News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

Fat Bald and Drinking in New York City
« on: May 29, 2008, 07:04:54 AM »
Martin Bonnar made his NYC appearance on the FatBaldyDrummer East Coast Tour last night. We appreciate all Euros being spent here to prop up the economy and housing market! Topics included:

1. Pine Valley's ranking on the FBD list awfully close to his beloved Cypress Point Club.

2. The Merion Saga.

3. George Bush

4. Redanman.com

5. Sweeney using the exchange rate as another excuse to not get to The Old Course

It was good to see old friends, and I only wish golf was included.

Paul Turner, Bill and Rene Vostinak, Martin and Nancy Bonnar

Mark Chalfant made a later appearance.

Phil_the_Author

Re: Fat Bald and Drinking in New York City
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 07:12:57 AM »
Martin,

You're as fat and bald as I remember you, which is puzzling to me, for how could so LITTLE hair turn SO VERY GREY! One would have thought the rest would have jumped off the sinking ship by now!

Seriously, hope you're enjoying yourself! Remember me to Jerry the Fireman.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 08:10:34 AM »
Mike,
Were Bill and Martin "Separated At Birth" ?
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Kirk Gill

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 02:53:52 PM »
Mr. Bonnar, with all due respect, you are not fat.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

SPDB

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 04:49:58 PM »

It was good to see old friends, and I only wish golf was included.

I only wish I was included! I still owe FBD for the pint at Balbirnie Park!
 :'(

Brian Phillips

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 01:53:18 AM »
Kirk,

With all due respect....yes he is...
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Rich Goodale

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 11:12:22 AM »
Brian is right.  Every time Martin leaves Fife the sea level drops by a few centimeters.  Along with Donald Trump's hair's salubrious effect on wind currents he is the best counter to the dangers of global warming that we know of over here.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 12:35:32 PM »
Forgettabout Martin, I'm just delighted to see Paul Turner out and about, loitering with intent!   redanman's looking pretty good as well.

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 02:49:24 PM »
Not only does Marty look like Bill's long lost undergrown brother, there is a bit of a resemblance between Rene and La Nancy, don't you think?  I once knew a situation where two brothers married two sisters.  And their kids were all like double cousins...

Does Marty travel with that wine goblet that seems to appear in every photo of him?  ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 04:21:43 PM »
Very cool to meet up with some old mates and meet FBD (and his wife Nancy) at last.  Perfect sunny evening in NYC too.

Mike and Shivas....our trip Sand Hills seems a long time ago!
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 04:37:03 PM »
Forgettabout Martin, I'm just delighted to see Paul Turner out and about, loitering with intent!   redanman's looking pretty good as well.

Paul, when will we see you at another Buda Cup?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 05:09:44 PM »
Did the baldy drummer forget to bring his laptop with him?  I'm surprised no commentary from the legend himself.   ;D

Perhaps he's been a bit too liberal with the drink and can't keep the keys still on his keyboard long enough to make a post.

mike_malone

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 08:30:25 PM »
 Last FBD sighting was on #17 at Rolling Green with Redanman and their wives.
AKA Mayday

Paul_Turner

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 12:19:08 PM »

Bill

Not for a while unfortunately...I have a grand total of 12 days vacation a year!

Our tied game with your bro' at Painswick was very memorable (a better course for matchplay would be hard to find, I reckon).
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 12:50:11 PM »

Bill

Not for a while unfortunately...I have a grand total of 12 days vacation a year!

Our tied game with your bro' at Painswick was very memorable (a better course for matchplay would be hard to find, I reckon).
Quite memorable for me too, as fun a match as I've ever played.  His birdies at 17 and 18 were bolts from the blue!

Perhaps you could join the merry crew at the Dixie Cup Oct 18-19 just north of Tampa at World Woods.  That's a Saturday/Sunday event so no vacation days involved.  ;D  Bring that NAFFER fellow along!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2008, 09:58:29 AM »
Hardeehardeehar, you shower of reprobates.

Well, we are back in the auld sod (about 4 hours now!) despite Continental's best attempts at scuppering what had been the smoothest of trans-atlantic trips.

First, thanks to the V's for outstanding hospitality (and unending supplies of Merlot, Tanqueray and Bruichladdich). Cheers, Big Bruv, see ya soon.

Thanks also to our PV host who I shall refrain from naming. He knows who he is! What a magnificent place to be a member of. Mind-bogglingly difficult, eye-wateringly beatiful in the flesh and wonderfully welcoming. Just a great, great place to play golf. I have tried to compare it with CP, but have failed totally, choosing eventually to simply place them both at the top of their respective trees.

As a mad exercise, trying to identify the 'WORST' hole at PV (can there be such a thing?), I could only come up with the trees to the left of 12 which should not only be utterly cryit doon, but utterly choppit doon! Doing so, in my opinion, would quickly return it to its former magnificence.

Thanks to Mayday for RG too. Fiendishly difficult greens some of which may be verging on 'impossible'? Thoughts, Mike? Lovely place though and another great experience.

Thanks also to the 'Aronimink Gang'. Too many to name, suffice to say a very splendid evening of fun and architectural discussion lubricated with some fine Vin Rouge ensued. Special thanks to Dan for hosting.

Amongst the golf and associated frivolity, trips to NY, Philly and Wash were also on the agenda. Obvious highlights: Empire State, Chrysler, Guggenheim (despite thursday closure and Scaffolding!!!), FDR memorial in Wash which I just thought was some of the finest landscape architectural design I have ever seen. GO SEE IT!, Fallingwater, which exceeded my 30 year wait expectations by miles..GO SEE IT! and the entire Mall Site in Wash which as a piece of Urban design is wonderful in concept and ALSO contains those impossibly fantastic museums. GO SEE IT!!!

Two weeks passed in a blur. Great meeting with so many GCAers. I'll try to post some pics later if there's anything worthwhile in the camera.

Phew!

cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 10:05:07 AM »
FBD,

How many ProV's had Bill scoured from the woods for ya? Did Continental charge you an excess baggage fee for them?

Glad you had a good time, one and all.....

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Bill Gayne

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 10:22:18 AM »
The title of this thread reminds of the classic line in Animal House.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK-Dqj4fHmM

RJ_Daley

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 04:18:10 PM »
Ah Will Gayne,

Aye resint tha' thrrree carictchurs' a' ma neffers Martie; ee' isnaugh all tha fat!  :o ::) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dan Boerger

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 01:38:08 PM »
Martin - Pleasure to meet you and all the other faces behind the names. Glad you enjoyed your visit ... you just saw more of the northeast than most Yanks! My only advice would be to allow for more golf on your next trip over.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back