News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Wagner

Pete Dye in the Hall of Fame
« on: May 07, 2008, 11:00:26 AM »
Here's a link to the story on Pete Dye being elected into the World Golf Hall of Fame:

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news?slug=ap-halloffame&prov=ap&type=lgns

Dye joins Donald Ross, Alister Mackenzie and Robert Trent Jones Sr. as archies in the Hall.

John Moore II

Re: Pete Dye in the Hall of Fame
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 12:17:15 PM »
I can agree with Dye being in the hall. He has designed some very good courses, that work as well for professionals as for amateurs. In his review of Sawgrass, Ran said:
"Love it or hate it, TPC at Sawgrass had the most immediate impact of any course built in a 60 year period -- from Augusta National (1933) to Sand Hills (1995)."
Building a course like that, by itself, is nearly enough to warrant consideration for the hall. He has also designed and built many other great courses. He is certainly deserving of being inducted into the Hall.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 12:20:22 PM »
He should have been in there a long time ago -- before Vijay Singh anyway.

When is the official ceremony?  I've got to plan on attending.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 12:27:49 PM »
Do architects get to decide what hat to wear much the same as at Cooperstown?  Dye has a tough choice.

John Moore II

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 12:30:28 PM »
John Kav-Which hat would you wear?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 12:34:13 PM »
John Kav-Which hat would you wear?

If Dye, I would wear either Crooked Stick or sell the rights to the highest bidder.  Selling the rights is why baseball players can no longer choose which hat to wear on their own.

Peter Wagner

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 12:37:12 PM »
He should have been in there a long time ago -- before Vijay Singh anyway.

When is the official ceremony?  I've got to plan on attending.

Tom,
According to the article Pete will be inducted on Nov. 10.
- Peter

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 03:18:51 PM »
I heard Peter Kessler interview Pete Dye this morning on XM 146. Dye said that Seth Raynor was the golf architect who has influenced him the most.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

TaylorA

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 04:23:38 PM »
I heard Peter Kessler interview Pete Dye this morning on XM 146. Dye said that Seth Raynor was the golf architect who has influenced him the most.

Raynor the engineer? That makes me giddy.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 04:26:20 PM »
Not to steal away from Pete Dye's much deserved nod to the hall, but was there any discussion on Tillinghast for inclusion?  I am boggled how one with his resume can be left out.

David Stamm

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 04:33:21 PM »
Not to steal away from Pete Dye's much deserved nod to the hall, but was there any discussion on Tillinghast for inclusion?  I am boggled how one with his resume can be left out.

...or Colt, Thomas, and a host of others. No offense to Dye or RTJ, but AWT and the ones I mentioned, IMHO, should've been in before these 2.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Ian Andrew

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 05:55:44 PM »

...or Colt, Thomas, and a host of others. No offense to Dye or RTJ, but AWT and the ones I mentioned, IMHO, should've been in before these 2.
[/quote]

I would rather they get Pete in when he is alive than worry about the others who will all eventually make it in. I doubt any of them will complain about the order.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 08:25:02 PM »
If it wasn't done in America, then it can be ignored in the Golf Hall of Fame, even worse bias than the laughable Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Dave_Miller

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 09:29:24 PM »

To the Treehouse:
Am I understanding this correctly.  No Tillinghast, No Flynn, No Raynor, No Colt.  Pete Dye may be deserving and he did some good courses but he also did some that were awful such as the original design of Carmel Valley :(
Not sure why some others are left out.  ???
Archies help out here.
Best
Dave

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 10:57:39 PM »
Dye said that Seth Raynor was the golf architect who has influenced him the most.

This is the thing that has always puzzlem.  Reading his book and his appreciation for such major classics and then he builds these geometric crazy designs?  I've never understood the guy.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 05:35:11 AM »
Dave:

The original version of the Hall of Fame, in Pinehurst, didn't induct any golf architects at all, as memory serves.  (Unless you believe that Old Tom and Mr. Nicklaus were inducted for their contributions to design ... but I don't think these were mentioned on their plaques.)

Rightly or wrongly, they are starting to include architects now, one every year or two.  Mr. Dye may or may not be #4 in history -- it'll take another fifty years to judge -- but he was certainly the best of his era and I think it's nice to see them honor him while he is still around to accept personally.  As Ian says, neither Colt nor Tillinghast is likely to stand up and object to having to wait another year or two.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 10:23:14 AM »

To the Treehouse:
Am I understanding this correctly.  No Tillinghast, No Flynn, No Raynor, No Colt.  Pete Dye may be deserving and he did some good courses but he also did some that were awful such as the original design of Carmel Valley :(
Not sure why some others are left out.  ???
Archies help out here.
Best
Dave

How can anyone take seriously a golfing hall of fame which ignores the above individuals but includes Bob Hope and Bing Crosby?
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Scott Weersing

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 11:01:46 AM »

I like to try to predict the future.

So what are the odds of other architects being elected to the hall of fame?

Here are my odds:

Tom Fazio 2 to 1
Tom Doak 3 to 1
Rees Jones 10 to 1
David M. Kidd 20 to 1
Capt George Thomas 10 to 1
Mike Strantz 50 to 1
Gil Hanse 10 to 1
Tom Weiskopf 10 to 1

The next architect to be chosen will be.........

Tom Fazio

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back