News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brett Hochstein

Re: UNIVERSITY of MICHIGAN GC
« Reply #150 on: September 23, 2011, 12:03:37 AM »
Great to hear.  I can't believe the 6th was 10K sq ft!  Very excited to see what happens with it.  How do you plan the expansion? Would you tie in with what is there in the surrounds or rebuild and tweak? Are you thinking about making it easier to get from section to section around the bunker via slopes?

I've been hoping for a restoration here for years; here's hoping for the green light.

Go Blue!
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

PCCraig

« Reply #151 on: July 10, 2012, 11:07:32 AM »
Hi All,

Sorry for the delay.  Anyhow, I have prepared a report for the University and we had a meeting to present and discuss the ideas.  No decison on schedule of what will happen and when, as there are still some follow-up meetings to determine that.

As to the main adjustments to the course, we will be looking at restoring the green margins back out to their original sizes.  For instance, the  famous 6th with its two-tier, wraparound green is about half the size of its original 10,000+ size.  Looking back at the aerials to 1937, the back half of the green is substantially larger and will be awesome once it is restored, offering lots of pins, more fun options, and much improved agronomics with the spread of wear.  Bunker style will follow MacKenzie's tenets again, instead of the generic, simplified bunkering that is evident on much of the course.  Tree management will continue to be an issue, with some trees already removed last spring (spruces behind #5G, #7G and #10G) and pruning taking place.  The teams have a new practice facility that was begun before I was involved - new building, range redone, etc. for their use only, not the public's.  Due to the use of the course for college players, I have looked for ways to lengthen the course and provide them with some additional length and I have a solution that will bring the course over 7000 yards at par 70 and require them to hit something besides a W-8i into a par four.  These tees will be for their use and tournaments, not for everyday use, but they add length in the right spots to challenge players and not affect the regular tees as well as keep the character of the course intact and fun to play for the average player.

I will update more as decisions are made in the near future.

GO BLUE!!!!
Mike

Any updates on the restoration work at the U of M course?
H.P.S.

Jud_T

« Reply #152 on: July 10, 2012, 11:18:03 AM »
Pat,

Last I heard they just had a long term Master Plan done.  Not sure if any work's started but I'll be up this fall to check it out...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #153 on: July 10, 2012, 08:28:05 PM »
Nothing has started yet.

Chris

Sean_A

« Reply #154 on: July 11, 2012, 06:33:32 PM »
I am told a plan of suggestions is in and that UofM is farting around with it.  Maybe some work will commence in late 2013.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #155 on: July 11, 2012, 06:38:13 PM »
I was told it would be the home to luxury boxes/trailers for boosters to entertain in while parking before the football games.  They will play as free drop areas during those others times of the year when football is not being played.

Brent Carlson

« Reply #156 on: July 11, 2012, 08:40:46 PM »
I still don't know where Mike is going to find the length to make it 7k yards.  The course is going to be great after he's done.

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #157 on: July 11, 2012, 08:56:10 PM »
I was told it would be the home to luxury boxes/trailers for boosters to entertain in while parking before the football games.  They will play as free drop areas during those others times of the year when football is not being played.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!!!!   ;D

The long range plan is done but no work is started, as we have to fit into the University's schedule and they pretty much book the course with functions throughout the season and have team use in spring and fall for practice, tournaments, etc.  Hopefully, we will be looking at starting the work in fall 2013.

Cheers,
Mike

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #158 on: July 12, 2012, 12:37:16 AM »
Mike thanks for taking that in the fun it was intended.

Niall Hay

« Reply #159 on: July 16, 2012, 10:08:07 PM »

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!!!!   ;D

The long range plan is done but no work is started, as we have to fit into the University's schedule and they pretty much book the course with functions throughout the season and have team use in spring and fall for practice, tournaments, etc.  Hopefully, we will be looking at starting the work in fall 2013.

Cheers,
Mike

Any details on what will be updated? Any update as to the type of work?

Sean_A

« Reply #160 on: October 29, 2012, 07:31:23 AM »
I don't know if the recent tree clearing behind #5 is part of the overall plan, but it is a great start.  I was lucky enough to play the course on a glorious day a few weeks back.  PLEASE SEE UPDATED PIX ON THE FIRST PAGE.  The course is in dire need of a maintenance plan (and Super) which highlights the strength of the design - namely the greens.  Like at Blackwell earlier in the year, the greens are islands amid a sea of rough.  This presentation is terribly disappointing.  I would also say some hard decisions concerning trees will need to be undertaken.  Many more could come out if the powers that be really want this design to be all it can be.  I suspect many will stay in the name of defending par (huge trees down the left of #3 to name one area) and for protection.  Hopefully the renovation will fully address the issues which hold Michigan back.

