News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Bert

Tom - Great segue to #6. 

This whole thread probably would have never existed if you had published your book on time instead of continuing to build golf courses.  Consider this the interactive cliff notes version with my pictures instead of yours.

Tim Bert

#6 is a par 4.  An amazing par 4.
316 from the black tee
288 from the green tee (though on my visits it seems like this yardage has been a little closer to the black tee)

I'm going to let the pictures do most of the talking here.  The view from the tee is REALLY cool.  Another wide open fairway.  PLENTY of room to the left, which is exactly shere you don't want to be.  Before you commit to the open left side, take a really good, hard look at the giant bunker supporting the green.  Keep in mind that you are also approaching the green at its narrowest from that angle, and you've got an abrupt fall-off on the back side of the green. 

Amazingly, Alan Gard has pulled this very approach shot (from left and from WAY left) multiple times.  It seems like he can stick the green from anywhere.  Not possible with my game.

You definitely want to challenge the right as much as possible.  The bunkers on the right can come into play with a shot that is not struck perfectly, particularly with the cross wind.  A great tee shot can leave you with a bump-and-run up the hill with the full length of the green as your target.   

Remember to make a mental note of the green and the pin location as you are teeing off on #3 - you get a great preview from there.

As noted, I had trouble selecting my photos for this one, so you get plenty this evening...

Here's the view from the tee focusing on the field of play

Here's the wider view of the surrounds from the tee.  You can see the upper fairway for #9 in the top right corner of this photo.

And of course the view from the tee in the fog.  I wouldn't wish this one on the first time player!!  Fortunately, we had been around several times before we faced this challenge.

A couple views of the approach from the right side

A view of the looming bunker guarding the left side (also taken from the right side as I don't recall ever playing this hole from the left)

And that same view in the fog

The green is right behind this thing, I promise!

Standing on the edge to demonstrate the scale

The preview of the green from #3 tee

The green as viewed from the front right

The green from the drop-off behind

One of my personal favorites of the green in the fog

I will probably allow two good days of commentary here before proceeding with #7 unless everyone runs out of things to say.

Mike Benham

Tim -

From your experiences on the 6th, how do you play this hole?

Mike
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Pete_Pittock

Mike,
I only carry the ball about 190 so going over the right side bunker is a real challenge that I have to try. After that it is avoid the big bunker at all costs. The hole location of the day provides the proper strategy.
As for the rest of the guys I play with, just egg 'em on with trash.

John Kirk

Into the wind, tee the ball low and fade it over the right bunker, leaving a 50-90 yard shot straight into the length of the green.  I own this hole.

The Tommy Naccarato strategy would be as follows.  Aim tee shot anywhere.  Then purposely hit second shot into front left bunker, which ends all strategic considerations until the 7th tee.

Tim Bert

Tim -

From your experiences on the 6th, how do you play this hole?

Mike

Poorly?

Seriously, in my first 8 tries I had never made par on this hole.  I had almost always made bogey, with a couple worse scores mixed in as well.  I've never been left.  I've never been in that giant bunker.  I have been in the bunker on the right after a few mis-hits off the tee.  I have very frequently been off the back side of the green, which is really probably not a lot better than the giant bunker.  At least twice I have hit a shot from behind that has run back down to my feet due to poor execution.  On my 9th try, I skipped par all-together and made birdie, which was very satisfying.  I hit a spectacular drive and had a 50-75 yard bump shot up the hill.  I've still never made a par here.  The other guys in my group have all made plenty of pars.  It doesn't seem to matter if they approach from the left or the right.

To me, this hole plays much more difficult than the oft-complained about #14 at Bandon Trails.  I this one better than #14 at trails, but with the short distance, touch approach, and slim landing areas from the wrong angle I don't see why that one gets panned and this one gets praised.  I think they are both great holes.

