News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Moore

The Drop-shot Hole
« on: May 16, 2008, 10:05:36 AM »
Whenever I read about a "drop-shot" hole, there seems to  be an undertone of derision.  Are these holes generally not acceptable exercises of GCA?  Why or why not?  What holes are the best/worst drop shot holes?  I nominate No. 7 at Western Gailes for "best."

Chris_Clouser

Re: The Drop-shot Hole
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 10:17:18 AM »
Why shouldn't it be accepted?  Because it doesn't require a lot of critical thinking to analyze the hole and figure out the options presented? 

Drop shot holes are great for several reasons.  The thrill of watching your shot all the way to the green, the spectacular views that can be afforded from an elevated location, or just simply an easy way to transition a course through a steep elevation change.  All legitimate reasons to have one.  But the problem is that some architects use them for most or all par threes.  Repetition is not the answer.  But like all things drop shot holes in moderation are not a bad thing.  If so, then the Devil's Cauldron should be reviled by everyone... ;D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 10:41:55 AM by Chris_Clouser »

tlavin

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 10:33:55 AM »
12 at Shoreacres is a good 'un.

George Freeman

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 10:38:48 AM »
Hole 3 - "Devil's Drop"  ThreeTops - TreeTops Resort, Gaylord MI

170 foot drop from tee to green.  Hole plays around 170-200 yds, but you only need to hit your 140 yd club and watch the ball plummet for about 10 seconds.  A truly exhilarating experience/shot!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 10:49:03 AM »
There is, of course, the opposite kind of hole, uphill and blind. There's a great example at Painswick.

Phil Benedict

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 11:01:16 AM »
Fourth at Whippoorwill (Banks), which is also the Short.  Generous target but recovery is treacherous if you miss it. 

Chris Cupit

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 11:04:38 AM »
My home club has a drop shot par 3.  It still isn't my favorite hole although Mike Riley greatly improved it.  It used to be blind :(

Now it is completely visible from the tee.  The drop is about 110 feet.  The back tee of 205 plays to a yardage of 165.  The green is slightly over 10,000 square feet so it doesn't look so small.  It looks like a normal size green from the tee.  The green also has some great movement which you can see even from the tee.

This links to our hole--it's a gallery that takes a few seconds to view and it's the fourth picture to come up:

www.rivermontcountryclub.com/pages/gallery2.html

Ed Oden

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 11:38:21 AM »
Sign me up for #7 at Pebble any day.  Short, tiny green, wind, waves crashing.  Doesn't get any better than that.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 11:58:06 AM »
I've said it before...

But #9 at Lake Chabot is the coolest drop shot hole I've ever played.  Its so steep, you can't even see the green from the tee.  Your playing partner has to watch it or an off-line shot in the trees will likely not be found.

Matt Varney

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 12:04:45 PM »
OK so I am reading this thread and I have just a couple questions?

1. How much is too much drop to the green below?

2. Since the yardage can read long and play much shorter ala Rivermont CC what is the maximum distance you could create a drop shot par 3? Is 240 yards too long?

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 12:05:44 PM »
There are some really good drop shot holes and I think Jim Engh has done a bunch.

At Lakota Canyon, the 3rd hole has a bomerrang green and the 17th has a monster 2nd level. I like the 9th, although I think the green may have settled and the slope needs to be reworked a bit.

On the other hand, Fazio really overdid it at Maroon Creek. I the first par 3 drop shot is #7, and just about every other hole is a drop shot thru the balance of the round.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

archie_struthers

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 12:06:55 PM »
 ;D 8) ;D

Merion West drop shot hole is fabulous...you can throw it on easier than hit it.......perhaps someone has a graphic?

Tim Bert

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 12:07:34 PM »
Someone always says it eventually, so I'll be the guy this time.  Hard to have this conversation without Devil's Cauldron at Banff Springs getting serious consideration.  The drop-shot tee shot in the 15th (formerly #1) at Banff is also pretty cool for a par 4.

For sheer elevation excitement, Sugarloaf in Maine has a couple grand drop-shot tee shots (both par 3 and otherwise), Fox Hopyard in CT has a very steep par 3, and Green Mountain National in Vermont has a few, but I wouldn't put any of these in best-of-class category even though the elevation change is more significant than many others.

Matt Varney

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 12:12:54 PM »
So does anyone have any pictures I took a look at the one on the Rivermont website.

What is ideal 200 yards from the tips playing 100 feet below so it actually plays 160-170?

I would love to see the Merion picture showing the drop shot short hole.  Anybody else got images from places like Devil's Cauldron and Sugarload in Maine?

Kirk Gill

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 12:27:43 PM »
There is a good pic of the drop shot hole at Merion West on Sean Arble's photo tour of that course, back on page 3 or so. I hope he doesn't mind if I "quote" it here:

"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Tim Leahy

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 12:51:06 PM »
I've said it before...
But #9 at Lake Chabot is the coolest drop shot hole I've ever played.  Its so steep, you can't even see the green from the tee.  Your playing partner has to watch it or an off-line shot in the trees will likely not be found.

