News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCowan

Re: UNIVERSITY of MICHIGAN GC
« Reply #175 on: July 31, 2015, 12:57:22 PM »
I hear u.  I much prefer the post round brew in the lot at radrick.  Byoc (craft)....   

Mike Schott

« Reply #176 on: July 31, 2015, 02:15:20 PM »
I'm a bit torn. I love the current Prairie style clubhouse but as Ben has told me, it has had issues with flooding. From the pictures, the new clubhouse also is Prairie style architecture. It looks nice.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #177 on: July 31, 2015, 04:12:00 PM »
I don't know what they are actually doing on the course, but I do hope it is at a snails' pace. To the best of my knowledge, they haven't communicated anything with their consulting architect.....If they can't even pay for him to do site visits concerning changes to the course, then good luck with a $15 million clubhouse project. Not surprising, but disappointing.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

BCowan

« Reply #178 on: March 10, 2016, 09:51:10 AM »
Zowie...a guy can now get a beer after his game...how 21st century of the university  ::)

Its clear the renovation is taking a back seat if $15 million is being spent on a house (which is fine btw except for no booze) to be built pronto. 

Ciao

5-7 pines got whacked behind 18 green

You can't have that beer just yet, but they are working on it....

Sean_A

Re: UNIVERSITY of MICHIGAN GC New
« Reply #179 on: March 15, 2016, 05:12:38 AM »
Ben

Are the 1st and 10th holes temporarily effected by the work? 

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 09:15:13 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

BCowan

« Reply #180 on: March 15, 2016, 09:20:17 AM »
Sean,

Not to my knowledge.  #3 and #12 will be new starting holes.  There is to be a makeshift/trailer for a clubhouse located behind the 5th tee in the tennis courts/Gymnastics complex

BCowan

« Reply #181 on: June 23, 2016, 03:02:22 PM »

Brent Carlson

« Reply #182 on: July 30, 2016, 01:29:11 PM »
Here is a nice video on the course.  I haven't seen it in some years, and it looks great with fewer trees, longer views and some native.

http://www.mgoblue.com/collegesportslive/?media=533088

Greg Taylor

« Reply #183 on: July 30, 2016, 04:23:33 PM »
Sean,

Not to my knowledge.  #3 and #12 will be new starting holes.  There is to be a makeshift/trailer for a clubhouse located behind the 5th tee in the tennis courts/Gymnastics complex

Yes. I played there a couple of weeks back. First is now a stiff par 3, 230 yards. The "club house" is now in the green keepers shack. Course was in good condition....!

Enjoyed it immensely.

JStewart

« Reply #184 on: August 01, 2016, 03:14:02 PM »
The heather really improves the look of the course. I imagine it also makes it quite a bit more difficult.

BCowan

« Reply #185 on: August 01, 2016, 09:52:08 PM »
Improving the look is nice but it functions horribly.  It isn't fine fescue and wasn't prepped properly.  It's pissed off a lot of people and ruined many holes.  My regular morning group might boycott, they are basically honorary weekend starters.  Some great green expansion and tree removal in last few years. then they move backwards with native grass not original to my knowledge.  Looks as though pond on 18 won't move to the left in my lifetime.  UM going downhill with this native BS causing longer rounds and more lost balls.  All to get an faux environmental award is my guess

Sean_A

« Reply #186 on: August 02, 2016, 04:36:32 AM »
The hay does look rather close to playing lines here and there.  Why is the rationale for this change?

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 09:15:46 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

JStewart

« Reply #187 on: August 02, 2016, 11:05:50 AM »
Improving the look is nice but it functions horribly.  It isn't fine fescue and wasn't prepped properly.  It's pissed off a lot of people and ruined many holes.  My regular morning group might boycott, they are basically honorary weekend starters.  Some great green expansion and tree removal in last few years. then they move backwards with native grass not original to my knowledge.  Looks as though pond on 18 won't move to the left in my lifetime.  UM going downhill with this native BS causing longer rounds and more lost balls.  All to get an faux environmental award is my guess
That was my original thought as well watching the video. I haven't played U-M in a long time, but I remember a lot of slow rounds and I can only imagine that will be even moreso the case now with the new heather. Maybe if they get enough complaints they will trim it down some and at least make it playable? And what was the thought/rationale with moving the pond left on 18?

Mike Schott

« Reply #188 on: August 02, 2016, 11:21:43 AM »
The long wispy fescue has no place on this course. It's not a links and it's not native. It's a Midwest Parkland course. Great course but the fescue looks like they are trying too hard.

MCirba

« Reply #189 on: August 03, 2016, 02:59:46 PM »
Thanks for the tour and info, folks.

Playing U of Michigan this Friday and can't wait.   The land looks rather compelling and Dr. Mac wasn't quite a bad little archie, was he?
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

BCowan

« Reply #190 on: August 03, 2016, 03:38:48 PM »
That was my original thought as well watching the video. I haven't played U-M in a long time, but I remember a lot of slow rounds and I can only imagine that will be even moreso the case now with the new heather. Maybe if they get enough complaints they will trim it down some and at least make it playable? And what was the thought/rationale with moving the pond left on 18?

Slow rounds are common at UofM, hence I play in first two groups on the weekends when I play there.  They make Rake N Runners look slow. 