Ari Techner

This is my favorite hole on the course and one of my favorite holes anywhere.  There are just so many options and so many different things can happen for such a short hole.  I have seen a first timer stripe his drive at the green, watch it bound up the hill and roll up to a foot for a tap in eagle.  The best part was his expression as he looked behind the green and his comment "Wow, if I would have known what was behind this green I would not have taken that line so confidently".  I have also seen a player who shot 6 under on the other 17 holes have to pick up because he simply could not get out of the short right bunker after placing his drive in there.  This hole is the perfect example of the great short par 4 hole that I love so much and I always get excited walking up the stairs from the 5th green to the 6th tee. 
The best play is anything down the right side over the bunker in the side of the dune.  The hole makes you want to hit it down the left but there is actually quite a bit of room to the right and that gives by far the best angle as long as you can get it over the bunker.  Into a strong wind this can be a challenge and the drive must be hit pure.  My favorite play is a drive over the bunker and then a bump and run 5 iron from 50- 75 yards up onto the green. 
Simply a great hole. 

Jason Topp

One of my favorites.  I think it is interesting to compare this one to the 14th on BT.  Both have small difficult greens.  This hole is superior because the advantage of a tee ball to the right is huge because of the shape of the green and the giant bunker on the left. Nonetheless, many big numbers on this hole.

George Freeman

Tim,

Do you have any photos from the right or right rear of the green showing the scale of the drop-off that awaits if you miss right/long?  I think this is the one thing missing from your photo essay of the sixth (otherwise it is fantastic!).  For someone who has never played the hole, if you miss your approach right (or long if you're coming in from the left side of the hole), you're ball will plummet down into a collection area.  Your next shot will be looking into a 15 foot wall of shaved fairway, with the pin on the skyline above, and absolute death if you miss long again (you know this because you saw it on you walk up to the hole in the first place).  This is one place you really don't want to be.  Don't give it enough , and the ball will be back at your feet; give it too much, and you'll be left with a harder shot than the one you currently face. 

Awesome hole (also a potential round buster)
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Tom Huckaby

Quite possibly the greatest short par four on earth.  It's spectacular on its own and it also fits perfectly into the context of the course as a whole.  The options in terms of ways to play it strategically are numerous, and the standard of execution required to have success is very high as well.  It's thrilling, maddening, challenging, awe-inspiring, all in one.

Yes this hole CAN be a round ruiner, but the really cool thing is it really never HAS to be... If one has the discipline and patience and can make the ego check to play it very conservatively, it can always be a very easy five.  Iron off tee, iron laid up short, putt on, two more putts after that.  The more daring one plays it, the higher the potential score can be... as well as the lower, of course.

It does have a nearby cousin in #14 Trails.  But 6 PD is a superior golf hole for one good reason, I think:  the green on each is very small, and a very tough target to hit from anywhere, but particularly from the wrong place (left side on PD, right side on BT).  But once ON the green, one has a fighting chance at PD, whereas the fun kinda just begins at BT.  Don't get me wrong - I am one of the few and proud who really likes #14 BT - I just find #6 PD to be superior.

For Charlie D - play it at least one more time and at least LOOK at the left side.  These pictures are fantastic, but as is the nature of all photography, they flatten things... the left bunker is a monster and a pitch from below it has to be among the most difficult and scariest pitches one can face in this game.  You did play it your one time the smart and skillful way... but methinks ignorance is bliss in your case.  Get down there on the left, and you'll know.  Miss the green to the right, you'll know more.  This is a truly GREAT golf hole.

TH

Phil McDade

Tim, Tom, and others:

This is probably the most-discussed hole among the 54 at Bandon, from what I can tell. I'm interested in distances from tees (let's say the green tees at @ 290 yds) to the two main features -- the yawning bunker left and the fairway bunker right. And how does prevailing winds (even in different seasons) come into play?

My own sense in how to play this hole, with my lousy 18-handicap game, would be to aim at the top of the large bunker left (at the two tallest trees back-left of the green) and fade a drive into the FW landing area, hoping to avoid fading too much into the right fairway bunker, and having the ball roll into a right-side position on the fairway for an approach shot where the green opens up.

Tom Huckaby

Phil:

It's most againstly but a little across from the left in summer; dead down-wind in winter.  Each wind presents its own challenges.  In winter it's easy to get frisky and think about driving it close to or on the green... but the penalties for failure are stiffer as no one wil be able to hold a down-wind pitch on that tiny green.  In summer the tee shot is tougher but the pitch is easier.  This again to me is part of the genius of the hole....

In any case this schematic can show you the distances more or less:

http://www.bandondunesgolf.com/pacific_hole6.cfm

The first right bunker is pretty close to the tee.  The proper play is really OVER that - as you see there's a lot of room between it and the next bunker.. and the angle from there is optimal.  Even the rough over there - which is pretty sparse - is way better than going left. 

