News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Arata

Bulle Rock or Beechtree, which one to play?
« on: June 03, 2008, 04:06:27 PM »
Have to shuttle a car up to the motherland (nj) from the swamp that is New Orleans, planning on playing in Maryland at either Beechtree or Bulle Rock on Saturday the 14th.....any preferences amongst the peanut gallery?

I played 9 rain drenched holes at Beechtree, never saw the back nine, and have never played Bulle Rock. Playing Dancing Rabbit on Friday, hopefully one of these two courses on Saturday, and Atlantic City on Sunday......

If anyone is in the area and is free to play on saturday at either course, please let me know.....I am by myself traveling up, meeting some friends in AC on Sat night.

Thanks in advance.....Mark.
New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

Matt MacIver

Re: Bulle Rock or Beechtree, which one to play?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 04:17:05 PM »
They're playing the LPGA at BR this weekend so it still ought to be in great shape next weekend.  Maybe even the rough will still be trampled down....

I've played BR once and enjoyed it for it's rolling terrain and greens.  Think the cost is in the $160/range.  Haven't seen Beechtree yet but its rack-rate looks to be just over 50%. 

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 04:20:30 PM »
Bulle Rock Mark
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Paul Carey

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 06:13:25 PM »
Beechtree is so much fun....a lot more fun than Bulle Rock (and I think Bulle Rock is a great golf course).  I don't want to sound like a "Tom Doak But Boy" but Beechtree looks like the course has been there for 75 years and plays as the land is laid out.  It is fun and a great walk in the park.

You can't go wrong with either so have fun.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 06:16:51 PM »
Beechtree is so much fun....a lot more fun than Bulle Rock (and I think Bulle Rock is a great golf course).  I don't want to sound like a "Tom Doak But Boy" but Beechtree looks like the course has been there for 75 years and plays as the land is laid out.  It is fun and a great walk in the park.

You can't go wrong with either so have fun.

I would echo Paul's thoughts.  I've walked BR many times as I'm a scorer for the LGPA tourney there, but I've only played it once.  I've played Beechtree 4 or 5 times now.  It is lots of fun.  Last time there, this past fall, I snapped many photos of the place and perhaps they can help you make your decision:

http://golfarchitecturepictures.com/Web%20Galleries/USA/Maryland/Beechtree/index.html

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mark Arata

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 08:51:12 PM »
great pictures Joe, thanks...

There was a rain storm of epic proportions (think old testament) when we were there last time, started out in the rain, the heavy stuff came and we kept playing, but we had to stop on the 7th hole and the fairways were washed out on the 8th and 9th by the time we got back to the clubhouse. Never saw the back 9. Loved the holes we got to play......

I am leaning towards driving all night so I can play both at the moment!
Not sure it is possible yet, but since the Azaela course at Dancing Rabbit is closed on Friday for a tourney, I might drive all day friday and play 2 on Saturday.........

Joe Bausch

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 08:58:46 PM »
Mark, playing both in one day would be simply wonderful!

Joe

P.S.  Seeing your signature file reminds of one of the greatest photoshop jobs I've ever seen:

P.S.S.  Only Pat Burrell stranded more people that year than Hurricane Katrina.  ;)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mark Arata

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 09:06:31 PM »
that is classic.....never saw that one before. I might make that my new screensaver........

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 09:13:44 PM »
Keep in mind that Bulle Rock is considerably more expensive than Beechtree.  I much prefer the ebb and flow of Beechtree.  

To me, Bulle Rock just seems to peter out after #14.   To me, 15 is a goofy, disjointed par 5.  16 is a pretty below average short par 4.  17 is an OK par 3, and 18 is almost a prototypical Dye 18th hole - long hole with water down the left side.

But BR has one of my all time favorite par 5's, the 2nd hole.  9 is fun, and 11 is a really nice par 5.

I just prefer Beechtree.

But you'll be OK at BR too.  Can't miss!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back