News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Wentworth - this course looks fantastic on TV
« on: May 22, 2008, 10:46:48 AM »
Is it as good in person?

Dean Stokes

Re: Wentworth - this course looks fantastic on TV
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 11:54:56 AM »
Dan,

I had the good fortune to caddy for my club professional in this event several years ago now.
It is a fabulous piece of land and the golf course is very good. There is a little more elevation change than you can see on tv and although I have not seen the coverage today there are some fine holes that are never shown on the front nine.
If you get to London I would definitely take the time to play this course.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 12:04:32 PM »
Many aficionados prefer the East Course and there is no denying the West Course's reputation, but it is a little too girt about with trees, and while the houses alongside the course may be impressive you don't get away from them for long. There are excellent holes, and I would cite the 7th and 16th as being excellent shorter par fours, but somehow it always seems to lose out in GCA opinion to Sunningdale, Swinley Forest, The Berkshire, St Georges Hill and Woking among the nearby classics, and also to The Addington, Walton Heath, Royal Ashdown, West Sussex when somewhat more distant heathland courses are considered. perhaps it is beause it is so blatantly commercial and jolly expensive.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 12:11:48 PM »
Interesting interview with Ian Poulter in the Times today saying that he would never play Wentworth again because the putting surfaces were too unpredictable, and it scrwed up his stroke for the American tour (where he plays mostly these days).  Never having been there, I don't know about that.  Anybody do?

Ken McGlynn

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 03:35:15 PM »
I've always felt Wentworth was anointed such lofty status because IMG and Mark McCormack deemed it so. Save for a few holes (the Par 3 14th comes to mind), many are unremarkable and literally quite forgettable. In addition, having played it at least a half dozen times throughout the years, the conditioning of the West course always seemed to be an issue. Poulter has it spot on in regard to the putting surfaces.

In the area, both Sunningdale Old and New are far more desirable to play. You'll be treated warmly, play two classics, and have a more quid in your pocket when the day is done!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 07:48:53 PM »
Ken - great first post; I love your candor.  Welcome!

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 08:05:17 PM »
I've always felt Wentworth was anointed such lofty status because IMG and Mark McCormack deemed it so. Save for a few holes (the Par 3 14th comes to mind), many are unremarkable and literally quite forgettable. In addition, having played it at least a half dozen times throughout the years, the conditioning of the West course always seemed to be an issue. Poulter has it spot on in regard to the putting surfaces.

In the area, both Sunningdale Old and New are far more desirable to play. You'll be treated warmly, play two classics, and have a more quid in your pocket when the day is done!

Ken,

I agree with you on all of your points. Sunningdale by a landslide.

Bob

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 08:21:24 PM »
I've always liked the Castle like club house:

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 05:25:41 AM »
The fairways give me sore eyes!

John Sabino

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 08:55:00 AM »
Dan - no
Author: How to Play the World's Most Exclusive Golf Clubs and Golf's Iron Horse - The Astonishing, Record-Breaking Life of Ralph Kennedy

http://www.top100golf.blogspot.com/

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 09:02:08 AM »
Great course? Yes

Would I pay $570 for a round, not a chance. The 3Ws, The Berkshire, Walton Heath, NZ and even Sunningdale are far far better value.
Cave Nil Vino

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 09:33:29 AM »
Great course? Yes

Would I pay $570 for a round, not a chance. The 3Ws, The Berkshire, Walton Heath, NZ and even Sunningdale are far far better value.

I would agree with Mark re the quality of the course.  I played there recently and started a thread on Wentworth after my visit. It should be in the archives.

I played as a guest of a corporate member.  I would not pay the exhorbitant unaccompanied visitor green fee.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Ken McGlynn

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 05:28:38 PM »
Ken - great first post; I love your candor.  Welcome!

Thanks for the warm welcome Dan! km

Paul_Turner

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 10:49:34 AM »
The tour had a real opportunity to get the course really fast but they've watered the greens overnight.

As for the course, I agree it's not up with the v best on the heath,  but it's much better than the GCA consensus with a nice mix of holes and green sites.  The only bad shot on the course is 17th tee. 

I can't believe all those saplings have been planted on the 8th >:(

Poulter's comments highlight his immaturity and how he isn't ready to win a big one.  And he should be used to bumpy greens at Woburn (and his old club Leighton Buzzard).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 11:32:12 AM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 12:45:07 PM »
The West is a good course, but it fails to distinguish itself in any way - its dime a dozen stuff.  I like the most of the greens sites a ton as they really reward positional play.  However, most of the recent changes have served to reduce the playability of the course - which is a shame.  Bottom line for me, I don't have much desire to revisit and wouldn't even consider paying the green fee. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 04:53:13 PM »
I guess the big green fee is just the result of supply & demand. I always thought the TV holes were the lesser ones, I like from 4 to 13. I suppose it meets much of the modern criteria for tournament golf.. LENGTH... not many Surrey courses can get near 7000 yards and its the main reason i expect why Sunningdale no longer stages European tour . Personally I think Wentworth would like nicer a paler shade of green.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Jeffrey Prest

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 06:51:49 PM »
Interesting interview with Ian Poulter in the Times today saying that he would never play Wentworth again because the putting surfaces were too unpredictable, and it screwed up his stroke for the American tour

For a man who thinks professional golf may eventually be - to paraphrase - 'just Tiger and him', I find this comment really disappointing. Surely, if you're good enough, the idea is that you can get out there and mix it with anyone on any type of course?

I quite like Poulter but if he ends his career Majorless, I will no longer be too surprised.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back