So your plan to play it works great, I think!  Just don't miss left.  You will have no prayer going over that bunker.

Note one more thing - if one is to try to get close to the green, one has to challenge the gaping left bunker... it's kind of a hogback fairway up near the green, falling off on both sides...

TH

Phil McDade

Tom:

Thanks -- I'm really struck by how Doak and others really took into account prevailing winds, even at different times of the year, in their routing of the course, and incorporating varying design features into holes to account for them.

Tom Huckaby

Tom:

Thanks -- I'm really struck by how Doak and others really took into account prevailing winds, even at different times of the year, in their routing of the course, and incorporating varying design features into holes to account for them.

That is genius, isn't it?  Oh hell, maybe it's not Steve Pieracci's profession (rocket science) but I know I sure as hell would have a damn hard time figuring how to make a course work in a place like Bandon, with two very different prevailing winds.  Seems some sacrifices would always have to be made but I sure can't see any at PD.  Each hole seems to work great in each wind... 6 is just one great example.

TH

Kalen Braley

If we're going to speak of the hole in terms of "fairness" if there is such a thing I think this hole works just fine. Even if you play it very conservative, iron off the tee, layup out right of the green, short pitch to the green, its not a tough 5 at all. 

This really adds to the genius of the hole because if you get aggressive on eithe the tee or approach shot, the hole can be a round wrecker, but if you respect it and say no worse than a 5, this is very doable.

Like Phil, I'm just a lousy 18-capper as well, and while the hole was very demanding it didn't seem to be too difficult.

Tom Huckaby

Tom - I did take in the scale of the bunker left.  That is why I layed up with my wedge shot just short of the green.

Maybe it is the style of golf I play which tends to be conservatively play for pars on most holes (my friends all tell me how boring that is) but none of them seem to score as well.   ;)  Or maybe it was because that was when I was hitting it the poorest so I was focused on my swing at that moment.  (I think I mentioned this on another post I started regarding over and under-rated holes at Bandon).  Whatever it was I think my strategy on that hole would almost always be drive it over the right bunker, but try not to hit enough club to reach the trouble left or right and then play to the green.  If I got out of position I would try to play to the front of the green for either a good four or and easy five. If I hit my drive how I wanted to I would be more aggressive with the approach.

If I were playing the course with time to mess around I would love to spend about an hour or more just messing with all of the potential shots from about 75 yards and in you could have here.  I acknowledge the genius of the hole but from a competitive and scoring standpoint I am going to avoid/simplify it as best I can...

Charlie:  that all makes great sense, and I can understand that it does seem simple to you.  Yours is the best strategy, and like on darn near all golf holes, the best strategy does become very apparent relatively quickly if one is smart.  As I recall the gals in the Curtis Cup played it pretty much as you say.  But remember EXECUTION comes into this.  You still have to pull off the shots.  And that's more what I meant:l... let's talk after you unexpectedly pull a tee shot left, or miss the green to the right, and then the reality of what can happen really strikes you.  Ignorance is indeed bliss in this respect.  

But back to the strategic choices... have you played it in winter wind or with no wind or at any other time when driving the green becomes oh so very tempting?  I know, you play cautiously, so perhaps that would never enter into the equation for you.  But man when one is sitting on that tee, and the wind combined with firm conditions means that really in effect only a 240 or so yard shot means an easy two putt for a three and a fighting chance at a two - with a cautious play meaning even in the best of results a difficult down-wind pitch to a tiny target, well... that becomes tough to resist for many.  And then the fun really begins.

You did hit on another part also - the variety of shots around that green after imperfect shots is nearly infinite.

Re aesthetics, no way.  In fact I find it among the MOST beautiful.  And for Kalen's benefit, note the ocean is really nowhere in sight unless one looks backwards.

TH

Mike Benham

I love the idea of strategy on a golf hole but for the most part, don't you as a golfer, usually have only 1 way to play the hole that is best for your game?

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Kalen Braley

As for the approach shot into this green, what is the consensus of people in here if you have to pick a side to miss on. I don't think many will advocate missing left of short as they are both pretty much death.

