News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: What is your handicap...?
« Reply #175 on: July 09, 2008, 06:45:53 PM »
AwsHuckster

At the end of the day, a handicap is what it is.  Personally, I don't see a need to adjust handicaps unless its part of a society where you want to make sure all have a good shot a winning prizes by the end of the year.  Hell, the group I run has me at +3 and we always do 3/4s!  One thing is for certain, nobody in that group can bitch to me about caps.  I say state yer number and keep the stakes reasonable (essentially, enough to buy a round of drinks).  All this mumbo jumbo about fairness makes about as much sense as a Behr essay. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #176 on: July 10, 2008, 12:00:58 AM »
Sean:  I agree with you.

But the question at hand was what to do when people who don't know each other's games, one from the US and one from the UK, play against each other at match play.  The point is that they if they are concerned with making it fair, they just plain can't use their respective handicaps as given by their home associations, as the methodology is so different as to make the use against each other meaningless.

But of course in the end, keeping the stakes reasonable and just doing the best one can is always great advice!

That just wasn't the question here, that's all.

TH

Jason Topp

« Reply #177 on: July 10, 2008, 12:28:08 AM »

Of course another possible answer is the UK guys all choked their minds out!

;D

I'm sure that was it.  It was a real pressure cooker!

Sean_A

« Reply #178 on: July 10, 2008, 01:42:50 AM »
Sean:  I agree with you.

But the question at hand was what to do when people who don't know each other's games, one from the US and one from the UK, play against each other at match play.  The point is that they if they are concerned with making it fair, they just plain can't use their respective handicaps as given by their home associations, as the methodology is so different as to make the use against each other meaningless.

But of course in the end, keeping the stakes reasonable and just doing the best one can is always great advice!

That just wasn't the question here, that's all.

TH

AwsHuckster

I reckon its about as fair as it gets.  I can't see how making up crazy formulas based on opinions and anecdotal evidence makes things any more fair. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back