Ciao   
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jud_T

« Reply #161 on: February 21, 2015, 02:23:05 PM »
what's the latest update here?  Does Brandon leaving affect the timetable?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

BCowan

« Reply #162 on: February 21, 2015, 02:31:02 PM »
The clubhouse is next on the agenda.  They will start this fall.  Holes #3 and #12 will serve as one and ten tee for a year.  A trailer will be the clubhouse/golf shop by the Gymnastics/Tennis area till Fall of 16'.  The course was a long term plan.  #6 has reclaimed the back of the green and tree removal.  Native added there and behind #3 green. Course was in really good shape last year.  

Hole #6
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,57424.0.html

1800sqft added to #5 green, 50% increase.
http://umgolfcourse.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2015-01-01T00:00:00-05:00&updated-max=2016-01-01T00:00:00-05:00&max-results=1
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 03:26:13 PM by BCowan »

Brent Carlson

« Reply #163 on: February 21, 2015, 07:38:55 PM »

Jud_T

« Reply #164 on: February 21, 2015, 08:56:38 PM »
Brent,

If you read the entire thread, Mike talks about recapturing the original putting surfaces.

Mike Schott

« Reply #165 on: February 22, 2015, 06:30:31 PM »
The clubhouse is next on the agenda.  They will start this fall.  Holes #3 and #12 will serve as one and ten tee for a year.  A trailer will be the clubhouse/golf shop by the Gymnastics/Tennis area till Fall of 16'.  The course was a long term plan.  #6 has reclaimed the back of the green and tree removal.  Native added there and behind #3 green. Course was in really good shape last year.  

Hole #6

http://umgolfcourse.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2015-01-01T00:00:00-05:00&updated-max=2016-01-01T00:00:00-05:00&max-results=1

If I recall Ben, you told me they are tearing down the old clubhouse. Is this correct? If so, that's a shame. It's very much a Prairie Style design, low key and very pretty.

BCowan

« Reply #166 on: February 24, 2015, 11:09:23 AM »

Hole #6

If I recall Ben, you told me they are tearing down the old clubhouse. Is this correct? If so, that's a shame. It's very much a Prairie Style design, low key and very pretty.

Yes, as of last summer that was the plan and i recall of seeing some press articles about it.  I don't know if athletic director leaving changed things.  Being that the clubhouse is right across from the stadium I'm not surprised.  The basement floods when there are heavy rains.  I look at all the positive changes on the course year in and year out def. out weight a big clubhouse.  Only downside is if they start charging Duke U. weekend rates :'( :'( :'(

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #167 on: February 24, 2015, 08:11:08 PM »
I wonder if the green expansion impacts the camouflaging that appears from #5 tee? (#6 greenside bunker appearing in the horizon which appears to be in back of #5 green while you stand on #5 tee)
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

BCowan

« Reply #168 on: February 25, 2015, 04:06:54 PM »
Gen Taylor,

I can only presume that it would enhance it.  The 5th green reclaiming looks (through the photo) to bleed into the rough, making the green side bunker on 6 more visible or seamless.   Plus with the 6th green size 5800sqft or so now out of 10,000 sqft it originally was I'm curious as to how close the current #6th green right back bunker is to the original bunker.  I thank you for pointing out the camouflage standing on 5 tee in the past, very cool.  I'll give you a full report as soon as the snow melts!

BCowan

« Reply #169 on: July 29, 2015, 09:40:54 PM »
The new clubhouse is going to be built.  A cool $15 mil...   

http://www.gam.org/?News&newsID=776

JStewart

« Reply #170 on: July 30, 2015, 07:29:05 AM »
The new clubhouse is going to be built.  A cool $15 mil...   

http://www.gam.org/?News&newsID=776

Awesome. This is long overdue.
Great course and a great university!

BCowan

« Reply #171 on: July 31, 2015, 12:19:20 PM »
A little OT,

A wild Turkey is attacking students on north campus this week...  it supposidly cornered a few students. 

Sean_A

« Reply #172 on: July 31, 2015, 12:37:58 PM »
$15 million sounds a ton when the course renovation is moving forward at a snail's pace.  Most important though, will alcohol be served in the house?

Ciao

BCowan

« Reply #173 on: July 31, 2015, 12:42:59 PM »
Yes, I believe so with the alcohol.  I wouldn't call restoration snails pace, much faster than many with tree removal and green reclaiming.  New tournament tees on 13 and another hole.

Sean_A

« Reply #174 on: July 31, 2015, 12:50:28 PM »
Yes, I believe so with the alcohol.  I wouldn't call restoration snails pace, much faster than many with tree removal and green reclaiming.  New tournament tees on 13 and another hole.

Zowie...a guy can now get a beer after his game...how 21st century of the university  ::)

Its clear the renovation is taking a back seat if $15 million is being spent on a house (which is fine btw except for no booze) to be built pronto. 

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back