News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

Re: BUDA buzz
« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2008, 09:00:50 PM »
Tony - thanks much for posting those pictures.

Looking at that golf course/that bit of nature, I can see why Behr talked about golf as a 'sport' and not as a 'game'.  In comparison, many courses I've seen look more like billiard tables than fields of play.

Peter
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 09:13:08 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Joe Fairey

« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2008, 01:29:22 AM »
a little post Buda update....as Rich said...'in the spirit of Buda'...there are only winners again this year....for everyone to know...only the venues are engraved on the 'cup', and this year's event was outstanding....thanks to all that worked so hard to have such a nice event...

if you really want a little scoring info, I can honestly tell that I probably received the week's most sound thrashing at the hands of a fine gentleman and golfer, Ian Dickson, at the Weds singles...when I offered the handicap differential between the two of us on the first tee, and he polilitely declined,  I should have known I was in trouble....after I went  1 up, Ian proceeded to win the next six holes with a series of pars and birdies over some brutally tough  holes...for the round. a fine 69..my hat's off to you..Ian..a fine round from a fine gentleman...

a little for Buda 'bonus' this year, it was great to be with the Cal Golden Bear womens golf team on Tue at Elie...

http://calbears.cstv.com/sports/w-golf/cal-w-golf-body.html

what a treat to watch those young ladies playing their way around Elie...including a few cartwheels along the way(McBride's got some pics..so look for some postings)

off to Turnberry this morning with Mike Whitaker and Fred Ulmer to watch some real golf at the British Am...then back to work Mon.

all in all a great week...for any you thinking of joining next year...do yourself a big favor...get on board...you'll be glad you did...until next year....'in the spirit of Buda'

Mark Pearce

« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2008, 02:19:21 AM »
FWIW, I think Mark is a bit harsh on #13, which though an unusual hole and one not terribly similar with the rest of the course is a far a more effective and interesting "transition" hole than the likes of #9 at Cruden Bay, to pick one example of the type.

Ah!  Architecture talk!

Not entirely for the sole reason of playing Devil's advocate, I'm going to disagree here.  9 at Cruden Bay is an obvious transition hole (so, I think are 10 and even 11) but, whilst it's not one of the course's better holes is I think, stronger than Lundin 13 which relies almost entirely on the cluster of trees short right of the gren for its challenge.  Lundin's 13th's great feature is the fact that it gives such a dramatic view of the remainder of the course, which is undoubtedly a feature of the course.

Cruden 9 is an awkward and unappealing drive - uphill between equidistant bunkers to a fairway which, in last weekend's wind, was impossible to hit and hold from the angled medal tee) but the second shot - downhill to a green running away - is a more interesting shot.

In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Andy Levett

« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2008, 04:55:50 AM »
13 at Lundin is top of very shortlist of holes where trees play a good part in the strategy. The fairway is wide enough, but to get a decent view of the green you have to flirt with bunkers and a big drop off to the left. Otherwise it's a lay-up or take on a spectacular power fade through the gap, like Joe Fairey suceeded with on day 1. (I also like 9 at Cruden - ground game second to a fall-away green, how GCA is that? - particularly as nobody's attempted to make it more 'interesting' by putting bunkers in the second shot landing area)

An autumn get together in the North-East is an excellent idea!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2008, 09:39:01 AM »
I feel like a boor, a cad, and a country bumpkin all for having even asked the question about winners and losers. I realized only now how little I know about the Buda Cup, or understand about its participants....

Peter 

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #105 on: June 20, 2008, 09:47:03 AM »
Lots to digest. Tony as Uncle Joe said, the winner is the Game of Golf!

(Of course, with a very few notable exceptions the level of play was such that we should expect a restraining order from Game of Golf's attorneys for BUDA to cease all references to the "Game of Golf.")

Martin, anyone discussing their own game is subject to escalation of handicap until all such references cease!  At BUDA, you never lose. Your opponent plays better.

And Benedict Goodale's whin(g)ing - as sure a sign the man's gone native / Kurtz / Crusoe / Selkirk - rings hollow. Next year we'll draw him to play PM Conrad. AM Conrad will be reserved for an epic ringer whoever he hasn't played.

Craig D. has been entrusted with the duty of providing a Lundie hole by hole, assuming the strain of lugging a Hasselblad hasn't damaged him permanently (although it should be noted that, with utter disregard for his game and his health, the American captain carried the hood and tripod); I have just a few of Elie and will post those later. (Sadly, this captain let down not only the side but the field in failing to capture, on film, the "swing architecture" noted elsewhere. Perhaps  Fred U. will come through...)

