News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_beene

Dangerous Animals-Rules-OT
« on: May 28, 2008, 10:59:58 PM »
I believe there are free drop provisions for dangerous situations.A couple of weeks ago there was a mother alligator with seven babies on the tee of 15 at Whispering Pines.Do you tee in a safe place?If you know this hole there are tees spaced around the lake and only long grass next to each teeing area.

Bob_Huntley

Re: Dangerous Animals-Rules-OT
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 11:27:37 PM »
Mike,

At Chiliabombwe in Zambia you get free drops from Hippo footprints and a free drink in the bar if one of them gives chase to you.

Bob

Peter Wagner

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 11:29:42 PM »
Mike,

See Rule 1-4/10 'Dangerous Situation'.

It says to drop a ball no nearer the hole but away from the danger.  I would think you would be allowed your original lie which would allow for the use of a tee.  But 1-4/10 doesn't mention a teeing area Dangerous Situation.

- Peter

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 11:30:15 PM »
Maybe a few animals on every course is the answer to the pace of play problem...

Wayne_Freedman

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 11:34:02 PM »
Most clubs have local rules.
If your partner objects, shoot him, and then mount him above your fireplace as fair warning.   

mike_beene

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 11:35:05 PM »
Bob,does the hippo get the drink if he catches you? I will confess that I sized up my playing partners and determined I could out run at least two of them,which seemed sufficient.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 12:54:42 AM »
No, the hippo gets a free meal if he catches you ;)  Which he will if he wants because they can easily run down any man over a short distance.

PS I know they are herbivores, don't spoil the joke!
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Steve Kline

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 06:28:36 AM »
Herbivores, schmerbivores. I believe they kill people every year in Africa than any other animal.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 07:19:22 AM »
What was my Post a few months ago “Land Fit for Purpose” now are you telling me that a mother alligator with seven babies on the any tee is good for your game, let alone golf? ??? ;D ???

Mike - Only one Rule applies - Survival :o :o :o 8)

I love the comment ‘Do you tee in a safe place? If you know this hole there are tees spaced around the lake and only long grass next to each teeing area’. Long grass, lake, I wonder what might be hiding in there, Dig Daddy Alligator with a few of his brothers.  Mike, you into Death Wish? :-\ :-\ :P

A real Golfer, I just love it “Do I tee in a safe place?” – Great, just great a Real Crocodile Dundee. :D ;D ;) :D ;D ;)

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 08:09:38 AM »
Melvyn,

On courses with alligators and hippos lurking by tees and in fairways, would you allow motorized carts, very fast motorized carts, as an exception to the "Morrow Rule?"

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 11:33:51 AM »
No No No No No No No No No No NO NO NO NO NO NO
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

In answer to your question Philip I think the answer must
be NO - No Carts.

JohnV

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 11:39:46 AM »
Mike,

It says to drop a ball no nearer the hole but away from the danger.  I would think you would be allowed your original lie which would allow for the use of a tee.  But 1-4/10 doesn't mention a teeing area Dangerous Situation.

- Peter

Peter,  It doesn't mention the putting green either.  We had a copperhead on the green at a Futures Tour event in Texas once.

I would use equity and say that you can tee it on the teeing ground (if there was a safe area) or place it on the putting green.

I think I would suspend play if a gator was on the tee.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 11:45:32 AM »
Herbivores, schmerbivores. I believe they kill people every year in Africa than any other animal.

If you said quadrupeds or bipeds that is true, but more people die from bee stings than any other critter.

Of course the lingering effect of a mosquito bite giving rise to malaria, is greater still.

Bob

tlavin

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 11:53:19 AM »
I know the younger guys on this site are always wary of being pursued by cougars, even on the golf course.  Maybe some of you can give us some Cougars on the Course Self-Defense lessons...

Peter Wagner

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 11:54:55 AM »
Mike,

- Peter

Peter,  It doesn't mention the putting green either.  We had a copperhead on the green at a Futures Tour event in Texas once.

I would use equity and say that you can tee it on the teeing ground (if there was a safe area) or place it on the putting green.

