News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Kelly

Beaned! (Another indictment of trees)
« on: May 26, 2008, 02:45:45 PM »
I'm home now, after a couple of hours in the emergency room.

The CAT scan says there's nothing interesting going on in my brain. (Sorry. Couldn't resist. But I'm awfully happy to be capable of even a musty old joke.)

I'm guessing, along with the ER doctor, that my hearing will return to normal. It seems to be improving marginally already -- though I still "hear" a little *boing* with each step I take, and people talking to me sound like they do when you talk underwater to someone. When it happened, I could hear almost nothing; you'd have had to lean into my ear and yell at me, if you wanted to be understood. I'm sure the giant goose-egg on my head will go back down.

So things are looking up.

It happened on the 5th hole at Braemar Golf Course in Edina, Minnesota, this morning. The 5th is a dogleg left, adjacent and to the right of the dogleg-left No. 15. The holes are "separated" by a bunch of fairly large deciduous trees, and a few evergreens -- put there, I'm guessing, in the interest of safety.

I hit a smothered-hook piece of crap drive into the left rough, in among the trees; tried to make too much of my 2nd and clipped a pine tree, which knocked my ball down into the rough; punched a hybrid out to the right and down the fairway, heard my partner yell "Well, you're out!" ... and then ... WHAM.

I looked at my hybrid, thinking that the head had flown off and conked me.

I could hear almost nothing -- but my three companions, 30 yards to the right, had heard the ball hit the back of my head (upper left), and they came to aid me.

Turned out, of course, that one of the group on 15 had pushed or sliced a shot into the trees -- and, presumably not seeing me, hadn't uttered even a peep of a FORE!

Those trees, I have just learned, are a hazard to health. If they weren't there, any golfer worthy of the name would have yelled FORE!; I would have covered up my head; and life would have gone on.

When the course manager calls to check in on me, he's going to get a lecture about those trees.

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Bill_McBride

Re: Beaned! (Another indictment of trees)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 02:51:58 PM »
Headline:  X-RAYS OF DEAN'S HEAD REVEAL NOTHING

That was when Dizzy Dean was hit in the back of the head by a throw at second base, I think maybe in an All-Star game.

Glad to hear you're okay.  I had a ball from the 5th tee at our club fly just inches over my head on the 6th tee.  That tee shot might have been 70 yards off line!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 03:12:52 PM by Bill_McBride »

Peter Wagner

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 03:11:01 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Dan,
Glad you're mostly alright!  Thought you might like to see some cool smiley faces to cheer you up!
- Peter
 ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Dan Kelly

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 03:24:01 PM »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Dan,
Glad you're mostly alright!  Thought you might like to see some cool smiley faces to cheer you up!
- Peter
 ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

!!!!!!!!!

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 03:31:16 PM »
Dan, I'm glad you're okay. Crikey! You're lucky to be alive!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 09:18:10 PM »
Dan:

Glad to hear that you are okay.  Now, I wish you would take this to court!

There are several courses for which we do consulting, where I cannot take certain trees down because they supposedly provide "protection" for golfers from errant shots.  If I take them down, I run the risk of being sued if someone is subsequently hit by an incoming shot.

If there were just one counter-example of someone WINNING a lawsuit because the trees blocked his view of an incoming shot, we'd be in the clear.

John_Conley

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 09:47:53 PM »
Dan, sorry you were donged.  I know Braemar well.  As a youth they had a punch card with 10 rounds for the princely sum of $35.  (I'm only 40, so yes...that was a GREAT deal.)

The problem with tree removal is then you have #5 as a straight hole sharing a fairway with the 15th!

I'm sure the trees are bigger now, but they needed something over there to make you play the 5th fairway.

I know a good player that used to play a number of wrong fairways at Braemar intentionally.  On 11 he would drive back on 10 to give an open SW approach.  5-to-15 was another tee shot.  Bring a hardhat!

Dan Kelly

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 10:19:53 PM »
The problem with tree removal is then you have #5 as a straight hole sharing a fairway with the 15th!

I'm sure the trees are bigger now, but they needed something over there to make you play the 5th fairway.

I know a good player that used to play a number of wrong fairways at Braemar intentionally.  On 11 he would drive back on 10 to give an open SW approach.  5-to-15 was another tee shot.  Bring a hardhat!

1. There is no reason that No. 5 has to be a dogleg left. Put the tee down to the right of the fourth green, instead of up to the left, and make it a straight hole. Take down the trees, so that people on both 5 and 15 can see the people on the adjoining hole.

2. I don't know if this is possible, but I suspect that it is: Make the 10th fairway OB for a shot from the 11th hole?

Dan Kelly

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 10:23:47 PM »
Dan:

Glad to hear that you are okay.  Now, I wish you would take this to court!

There are several courses for which we do consulting, where I cannot take certain trees down because they supposedly provide "protection" for golfers from errant shots.  If I take them down, I run the risk of being sued if someone is subsequently hit by an incoming shot.