I missed my approach just a hair short from the right side and it rolled a fair way back down the hill.

Missing long certainly didn't look as bad as missing short or left.  Is missing right pretty much the best place to miss because at least then you have the length of the green behind you for error?  Missing long with a winter wind seems to be the play because at least then you are chipping back up the hill into the wind.  Ditto for missing right in the summer wind.

Any stories from folks who either missed short in the massive bunker or long over the green?  How were the recoveries and what did you end up doing? I'd like to think if I got in that massive bunker left that I would just chip out sideways.

Tom Huckaby

I love the idea of strategy on a golf hole but for the most part, don't you as a golfer, usually have only 1 way to play the hole that is best for your game?

Damn right you do.  The hard part is having the discipline to do it...

But again, a cool part of this hole is that one way is going to change based on wind, how one feels, what score one needs, etc. - likely a lot more than damn near any other golf hole.

TH

Tom Huckaby

TH - Interesting that you find it to be one of the most beautiful...I suspected as much.  I thought it seems stark looking off the tee, but then when I saw Tim's picture I wasn't sure of my memory of the hole.

So far, I have only played in a winter wind.  At the time I wasn't thinking of hitting the green and in fact hit such a poor tee shot I was in the fairway bunker.  I would probably try to drive the green if possible and then take my medicine if I screwed up.  I think when I go in 10 days driving the green probably won't be an option...

I also agree about the execution aspect.  Believe me if I am much better at know how to play a hole than actually accomplishing it.  The three guys I am going to Bandon with do not frequent this site, so the first time through I am going to smile when they are all happy hitting their drives safely down the left side...

Love it!  Yep, let them see those acres of room to the left and play "safe."  The smile will be a wide one.

Summer wind the FIRST fairway bunker becomes problematic... thus changing the equation again....

TH

Jason Topp

Good question and the answer may be yes but this hole presents a contrast between what you want to do and what you should do which plays on the mind.   Also the answer as to what you should do downwind is not that obvious until you have played it a few times.

I played the hole downwind 3 times.  The first time, I tried to drive the green, wound up in the bunker left and made an 8.  The 2nd time, I tried to play right, hooked it left, chunked it in the bunker and made an 8.  The third time I finally convinced myself to hit it right but still made a 5.

Tim Pitner

Mike,

I'm not so sure--I think on a course like Pacific Dunes, the wind can dramatically change how you approach a hole. 

Downwind (I seem to have had that wind most of the time even though I've only been to Bandon in the June-September time frame), my preferred play on #6 is to drive the ball between the green and the far bunkers to the right, leaving a fairly flat chip or even a putt to the green.  I've birdied the hole a couple of times this way.  You may not have to hit driver because you don't want to go past the green, which will leave you with a more severe upslope for your 2nd.  Against the wind, you might want to play for a full wedge shot into the green.  You might even want to go quite a bit right, over by #8, to improve your angle. 

Kalen Braley

TH - Interesting that you find it to be one of the most beautiful...I suspected as much.  I thought it seems stark looking off the tee, but then when I saw Tim's picture I wasn't sure of my memory of the hole.

So far, I have only played in a winter wind.  At the time I wasn't thinking of hitting the green and in fact hit such a poor tee shot I was in the fairway bunker.  I would probably try to drive the green if possible and then take my medicine if I screwed up.  I think when I go in 10 days driving the green probably won't be an option...

I also agree about the execution aspect.  Believe me if I am much better at know how to play a hole than actually accomplishing it.  The three guys I am going to Bandon with do not frequent this site, so the first time through I am going to smile when they are all happy hitting their drives safely down the left side...

Love it!  Yep, let them see those acres of room to the left and play "safe."  The smile will be a wide one.

Summer wind the FIRST fairway bunker becomes problematic... thus changing the equation again....

TH

Man you guys are straight cruel.  Not even a word of advice?

Or is it because they are your friends you'll let them hang themselves.   ;D

John Kirk

Yes, and I generally play every hole exactly the same at Pacific Dunes.  However, number 6 offers some variety.  In the winter, if there's a significant south wind, I'll try to blast one at the green here.

Tom Huckaby

Kalen - oh I'd try to give advice - I always do.  My friends just don't listen, as I'd guess Charlie's don't.  Thus we smile knowingly and the I told you so's are sweet.

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back