News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re: Dangerous Animals-Rules-OT
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2008, 09:11:48 AM »
With this particular situation and in the context of the Rules of Golf it can get extremely complicated if you have a regular tournament better-ball partner as I used to have, who any reasonable mind could consider a "dangerous animal."

There was a time in a tournament in Florida when he actually assassinated his hat!

JohnV

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2008, 10:37:48 AM »
Only one player has to hit a shot to then halve the hole.  It has to be started.  If they decided to halve it before anyone hit they would not be playing the stipulated round.  If they went to another area and teed off, they'd be ok if they didn't discuss it (Agreement to waive the rules.)

So, either A concedes to B and hopefully B concedes to A on the next hole (no shots required for this as you can concede a hole at anytime prior to the start or conclusion of the hole)  or they both tee off outside the teeing ground and neither one recalls the the shot with nothing being said that constitutes and agreement to waive Rule 11.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2008, 07:51:45 PM »
   A couple of years ago I was at a match play tournament at Portland (OR) GC. At the par 3 17th in a competitive match , one player had teed off when a giant swarm of bees invaded the tee box. They did not move away for a long time. Other matches were waved through, using a closer tee box.
   This match stayed there for a long time because of the state of the match and the quality of the first shot. They eventually finished and did not hold up the competition.
   Next day the superintendent told us they were honey bees.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2008, 12:09:12 AM »
Herbivores, schmerbivores. I believe they kill people every year in Africa than any other animal.

Yes, but at least after they kill you they don't eat you! ;)

Back to the dangerous animals, the only time I encountered a really dangerous animal on a course (I don't count bees, wasps, etc. though I suppose those who are allergic might) was in Florida many years ago.  I hit a ball way the hell offline and saw it sitting over by a swampy area.  Walked over to it and a sleepy looking gator came out moving at an angle towards me.  I turned right around, dropped another ball in the rough next to the fairway and played on.

A friend of mine came within 30 feet of a black bear in Colorado, he later found out it was known to the people at the course as one that stops by from time to time looking for leftovers.  They had it captured and relocated once but it came back so they just sorta ignore it since it never comes too close to people but would happily consume whatever they left for it.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2008, 08:49:53 AM »
Playing a casual round at Furry Creek  :o north of Vancouver, my foursome came upon a black bear on the back tee of the par 4 farthest from the clubhouse (#14?).  We played from the red tee.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2008, 02:49:01 PM »
Playing a casual round at Furry Creek  :o north of Vancouver, my foursome came upon a black bear on the back tee of the par 4 farthest from the clubhouse (#14?).  We played from the red tee.

Why the hell were you playing Fuzzy Bunny, I mean Poofy Cloud, I mean Lost Goose...

Bill_McBride

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2008, 05:24:01 PM »

Why the hell were you playing Fuzzy Bunny, I mean Poofy Cloud, I mean Lost Goose...

It was at a gathering of college fraternity brothers and I had nothing to do with the booking.  I had never heard of Furry Creek or would have been adamant about a change of venue. 

The bear was the highlight of the round.

The next day I played Capilano, which immediately vaulted into my Top 10.

[Side note - not long after this I joined Columbia-Edgewater in Portland as a non-resident member.  CECC has a reciprocal with another Vernon Macan club, Marine Drive in Vancouver.  We probably could have played there instead of Fuzzy Bunny.]

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back