Lastly for now, may we take as the strength of these three (incl Crudie) courses that the initial arch discussion has chosen to focus on the weak holes?

To wit, the seaside stretch of Elie from 10 to 13 is as inspiring and fun as it gets, ditto for 1-5 and 15-18 at Lundie.

Here it would be apropos to add an Old Tom restroom reference were it not for his descendant's gift of Nectar d'Or. The Men of BUDA are a principled and unimpeachable lot. We sell out only for the best whiskies.

And speaking of which, as I now have been schooled on the proper positioning of the toast: To BUDA - Slainte / Cheers!

Mark

Bill_McBride

« Reply #106 on: June 20, 2008, 09:52:15 AM »
I feel like a boor, a cad, and a country bumpkin all for having even asked the question about winners and losers. I realized only now how little I know about the Buda Cup, or understand about its participants....

Peter 

Peter, make plans NOW for whenever next year's Buda will be played.  I can't think of any more fun you could have in the world of golf.  Michael Whitaker and I halved a match with Andrew Mitchell and Lloyd Cole that had to be as much fun as I've ever had on the links.  Elie was the perfect venue, a great collection of half par holes.  I'm sorry it's taken me this long to play Elie, it is a wonderful place, and the stretch of 10-13 is indeed great fun.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2008, 10:02:37 AM »

Lastly for now, may we take as the strength of these three (incl Crudie) courses that the initial arch discussion has chosen to focus on the weak holes?
We may.  Each of these is a wonderful course.
To wit, the seaside stretch of Elie from 10 to 13 is as inspiring and fun as it gets, ditto for 1-5 and 15-18 at Lundie.
Getting on to talking about good holes, you are right about 10 to 13 at Elie, but I think 2, 3, 5, 9, 17 and 18 all also deserve a mention.

Whilst at Lundin the stars are clearly the first 4 and last 4 the run of 6 to 10 are all fine holes (particularly 10, I thought) and 14 is as good a drop shot par 3 as you'll find on a links.

In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #108 on: June 20, 2008, 10:06:14 AM »
As one of the founding organizers of The King's Putter... and one who has sold his soul at least once to get out to The Dixie Cup... well, you know I love events like this.

And the Buda seems to me like it may well be the greatest of them all.  Though we need not compare, that's silly.  But anyway....

I want to start planning NOW.  I NEED to attend a Buda in my golf life.

So was there talk of next year, where and when?

I may "have" to go to the UK next summer for football reasons... tieing this together could be very very nice....

Tom H., dreamer extraordinaire

Mark Pearce

« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2008, 10:14:26 AM »
Tom,

There are, I believe, nascent plans for a combination of Deal and RSG.  Mark Chaplin may have more information about where plans are.  BUDA is a blast and it would be great to see you over.  I know a number of European GCAers at this year's BUDA were seriously considering making the trip for one of these get togethers in the States.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #110 on: June 20, 2008, 10:17:47 AM »
Tom,

There are, I believe, nascent plans for a combination of Deal and RSG.  Mark Chaplin may have more information about where plans are.  BUDA is a blast and it would be great to see you over.  I know a number of European GCAers at this year's BUDA were seriously considering making the trip for one of these get togethers in the States.

Fantastic! I shall keep my eyes and ears open.

And it would we wonderful to have some overseas participation in the events here as well. 

People wonder what's "right" about this website?

Attend one of these events and ye shall never wonder again.

TH

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2008, 10:43:31 AM »
I'll add another voice to those who had a great time with a fine group of people at the Buda.  It was nice to meet you all and put faces to names.  And to add new names, such as Ian, Malcolm and Peter. 

Peter, you have to go to know the outcomes.  The tension positively crackles when the envelopes are opened and the match scores are read out.  Regrettably a certain slightly erratic golfer was not able to win 17UP  ;)  in the last match to square the competition.  AS for three days would have been the most just outcome.

I will mention only two matches worthy of note, the first one when Rich and I got pasted 6DN in the opening better ball by Ian (the champion golfer of the Buda) Dickson with a fine gross 73 and a certain erratic unnamed GB&I player who threw an even better, albeit statistically improbable, net 60 at us.  A good fun match.  The second match, mentioned in dispatches, involved Ian and Mark Pierce, where Mark was heard loudly whingeing about losing 6DN (??) despite shooting a gross 76 in alternate shot.  You gotta watch out for those old guys.

And, lest I forget, Lundin Links has the finest bunker sand I have ever had the privilege of playing.  Mined from what is now the parking lot, I believe Ian said.  Just perfect granularity and compaction. 

