News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Mosely

New York Country Club?
« on: May 30, 2008, 07:52:29 PM »
I'll be in NYC next weekend and a friend said lets go play "New York Country Club."

I never knew there was a "New York Country Club?"

The website doesn't say much and doesn't discuss the designer at all...

www.nycountryclub.com

good thing there's whole sections on the grill room and the terrace...

Anyway, who designed this place?  What's it like? 

David Stamm

Re: New York Country Club?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 07:54:33 PM »
Courtesy of golflink:

"The 18-hole "New York" course at the New York Country Club facility in Spring Valley, New York features 6,555 yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 72. The course rating is 71.5 and it has a slope rating of 129.  Designed by Stephen Kay, ASGCA, the New York golf course opened in 1998."
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Mike Mosely

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 08:04:15 PM »
An earlier thread said it was geoff gosling?  and that re-did it?  I hear they have 19 holes?

Joe Bentham

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 08:09:41 PM »
Stephen Kay is of Links of North Dakota fame...

Tom Dunne

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 08:56:10 PM »
The marketing copy on the home page is awesome. It's going straight into my files.

"In 1774, Dutch settlers made New Hempstead their home and history was made. Even then, a place called New Amsterdam, now known as New York City, was not too far to travel to. History was written again in 1996 as New York Country Club opened its gates in these historic hills. Now in its 10th year, New York Country Club has become a hidden jewel in the tree-lined hills of Rockland County, a place that many golfers have tried to keep secret for many years."

After all, not much happened in New York between 1774 and 1996. And if you want to write some history, you definitely want to choose some historic hills that are not in New Amsterdam (now known as New York, FYI) and also avoid newly-formed hills where nothing has ever happened. 

When you've succeeded in this mission, the next thing you do is build a website to point out that the club is a secret, and has been so for many years (i.e., ten years, or, if you prefer, ten years two years ago).

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 10:40:48 AM »
Kay's work was a revision of an existing course, which itself was a revision of an existing course, with roots that go pretty far back.   I've got the info somewhere, but I haven't heard enough exciting from anyone to make me want to go back and dig it out.   Gut feel is that it's a tough property.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 01:29:15 PM »
Mike M:

The course in question has operated under different names over the years. Stephen Kay, however, did do a major revision to what was there previously and for the most part the finished product is quite OK even though the severity of the land in a number of areas is quite severe (most notably the 9th hole !).

The course is now own by an Asian group under the new name of NYCC. Like I said it's a decent layout but it's certainly not a must play for anyon living outside a 75 miles radium of NYC.

Mike Mosely

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 12:43:09 PM »
thanks everyone, that's exactly what I needed to know.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back