News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Cirba

When I was a 13 year old kid just starting the game in 1971, we played at a ramshackle old farm in northeastern PA that had been converted by the owner into a pretty cool, if shortish golf course.   I've told the story here prior how my dad would drop us off before work and how we'd go round and round all day long, til he joined us afterwards, often ending up playing dawn til dusk.   The cost of a membership for the year was a whopping $35.

Sometimes as we'd need a break between rounds, we'd pop into the converted shed that served as the clubhouse for Stewart Sandwiches,  (if you don't know what they were, it's the culinary equivalent loss of going through the 60s and somehow missing The Beatles and Muhammed Ali) served with requisite chips, pickle spear, and a Coke on the side.

There was a pile of magazines in the corner, and one day I picked up what I believe was a "Sports Illustrated" magazine, that had an article in preview of the US Open of that year titled, "The Ghosts of Merion".   The article chronicled various holes at Merion, with overlays of faded pictures of famous golfers who had met either glory or tragedy on each hole, and as a kid of 13 just learning the game, and just becoming aware of what a golf course could be,  I was instantly fascinated, and fell deeply in love.

Some here might think I'm a bit daft and overly sentimental for my passion regarding the history of Merion and from a distance, they're likely right.   However, it is what it is and as the dust settles from the past few weeks, I feel pretty good about the fact that Hugh Wilson's role in the creation of Merion still stands tall, and has even probably been elevated.   With the amount of research a number of us have done over the past 10 months related to the early history of Philadelphia golf, which includes much more than just Merion, it's clear to all of us that his reputation is well-earned and justified.

That being said, that is not the purpose of this thread.

Yesterday, it occurred to me how much I'd love to find that old article.   In my fading memory, I thought it had appeared in Sports Illustrated, but during an EBay search yesterday I didn't find anything seemingly related.   That got me thinking that it could possibly have been a different publication...possibly Golf World, or something like that.

If anyone knows anything about the article in question, I'd love to hear from you.   I'd also be willing to pay a reasonable collector's fee for a copy.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide in locating this article....

Mike
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 02:56:01 PM by MikeCirba »

Neil Regan

Re: "The Ghosts of Merion" article
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 11:36:34 AM »
Mike,

You must be groggy.   :) Here is the article, and an eBay listing if you can spare $0.99

SPORTS ILLUSTRATED June14 71 Canonero Bahamas500 MERION Item number: 360056373305

©Sports Illustrated
http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/edb/reader.html?magID=SI&issueDate=19710614&mode=reader_vault

« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 11:39:18 AM by Neil Regan »
Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 11:39:29 AM »
Neil,

You are truly the man!  ;D

I saw that cover but thought by the date that it was post-coverage, not preview.

Thank you very much!!

Best Regards,
Mike

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 12:47:59 PM »
Neil,

A copy is now on the way.    ;D

Thanks again for helping me reclaim distant fond memories!   
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 01:01:22 PM by MikeCirba »

Neil Regan

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 01:59:23 PM »
Mike,

Maybe this article will inspire you to take an interest in Merion's history. Maybe do some research.

Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

Ray Cross

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 02:25:24 PM »
Did you see the writer of the piece was Dan Jenkins; Semi-Tough and all. One of the very best writers SI ever had.

Ray

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 02:32:38 PM »
Neil,

Now there's an idea I believe I'll take you up on!  ;)  ;D

Ray,

So good to hear from you!   

Dan Jenkins had quite the affinity for Merion, as you know, and when he put together his Greatest 18 holes in the United States for SI back when, he selected 2 holes from Merion, the 1st and 11th.   

Wayne_Kozun

Interesting quote from Lloyd Mangrum:
Even before '50 I'd always heard of Merion, Bobby Jones and all that.  But all I did was hit a bunch of three-irons off the tee.  What's so great about a golf course that keeps a three-iron in your hand off the tee.
It seems like PGA tour pros haven't changed too much in 35 years.

Mike_Cirba

One thing that's interesting looking at those pictures from 1971 is to contrast them to those posted recently by Sean Arble, particularly the view of the bunker on the 12th.   It's obvious that today's bunker has much more in the way of a thick, steep grass face, and arguably, they are more challenging, as well.   However, from an aesthetic point of view, some of us much preferred the weathered, inconsistent look of the old bunkers, as well as their variable playability.

I point this out simply to show those folks who may have wondered what all the fuss was about a few years back here exactly some of the differences that were being discussed.   I trust we won't use this as  an oppotunity to debate this again as it's very old news and what's done is done, but simply for edification on how sometimes things get done in architecture, and some of the nuanced differences in techniques and results some of us are very passionate about.

RJ_Daley

While Jenkins had a focus on the player "ghosts of Merion", it seems to me the most
haunting and lingering ghosts were completely overlooked in the article.  Or, could the most important
mention of the real ghosts actually been explained by Jenkins, only to have been left on the cutting room floor by
the SI Editor? 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back