If there were just one counter-example of someone WINNING a lawsuit because the trees blocked his view of an incoming shot, we'd be in the clear.

Tom --

I wish you every good fortune as you attempt to remove "protective" trees -- but I sincerely doubt that I'll be guy to bring that lawsuit. Not my style.

Of course, if they insult me when I make my suggestions about tree management ... you never know!

Dan

P.S. Just save my initial report, and present it to your clients -- with the sternest of warnings that MOST of the people playing THEIR courses are, as they probably already know, likely to be vastly less understanding than this Dan Kelly fellow.

John_Conley

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 10:27:30 PM »

1. There is no reason that No. 5 has to be a dogleg left. Put the tee down to the right of the fourth green, instead of up to the left, and make it a straight hole. Take down the trees, so that people on both 5 and 15 can see the people on the adjoining hole.

2. I don't know if this is possible, but I suspect that it is: Make the 10th fairway OB for a shot from the 11th hole?

Dan, yes you COULD do that.

First point - that loses the nice elevated tee and #5 would be a rather pedestrian straight par 4.

Second - you've just introduced the dreaded in-course O.B.  Arrgghh!  Braemar always had it on #9 so people couldn't go around the water.  A general rule is to keep in-course O.B. to a minimum.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 10:28:56 PM »
Dan, You may not be a sewer (  :o )

So write!
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 10:31:26 PM »
Dan,

What the hell are you doing worrying us like that?!   Man...I'm glad you're ok!   :o

I'm starting to think most of the old dead Scottish guys were right.   Off the top of my head right now I can't think of a single tree on a golf course that I'd preserve if given a choice.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 10:41:17 PM »
Glad you are (mostly) unharmed.

But do you really think that you can argue for the removal of these trees from a safety perspective?  Yes, in your case it made you less safe because they couldn't see you, but for every case where someone is hit because they couldn't see you to yell fore (keeping in mind that not everyone yells it, or yells it loud enough or soon enough for one to take action) there may be several cases where someone is saved (whether seen or not) by a tree deflecting or slowing the ball.

By arguing that "out of sight" means players are left in harm's way, it just encourages those who want to eliminate all blind shots in the name of safety.  There is a bit of danger one must assume when playing golf, moreso the closer one comes to another hole's line of play -- that's something always in the back of my mind, as I am often somewhat wild off the tee.

On my home course I'll occasionally hook the ball onto the edge of the driving range off the 10th tee.  The range not OB, and since the range balls are yellow I can usually find and play my ball.  Guys teeing off on the range never yell fore, you can take the risk or take the strokes.  I just move quickly to my ball and play without delay....maybe that's the secret weapon to discourage slow play ;)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

mike_beene

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 10:51:40 PM »
Tom, either way someone will sue,find an expert,etc. Injury law isn't about anything but extortion. File the suit and see if you can cause enough expense and or risk to make the defendant or their insurer blink and buy the product,ie settle the case.

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 12:31:27 AM »
Do you really think the course manager is going to call? >:(

Dan Kelly

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 08:47:07 AM »

Dan, yes you COULD do that.

First point - that loses the nice elevated tee and #5 would be a rather pedestrian straight par 4.

Second - you've just introduced the dreaded in-course O.B.  Arrgghh!  Braemar always had it on #9 so people couldn't go around the water.  A general rule is to keep in-course O.B. to a minimum.

John --

First point:  If you want an elevated tee (good for visibility) and an interesting tee shot, I do believe you could build that elevated tee down to the right of the 4th green (there's lots of unused ground there) and make No. 5 a dogleg right. In fact, there might be enough unused ground over there that you could make No. 5 a par-5, if you wanted -- and thereby take the 15th fairway entirely out of play for tee shots on 5. (The 5th fairway is already out of play for tee shots from 15, I think; at least I've never seen anyone hit it that far. It's the second -- and subsequent -- shots on 15 that are dangerous to players on 5, and I personally believe that those trees make those second and subsequent shots more dangerous rather than less.)

------------------------ Bonus: Building a new tee to the right, for No. 5, would give the course its second dogleg-right -- and better balance the course's tee-shot demands. (There's only one dogleg-right, and five dogleg-lefts.)

Second point: I dread hearing loss (and potentially worse) more than I dread in-course OB -- particularly when that in-course OB is designed to thwart young bombers who would PURPOSELY aim at oncoming players so as to have a more straightforward second shot on a short par-4.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 08:48:29 AM »
Do you really think the course manager is going to call? >:(

He already did! Last night, when we were at my sister's house for dinner.

When I call him back, I think I'll just refer him to this thread and ask that he think about the amendments I've just proposed to John Conley.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2008, 09:15:57 AM »
Dan

Sorry to read about your problems – Old Tom was right, you don’t need trees on a course.  8)

But enough of you, what about your three companions, you screwed up their day, did they finish the round, did it affect their score. Also what was the make of the ball, what club was used to get the ball to hit your head, did the guy use a range finder (because he seems to have hit the target) and what nationality was the guy who hit you.  ??? ??? ???

