come back down.  Public courses at the high-end end rely upon golfers from many miles, I think, and those are going to be cut down drastically.

And I'm betting private courses aren't immune either and some of these will go belly-up.  I don't know, perhaps private courses are more in jeopardy?  I'd love to hear comments on this topic.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 09:05:24 PM »
Please read the thread quoted by Mark (2nd post).

Beechtree is not closing.

Damn - I'm wrong - This is VERY sad.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 09:22:12 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 09:12:03 PM »
Please read the thread quoted by Mark (2nd post).

Beechtree is not closing.

Dan, read reply #5 in this thread from Corey.... I'm pretty sure if what Corey wrote is accurate, B'tree is heading to the NLE pile.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 09:20:51 PM »
Joe - Crapola.  Bad news for golf in our part of the world.

I know of a couple clubs out in the western burbs of Philly that are in dire straits too.   These are unlike B'tree, though - old sytyle clubs that haven't adjusted with the times.

John_Conley

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 11:06:49 PM »
I was going to start a thread "BeechtrNLE" after playing there Monday, but didn't get around to it.  Turns out the news broke in April and some are discussing it in today's thread.  Too bad, I loved the course.

It is the first Doak design I've played.  I better get going to see the others before those close too.  ;)

Don't worry TD, Norman's still way up on you.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 07:59:08 AM »
Does anyone know when Beechtree is going to close? 

Does the person/group who purchased Beechtree realize that this country is going through a housing slump with major demand/price declines? 

I would have understood this five years ago, but not now.  It's a shame to, as Beechtree is an excellent course.

We may be going through a housing slump, but with Aberdeen Proving Grounds right around the corner and some new housing issues with the armed forces, this is a lead pipe cinch to be successful. It is a shame.
Mr Hurricane

Andy Hughes

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 09:37:17 AM »
I must be missing what you all are reading--when is Beechtree closing?
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Joe Bausch

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 09:44:06 AM »
I must be missing what you all are reading--when is Beechtree closing?

No definitive date has been published anywhere that I've seen... I believe we need an insider to clue us in as to the likely date.... perhaps some GCA.com'er with real good access will give us a hint!

Mark Arata

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 09:47:17 AM »
Well, since I read this thread, it certainly made my Bulle Rock/Beechtree decision much easier.......

I will ask around on Saturday when I am there and report back any news......
New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 09:51:55 AM »
Who is the buyer? There are still some financially strong builders out there who can "bank" land until the market rebounds. That happened here in Philly when a builder bought Horsham Valley last year but the course won't close until after the 2009 season.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Carl Rogers

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 03:05:03 PM »
This thread stimulated me t0 e-mail Beechtree and this is what they sent as way of a reply:

"Good Afternoon:

Thank you for your interest in Beechtree Golf Club.  At this time, there has been some preliminary work for a possible housing development.  However, at this time ownership has not made a decision to move forward with this possibility.  Therefore, the course and clubhouse are in full operation for the remaining 2008 season and hopefully for many years to come.

Kindest Regards,

Cathy Dermott

Director of Sales & Marketing"

Adam_Messix

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 03:16:29 PM »
Jim--

I can understand Aberdeen PG growing all the time.  When I'm home I can hear them blasting on a daily basis.  The market's still pretty tight even there though.  The housing development on what was going to be Bulle Rock North was meant to be a bedroom community for Baltimore.  I'm not sure how it's done, but I think bedroom communities that far out of town are going to struggle for the forseeable future. 

At least it appears as if the course is going to stay open throughout this year and I hope to get back to see it before it closes. 

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 07:56:37 PM »
Adam,
I had a colleague that lived in Havre de Grace, MD when I worked at Vanguard in Malvern, PA.  It's getting to the point where you can't tell where Boston starts and Washington DC ends.     OK - maybe not Boston, but Hartford for sure...

How many good courses will we lose in the persuit of the almighty quick buck?

Mark Arata

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 07:05:26 PM »
I played Beechtree on Saturday, course is in perfect condition. The ranger and the pro behind the counter both said that they are not taking any corporate or tournament outing dates for 2009, but that the course may remain open for 2009 as they line up all the financing and zoning changes needed (or wait for the economy to turn around) to turn it into 300 houses and 300 townhouses, or something like that.....

It is really a shame to lose a course as good as this. The people that work there seem to think it is over for sure though......I hope they find a way to keep it, seemed like they could still build some housing and keep the course.

I wonder how much business they are doing, I walked up at 1pm on a beautiful Saturday, was paired up with a twosome, and we played 16 holes in 3 hours before the horn went off for a lightning storm....there werent more than 4-5 other groups on the course as far as I could tell......95 dollars to play, which didnt seem unreasonable for me, considering the quaility of the course.......
New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2008, 08:49:11 PM »
Everybody within a 6-7 hour drive should head to Beechtree to get in a round or two before it's violated by the short-sighted jerks that bought the land.   It's a helluva course that I've always completly enjoyed. 

It's just so darn sad.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2008, 08:59:19 PM »
This is a real shame. If any of you would like one last piece of your memories of the place, you can get them here. All kinds of cool stuff. http://www.planetproshop.com/store/bbeechtreegolfclubmdb
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 09:02:40 PM by Glenn Spencer »

George Pazin

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2008, 10:45:14 PM »
I'm always amazed any daily fee courses stay in existence. Not that they're not profitable, I'd just think the owner could make a lot more money with housing.

I think the golf industry is run more by dreamers than by money seekers.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back