The pond on 18 is not original.  With housing built since the course was built there is an issue with water shed.  Pioneer High School which is a 1/2 mile to the west used to be a golf course a long time ago I recall.  They built a watershed underneath the High school front yard and parking lot to deal with the water a few years ago.  The 18th hole originally had a ditch/creek running right in front of the green, I need to find photo and post it.  Below I took a photo on Google Earth showing one option of moving the pond up against the fence of the Private 9 hole outing course to the west.  They could move pond or reconfigure its shape to where cart path is and some of the pines are and leave a 6 yard wide creek in front of the green, while offering as watershed holding area.  The hole would regain more of it's original character and strategic merits.  Unfortunately that isn't going to happen.  The hole in its current order is very tough on woman and weaker players and not of Mackenzie principals.   

What I would do.  There is another suggestion that fell on deaf ears.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 09:39:03 AM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Sean_A

« Reply #191 on: August 03, 2016, 07:18:15 PM »
Ben

To me the reduction of the water hazard on 18 is small beer in the big scheme of things.  How in the heck does the hazard get moved left without an arched across the fairway forced carry with lots of space between the water and the green as was the case when the hole was designed...and I think it was designed by PD Maxwell? Instead of a narrow creek the hazard has been widened...I suspect because the area used to flood. 

I don't like the hole, but I think more important things could be done first.

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 09:16:40 PM by Sean_A »

BCowan

« Reply #192 on: August 03, 2016, 07:57:37 PM »
Sean,

I posted this above too of what I would do, maybe not bring the pond down towards the tee as much, but you get the idea.  Red line part would be fairway and rough.  It's not perfect, but it would be much better imo.  Water has to be prevented from traveling too fast downstream with heavy rains.  This is a very important change.  Keeping with the tree removal and green re-claiming the other top priority.  Along with cutting all the jungle grass they let go.   

Mike Schott

« Reply #193 on: August 03, 2016, 10:14:33 PM »
In addition, 18 is 420 yards long from the 5999 yard white tees. Even with a downhill tee shot, if a hacker like me stripes it, it still leaves 200+ yards to the pin and at least 180 to carry the water. That is a daunting shot for a high handicap golfer. It's by far the worse hole on the course. There's no strategy and no subtlety.

Sean_A

« Reply #194 on: August 04, 2016, 02:57:07 AM »
Ben

Drawing pictures of water all looks fine and dandy, but because it can be drawn doesn't mean it can be easily accomplished.  The water course was never that close to the green.  I suspect there are flooding issues in play. Essentially, the water was extended toward the tee, leaving a large flood plain between the green and the water as designed originally. The creek used to be above ground through the AAGOC course...it is now piped...so water can only flow so fast...hence a retention area on 18. 

Ciao   
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 10:46:13 AM by Sean_A »

BCowan

« Reply #195 on: August 04, 2016, 09:35:20 AM »
Ben

Drawing pictures of water all looks fine and dandy, but because it can be drawn doesn't mean it can be easily accomplished.  The water course was never that close to the green.  I suspect there are flooding issues in play. Essentially, the water was extended toward the tee, leaving a large flood plain between the green and the water as designed originally. The creek used to be above ground through the AACC course...it is now piped...so water can only flow so fast...hence a retention area on 18. 

Ciao   

Sean,

I've seen the photo of the original 18th and I recall from memory that the creek was pretty close to the green.  It was originally a par 5 if I recall and the green to creek relationship was very much like 13 at ANGC.  There isn't flooding issues as much as to make sure water doesn't travel downstream to quickly.  It is a retention area and I don't recall when it was put in and what architect.  I think it was a poor design implementation and an easier fix then you think.  Of course it would cost a little money, but UofM is the Federal Reserve of Michigan.  ;)

Water travels to its lowest point.  Of course some drainage tile would be installed in my proposed area.   

Sean_A

« Reply #196 on: August 04, 2016, 11:40:26 AM »
Ben

I suspect when Pioneer was built on the old Stadium Hills course in the early 50s that the retention area was built.  However, it could have happened when Crisler Arena (Center  ???) was built in the late 60s.  That would have created a load of hard standing which water would run over quite quickly.

I have seen an aerial prior to the school's existence and the creek is set well back of the green, very similar to the fairway area of today. The wings of the water have been brought in tighter taking away space short of the bunkers.   

I think 18 was always a long par 4 and that its yardage has been extended for a back tee at about 450. 

Your proposal would cost serious money and still leave a forced carry.  Its a lovely idea, but not anything like a priority even assuming they could get planning permission.

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 11:51:24 AM by Sean_A »

BCowan

« Reply #197 on: April 18, 2017, 08:44:06 PM »
Some photos of the new clubhouse

Brent Carlson

« Reply #198 on: April 19, 2017, 01:13:05 AM »

What do you think Ben?  Kind of looks like a WW2 fortification on the French coast.  Maybe more endearing in person?

Some photos of the new clubhouse

Sean_A

« Reply #199 on: April 19, 2017, 06:43:34 AM »
I don't think the building is hedious, but it looks odd in the setting.  The uni basically used the uni design model as seen for other new buildings.  I Preferred the old building, but the inside was dire....basically too uni functional without any sense space. 

How is the course coming along?

I added the two maps dicussed earlier in this thread into the tour.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,34505.0.html

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 08:53:05 AM by Sean_A »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back