News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

New Book on Old Tom Morris (now available)
« on: May 27, 2008, 04:21:23 AM »
The new book on Old Tom called ‘Tom Morris - The Colossus of Golf’ is now available, see web site http://www.rhodmcewan.com/tom_morris/index.htm

Only for the serious reader!

Phil_the_Author

Re: New Book on Old Tom Morris (now available)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 10:16:28 AM »
Wayne and Tom should take great comfort in seeing this in print as "Doc" Malcolm has been at work on the book for about 15 years...

I am glad to see it finally out in print.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 10:21:26 AM »
I pulled this from the interesting review...

Obvious sources like previous histories, club archives and contemporary magazines and journals are explored. So too are the more obscure family wills and registers, legal documents and submissions, shipping rosters and burgh records, to give understanding of context and relationships between events: the effect of the financial adventures of an early English professional in St Andrews on the establishment of Tom’s business; the importance of the Prestwick connection on the wider development of the Morris family fortune; Tommy’s unexpected and surprising choice of bride; the reclamation and embankment of the Swilken Burn and its importance in the evolution of the present layout of the Old Course.

Shipping rosters? Unexpected and surprising choice of bride?  What's the backstory on these topics?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 10:36:38 AM »
The BBGE will donate $40 for the purchase of one book that is then passed along the members of GCA given that noone makes photocopies of said book.  All we need is 20 more pledges and we have it done.  I would trust KBM to be the keeper of the book.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 10:51:13 AM »
I am informed that no mention is made of Merion

Kelly, To me Old Tom is more important than Leonardo De Vinci
and whats this, a poor course designer!!

For an extra $ 780 Guys I will aslo sign it for you - so increase that to $80 each but sorry it will not increase its value in any way, you will just have my signature - as I have no claim to fame.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 11:12:18 AM »
Without knowing the reasons for the price....it seems steep for revealing years of research. 

I'm sure it's great, and the author spent years of his life in making the book as accurate and thorough as possible.

Don't scholars try to make their work as accessible as possible?

I'll wait for the paperback...or the version that doesn't include a golden-headed hickory club... 

So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 02:05:18 PM »
Kelly

Gen G A Custer was alive when Old Tom & Young Tom won their Opens
Also course like Forfar, Lundin, Luffness, Leven &  Carnoustie were in play.

Makes you think!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back