Hi JVB,
I was hoping you'd chime in on this.  In the above gator example, let's say all teeing areas were deemed dangerous, would it be a rules violation to use a tee in a non-teeing area.  1-4/10 is silent on this type of thing.  Would this fall under Equity?  I know you could drop no closer to the hole but could you tee it and still be within the rules?
- Peter
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 12:06:44 PM by Peter Wagner »

Dan Kelly

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 12:02:12 PM »
I thought this was going to be another Merion thread.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Peter Wagner

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 12:05:46 PM »
I know the younger guys on this site are always wary of being pursued by cougars, even on the golf course.  Maybe some of you can give us some Cougars on the Course Self-Defense lessons...

Terry,
Great question.  Our younger members have been reporting increased urban cougar attacks as of late.  We have had some success by showing the cougar pictures of their young and having them notice the similarity of age with the intended prey.  WARNING: this does not always work and in some cases has increased the danger!

A few weeks ago some here were discussing Cougar Canyon CC.  One can only imagine what the Member-Guest would be like.  Major props to Cougar Canyon for the built-in warning in their name!
- Peter

Peter Wagner

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 12:33:38 PM »

Now let's pretend there are no officials around....

It's the local golf association district championship qualifying or something.  Some group with a guy whose score winds up qualifying runs into this situation and in equity tees off way off to the side, effectively taking a hazard out of play ...

They come in and tell you what happened and what they did?  Did they even play the same course as everybody else? 

Shivas,

I know you are on solid ground if you move away from the danger, but no nearer the hole, and drop.  If I were in a serious competition that's what I would do, either that or call for a ruling before I hit.  IMO, where it gets gray is if you use a tee.

- Peter

JohnV

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 03:58:49 PM »
Mike,

- Peter

Now let's pretend there are no officials around....

It's the local golf association district championship qualifying or something.  Some group with a guy whose score winds up qualifying runs into this situation and in equity tees off way off to the side, effectively taking a hazard out of play ...

They come in and tell you what happened and what they did?  Did they even play the same course as everybody else? 

DQ

JohnV

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 04:03:55 PM »
To amplify on my last response.

The player who comes across a gator on the tee would be totally justified in discontinuing play under Rule 6-8a(iv).  He should find someone from the Committee as soon as possible to explain why he discontinued play and they would surely approve his decision.

The Committee might decide to relocate the tee if they an find a similar, but safe area or they might suspend play or cancel the round.

If he decides, on his own to tee of from somewhere else and then tees off on the next hole, he would be DQ'ed for not teeing off in the designated teeing ground.

mike_beene

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 11:24:15 PM »
John,in match play could the competitors agree to tee elsewhere or agree to a half(good-good). Melvyn,I am not tough:gators and snakes scare me,but gators don't generally chase.I have heard Crocs are more aggressive. The caddies at Whispering Pines run through the tall grass. Not me.

PThomas

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 11:31:46 PM »
a super in Florida told me a few years ago they found a dead 17  :o foot alligator on the course one day
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Peter Wagner

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 02:19:14 AM »
John,in match play could the competitors agree to tee elsewhere or agree to a half(good-good). Melvyn,I am not tough:gators and snakes scare me,but gators don't generally chase.I have heard Crocs are more aggressive. The caddies at Whispering Pines run through the tall grass. Not me.

Mike,
No, you don't tee it away from the teeing ground even if gators be there.
You find a safe spot and drop it (no closer to the hole).

- Peter

Jason McNamara

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 02:28:46 AM »
John,in match play could the competitors agree to tee elsewhere or agree to a half(good-good).

I am pretty sure the second half of that is a DQ for both - agreeing not to play the stipulated round. 

What might be legal is player A conceding the Hippo Hole, then player B conceding the following hole (but being under no obligation to do so, and he could change his mind if he wanted to be a real jerk), but I will leave that to John.

Peter Wagner

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2008, 08:40:01 AM »
Jason,

In match play, if both players play at least one shot then they could call it 'good-good' under Rule 2-1/1.5.

So in the case of the gator tee box... they would drop in an area no closer to the hole, play one shot, and call the hole halved.

John is the expert but I believe that to be correct.

- Peter

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back