Is your wife OK and are the Kids getting over the shock and finally a very important question did you use a cart on your round today? >:( >:(

By the time you have answered all my questions you will have forgotten the pain and be looking forward to returning the compliment – 5 Iron would be my choice. ;D

PS Why have you just posted your report on The Gardeners World web site? Also don't forget the $1,000 you owe me. ;)

Get Well Soon :)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2008, 11:38:15 AM »
Those trees, I have just learned, are a hazard to health. If they weren't there, any golfer worthy of the name would have yelled FORE!; I would have covered up my head; and life would have gone on.

I am sorry, but any golfer worthy of the name will yell FORE anytime his ball heads towards an area he cannot see!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Dan Kelly

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2008, 12:18:20 PM »

I am sorry, but any golfer worthy of the name will yell FORE anytime his ball heads towards an area he cannot see!

Agree completely. Exactly what I've taught my daughter -- and I've taught her to use her Ethel Merman voice while she's at it!

I'm not sure the players in the group on 15 yesterday morning, one of whom hit me, were golfers worthy of the name. But if they'd seen me there, in the direct line of the shot, I'd guess one of the four might have made some sort of noise.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2008, 12:27:05 PM »
Dan

Sorry to read about your problems – Old Tom was right, you don’t need trees on a course.  8)

But enough of you, what about your three companions, you screwed up their day, did they finish the round, did it affect their score. Also what was the make of the ball, what club was used to get the ball to hit your head, did the guy use a range finder (because he seems to have hit the target) and what nationality was the guy who hit you.  ??? ??? ???

Is your wife OK and are the Kids getting over the shock and finally a very important question did you use a cart on your round today? >:( >:(

By the time you have answered all my questions you will have forgotten the pain and be looking forward to returning the compliment – 5 Iron would be my choice. ;D

PS Why have you just posted your report on The Gardeners World web site? Also don't forget the $1,000 you owe me. ;)

Get Well Soon :)

Thanks, Wayne. The goose-egg is diminishing. The hearing is returning; I hope it all returns, in time.

One of my companions -- my cousin -- left the course and drove me to the E.R. (He thought I could probably stand not getting hit with another evil blow -- namely: a $1,500 ambulance charge.) The other two played on -- and my cousin Charlie returned to the course and played, I think, the last five holes with them. The ball was a Taylormade Black Tour LDP (I think I've got that right. $39.99 per dozen at Golfsmith).

The group behind us (I think I'm right about this; I was ... indisposed when they arrived) were an older man, an older woman, a younger man, and a younger woman (Dad, Mom, daughter, son-in-law?). I don't know which of them hit the ball that found my head -- but I'm guessing it was one of the women, because there was a woman in the right rough on 15 when I walked into the left rough on 5. I saw her; I'm guessing she never saw me.

Wife's excellent -- as always. Kid 1 thought it was funny, as soon as she knew I was OK. Kid 2 cried till I got home, then stopped when she heard the good CAT scan report. (Her teammates thought it was funny when she out for a practice round in the afternoon.)

I'm thinking a 25-degree hybrid, instead of a 5-iron.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2008, 12:32:54 PM »
I am ashamed to hear this one-sided rant against innocent trees, who were busy producing chlorophyll and oxygen [mm-m-m] when some dummy whacked them with a hard sphere, and later others called for THEIR summary execution [lynch mob mentality]. Did anyone even try not to hit the poor veg? What could it do about it, anyway? It is growing as fast as it can, and all they say is KILL! KILL!!

Have you ever had a ball hit a tree instead of you? And remember, humans chose to play their games in a tree's backyard. Go live in some desert or something.

Jeez, talk about blame the victim!  ::)

Doug [Busy hugging an oak ....... aw-w-w]

Peter Wagner

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2008, 12:44:48 PM »
The ball was a Taylormade Black Tour LDP (I think I've got that right. $39.99 per dozen at Golfsmith).

Just as I suspected:
http://www.taylormadegolf.com/product_detail.asp?pID=205&section=gallery#Large

A cheater's line!!!

Karma or coincidence?

- Peter

PS. Oh yeah,  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D, almost forgot!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2008, 12:47:18 PM »
Dan

Good you seem fine, yes the hybrid will do but don't forget the $1,000
you agreed to pay cash, what that in £. :) ;)

Glad you are recovering - get it in the back of the head on a course and then when home she bends your ear for being late - can't win, but can we live without them 8)

Doug uses Carts and aids (electronic type), minds not all there, thinks hes a tree - now there is one tree I love to cut down to size  :o 8) :o

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2008, 01:10:25 PM »

Taylormade Black Tour LDP (I think I've got that right. $39.99 per dozen at Golfsmith).

Perhaps you would have better golf karma if you supported your local pro.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back