Some pictures,

Conrad and Ian looking satisfied with their second shots to the difficult 18th, Conrad for a 3, net 2.  Rich left holding the flag in face of an onslaught of fine golf.

A view of perfection

A view of Lundin Links from the 14th tee

One ass picture - Bill McBride at the 1st at Lundin Links.

And some more random pictures of some of the found-ins, with pictorial proof that the sun does shine in Scotland, although perhaps only between squalls and gales.  ;)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #112 on: June 20, 2008, 11:02:26 AM »
Tom,

Fantastic! I shall keep my eyes and ears open.

And it would we wonderful to have some overseas participation in the events here as well. 

People wonder what's "right" about this website?

Attend one of these events and ye shall never wonder again.

TH

Great point, Brother Huckaby.  I didn't hear anybody musing about Merion and its provenance, but everybody somehow still had a great time....... ;)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #113 on: June 20, 2008, 11:16:30 AM »
Bryan,

Great photos.  For the record Ian and I birdied 18 to reduce the deficit to 5 down to Stan Dodd and Jerry McElroy, who played very fine golf indeed for a 74 net 65.  As for Conrad's net 60, I'm embarrassed to call a bandit like that my friend!

Philip Gawith

« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2008, 03:00:48 AM »

[/quote]

Great point, Brother Huckaby.  I didn't hear anybody musing about Merion and its provenance, but everybody somehow still had a great time....... ;)
[/quote]

Bill - that's because I was busy taking Wayne (and his brother!) around Huntercombe! Yep, one of the Philly boys in shock visit to UK shores! I hope we can tempt him back from his sabbatical to describe his impressions - should be well worth hearing.

Sorry to miss Buda - sounds like a great time was had - no surprise there!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2008, 03:25:44 PM »
Bryan - thanks. But if those were the kind of scores you boys were shooting, I should come to the next Buda only as the Court Jester, or maybe the Designated Bartender....you boys can choose. 

FYI - I mix a terrific scotch and water, but it's the only drink I know....Actually, that's THREE drinks, i.e. scotch, water, and scotch and water

Peter

« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 03:39:27 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2008, 06:30:29 PM »
Here's a few photos of some of the lads finishing the afternoon round at Elie.....sorry for those I missed.

Michael Whitaker, Lloyd Cole, North American Captain Mark Bourgeois, and Lloyd's manager, Derek.

Nick Leefe, GB&I Captain Andrew Mitchell, Joe Fairey and Captain Emeritus Rich Goodale.  I think Rich was still on the North America team at this point.

Bryan Izatt, Peter from Littlestone, Mark Pearce, and Fred Ulmer.

Stan Dodd, Martin Bonnar, Jerry from Canada, and Joe Buehler from Pensacola.

And the highlight of the day at Elie - the University of California/Berkeley women's golf team.  Go Bears!  ;D  This is just three of the girls, with coach Nancy McDaniel on the right.  They were touring Scotland; three of the Cal girls played in the British Women's Amateur at North Berwick, with one young lady from Scotland making the semis.  Great girls who enjoyed sharing a pint or two with a few of the more brash young GCAers at the end of the day!

« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 06:34:56 PM by Bill_McBride »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #117 on: June 22, 2008, 04:37:30 AM »
Bryan Izatt, Peter from Littlestone, Mark Pearce, and Fred Ulmer.

Well done Mark, I hope you had sunscreen on those knees.   I bet the girls can't wait to take that fashion tip home to California.  I can see it now, the next big Holywood blockbuster, "Sox in the City".
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 05:17:29 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Craig Disher

« Reply #118 on: June 22, 2008, 09:53:43 AM »
Proof that the weight of the camera has no impact on the quality of the photo.

The merging of the 1st and 18th fairways.

Approaching the 1st green.

The wonderful short 2nd. A perfect little plateau is on the right of the fairway just short of the streams. The drives tended to finish on the right and it's not the best angle.

Negotiating the burns as we approach the 2nd green.

The 3rd - the line is the hut or just left of it but it's much more comforting to aim for some ground that you can see.

The well protected and small 3rd green.

The coast, clubhouse and first 3 holes viewed from the 4th tee.

Continuing down the coast, the long 4th hole. The left half of the fairway nearest the coast is flat and will give a good run; the right, safer half is crumpled and can eat a good drive.

Approaching the 4th green. The stream fronting the green is cause for a laying up, especially in a brisk breeze.

At the end of the course, we turn right and encounter the short 5th, barely 120 yards but with a serious front to back tilt.

