News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Stephens

Celtic Manor Twenty Ten Course - a missed opportunity?
« on: May 29, 2008, 03:24:39 AM »
Please find the shortcut link to the European Tour website hole to hole guide to the Twenty Ten Course at the Celtic Manor - the venue for the Wales Open this week.

http://www.europeantour.com/default.sps?pagegid=%7BAEFB93B0%2DEFF5%2D4C05%2DAB0F%2DFD08D947D944%7D&eventid=2008044&infosid=29

Padraig Harrington said it was a good preparation for a US Open. Surely that means it is not designed for matchplay where there are more options - risk and rewards?

Having looked at the course guide - it seems to be one dimensional 'modern' American style course similar to Valhalla.

The most exciting matchplay courses tend to be the older courses and in my opinion this is a missed opportunity to create a course designed for matchplay in the 21st century.

I would welcome opinions on this topic

Regards

Ben

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Celtic Manor Twenty Ten Course - a missed opportunity?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 04:29:30 AM »
Who did the design work on this?... I can't recall...

One thing I will say is that it is a missed opportunity for naming the course...

Twenty Ten is only one step better than Trump International

Ben Stephens

Re: Celtic Manor Twenty Ten Course - a missed opportunity?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 04:49:48 AM »
Ally,

Ross McMurray of European Golf Design was the lead designer.

The Robert Trent Jones II designed Wentwood Hills holes retained/modified are 6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,15. The remainder are completely new holes by EGD.

I know that the same shaper who initially constructed the Wentwood Hills was retained to shape the new holes.

Ben

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back