You beat me to it, but if you like that one, make the drive to La Contenta between Sacramento and Stockton in the middle of nowhere, worth the trip just for the 13th hole, drop shot par 3, 175 from the back, at least as far a drop as Lake Chabot, great views and my most memorable par 3 anywhere, you almost have to hit several shots from the tee every visit.

No. 3 at Spyglass Hill is also a good one. Onshore wind can change the club selection at any time.

No. 6 at Torrey Pines North may be the best view anywhere.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 01:17:27 PM »
I have got some pics of the 11th hole at Riverfront if someone would tell how to uplaod them.

J Sadowsky

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 01:57:40 PM »
There are a couple of good drop shot holes in DC - Laurel Hill has a good one, the TPC at Avenal one is famous, and even the rinky-dinky $25 muni (Langston) has a fun one.

I agree with t he overdoing it part, though.  Golden Horseshoe (Gold) has 4 very good Par 3s viewed in isolation, but they're ALL downhill drop shots.  That certainly was disappointing as a whole.  

Phil McDade

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 03:44:26 PM »
There is, of course, the opposite kind of hole, uphill and blind. There's a great example at Painswick.

Or back to back, as at Shiskine at Blackwaterfoot on the west coast of the Isle of Arran in Scotland. The blind, uphill Crow's Nest (#3, 122 yards), followed by the wonderful drop-shot of The Shelf (#4, 137 yds).

Doug Ralston

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2008, 05:00:32 PM »
Still the best is Eagle Ridge [KY] #13. 325yd par-4 drops 240ft to a fairway the moves l-r with a stream and woods left and a rocky bank right to hold in wide shots. It is a true reachable par-4 with high risk and eagle or triple bogey are certainly within range of even a moderate hitter.

Doug

Phil McDade

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2008, 05:10:59 PM »
Perhaps the most famous drop-shot hole in Wisconsin is the 8th at Peninsula State Park GC, the only state-owned course in the nation's dairyland, in picturesque Door County. All of 69 yards, to a green that's not that big, it's a question of how much you take off a wedge to not fly the green. Pic here (the trees behind the green are deliberately placed there to avoid balls flying on to the road directly behind, which is part of the park and dissects the course):

http://www.peninsulagolf.org/photo8.htm

Is the Dell hole at Erin Hills technically a drop-shot, albiet a blind one?

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2008, 05:13:44 PM »
A clever drop shot hole, it actually offers two holes to play, is found at the lesser known but still impressive Cog Hill #2 (Ravines Course).

http://www.coghillgolf.com/courses/ravines_course_hole_by_hole.asp?h=04

I don't have a photo of it, but in searching the Interweb for one, I came across some validation in an article in the Chicago Sun Times about the delays at Dubsdread:

"On a more positive note, Jemsek was delighted that his No. 2 course, Ravines, was recognized in the recently released PGA Professionals Guide to Travel. It was one of six urban courses nationwide priced at $125 or less to be honored by PGA of America selectors, who also named the fourth hole on the course as the best short par-3 in that category."

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/golf/943997,CST-SPT-local12.article

Tim Leahy

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2008, 06:02:13 PM »
I've said it before...

You beat me to it, but if you like that one, make the drive to La Contenta between Sacramento and Stockton in the middle of nowhere, worth the trip just for the 13th hole, drop shot par 3, 175 from the back, at least as far a drop as Lake Chabot, great views and my most memorable par 3 anywhere, you almost have to hit several shots from the tee every visit.

No. 3 at Spyglass Hill is also a good one. Onshore wind can change the club selection at any time.

No. 6 at Torrey Pines North may be the best view anywhere.

Here's another one I thought of in Reno, Lakeridge

http://www.lakeridgegolf.com/
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2008, 06:22:28 PM »
The 17th hole is the biggest drop shot I ever encountered, it is a par 4, I hit 2 tee balls, caught the 2nd one flush and had an 8 iron into the green, I think about 250 ft.

Hawaii, Lanaii, The E
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Gerry B

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2008, 07:08:08 PM »
As much as i like shoreacres - I agree with Shivas that it is ok but not great - In fact I played there last weekend -that being said  the hole  is situated in a great setting and is sandwiched  between 2 great holes.

The 4th at scarboro even though the yardage is 200 yds is a beauty and is a drop shot of sorts - as good as 7 is at SFGC (the duel)- Tillinghast's 4th at Scarboro is my favorite of the 2.

the 16th at Myopia is a beauty - and to add to the excitement - the ball disappears from view for awhile as the play is short of the green especially with a front pin location - the 3 one shotters at Myopia might be the best set of par 3's out there

the par 3 on the front at the Olympic Club's Ocean course is fun as well

14 at Maidstone is another gem - GREAT SETTING

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back