And turning back towards the clubhouse, a blind drive for the 6th; plenty of space on the left but the right side is the place to be.

The approach from the left to the 6th.

The approach to the short 7th; a stream runs in front of the long, narrow green.

The 7th green from right rear.

The 8th, o/b right, bunkers left and a stream diagonally fronting the green. As with 6, the closer to the right side, the easier the approach.

From the left of the 8th fairway.

Turning away from the clubhouse, the par 5, 9th.

The 9th from about 150 yards

The 9th green from about 100 yards.

The 10th. A lot going on here. There's plenty of space to the right of the center-line bunker but the best line is the blind one directly at the green which is to the left of the largest bush in the foreground. From there, the approach is also blind.

The approach from the left...

and from the right.

Reversing direction again, the 11th.

Up the hill to the par 3 12th.

And reversing direction again, going along the high, north side of the course; the par 5 13th.

The approach to the green is through a gap in a tree line.

Turning left to the par 3 14th, into the prevailing wind.

And a view of almost the entire course from the 14th tee.

Now, heading back to the clubhouse. After a blind tee shot, the approach to the 15th. Some well-hidden bunkers cross the fairway

The tee shot on the short 16th. A stream crosses the fairway diagonally from left to right; bunkers are short of the stream on the right. Stronger players play directly left of the large mound and drive level with the green. Those weakened from carrying a lead-weighted camera can aim for a flat area short of the mound and have a blind pitch to the green.

Another blind tee shot to the 17th.

The 17th green, much wilder than it looks from here.

Home at last. The 18th. There is more room than you know what to do with off the tee but the approach narrows.

Approaching the 18th green with the comfortable clubhouse, filled with eager Budapests, just to the back.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #119 on: June 22, 2008, 10:11:48 AM »
Great pictures, Craig.  Thanks.

Just to add one thing--according to the locals you can see all 18 tees and all 18 greens from the 14th tee, and that's why it is called "Perfection."

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #120 on: June 23, 2008, 05:27:41 PM »
Craig - Thank you for taking the time during your round to take these pictures. They are a wonderful chronicle of the course that will help us remember each hole during our discussions. I had already forgotten about the blind teeshot on 17!!!

I agree with you that #2 is a fantastic little hole... there are so many ways it can be played... short off the tee, long off the tee, left approach, right approach, you name it... great fun!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Stan Dodd

« Reply #121 on: June 23, 2008, 06:14:51 PM »
Just back this a.m. and I can say that the Buda was a great event.  The craic was first rate and in between some great golf.  I will be back if at all possible.
to Rich , Mark and Andrew thank you, job well done.
The dinner was great fun (did we drink all the wine at The Crusoe if not it was a great try).
To the mebers at Lundy thak you for opening your club to us.
And Cheers to Ran for making this great fellowship possible.

Super event!

My post Buda included Royal Aberdeen, Murcar and a wee gem at Duff House Royal( 18 Great Mackenzie greens) and under the radar Panmure.  Pictures coming.

David_Tepper

« Reply #122 on: June 23, 2008, 06:40:53 PM »
Stan Dodd -

I am looking forward to your post on Duff House Royal. For some reason, probably the Mackenzie heritage, that course has interested me for a number of years, but I have yet to play it. It is a little too far from Dornoch for a day trip, but I do want to play it this summer or next.

I look forward to seeing some pictures.

DT

Bill_McBride

« Reply #123 on: June 23, 2008, 07:37:20 PM »
Stan Dodd -

I am looking forward to your post on Duff House Royal. For some reason, probably the Mackenzie heritage, that course has interested me for a number of years, but I have yet to play it. It is a little too far from Dornoch for a day trip, but I do want to play it this summer or next.

I look forward to seeing some pictures.

DT

Wondering if Duff House Royal was designed by Alister Mackenzie, or if the greens are "Mackenzie" greens, which is what every green with multiple tiers or wild slopes is called in the UK.....did the good doctor do work in that part of the world?

David_Tepper

« Reply #124 on: June 23, 2008, 08:01:40 PM »
Bill McBride -

I have always believed Duff House Royal was a bona-fide Mackenzie design. My 1994 copy of The Sunday Telegraph Golf Course Guide To Britain & Ireland lists Duff House Royal as "designed by Dr. A. and Major C.A. Mackenzie."

Another curious thing about Duff House Royal is that I believe it is the only "Royal" course where Royal is placed at the end of the course's name rather than the beginning. You would expect the course to be known as Royal Duff House, but it is not. I have no idea why.

www.theduffhouseroyalgolfclub.co.uk

DT
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 08:04:34 PM by David_Tepper »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back