News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Russell

Re: Colorado's Gems
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2008, 01:43:22 PM »
Uh, guess I didn't realize how many options I had, guys, thanks. Looks like Georgia needs to bulk up its public golf scene. So far, I've got:

Denver:
Riverdale Dunes
Fossil Trace
Murphy Creek/Buffalo Run
Bear Dance
Wellshire
Dirt Golf at Mira Vista (I'm thinking Big Break: Doak's Interns)  ;D

Out-of-town:
Then Lakota, Devil's Thumb, Redlands, Antler, Walking Stick if I get the money and the time. And about 10 more if get that high-class mountain golf urge. Whew. That should last me awhile.

The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs, which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum or bourbon in it.” -Lewis Grizzard

Michael Robin

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2008, 02:54:24 AM »
Adam -

Send me an IM re Ballyneal.

Peter Zarlengo

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2008, 12:11:14 PM »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Green Valley Ranch as a quality public option, that will be close to where Adam and I are working.

Adam - We'll talk when you get out to Denver, we'll hopefully have plenty of time to talk and play.  When are you going to be arriving?

Brad Swanson

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2008, 12:27:08 PM »
Hi Peter,
   I used to play GVR regularly after it first opened and I thought it was a good value and a good test as well.  It has undergone some changes since I last played there (around 2004) and I'm not sure if those changes were for the better or worse, hence I left it off my list.

Cheers,
Brad

Tim Pitner

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2008, 02:33:05 PM »
Peter,

I believe Doug Wright did mention Green Valley Ranch. 

Personally, I don't rate GVR especially highly and would put it in the same general category (Doak 5s, approximately) as the likes of Murphy Creek, Buffalo Run and my hidden gem, Heritage at Westmoor.  I happen to prefer all 3 of those to GVR. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 02:53:35 PM by Tim Pitner »

Doug Wright

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2008, 06:26:30 PM »
Adam, Peter and Mike,

Tim Pitner and I have been discussing an educational outing at Riverdale Dunes with you three interns and hopefully other local GCAers.  Assuming, of course, that those mean and nasty bosses give you any time off for extracurricular activities. Details to follow.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Brendan Dolan

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2008, 11:35:49 AM »
Anything in the extreme Northeast of the state that is worth taking a look at besides Ballyneal?

Brendan

Mike Bowline

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2008, 10:10:07 PM »
If you are in the extreme Northeast part of CO, then you are only about an hour from Gothenburg, NE home of Wild Horse GC. Also Bayside in Brule, NE and Heritage Hills GC in McCook  are worthy investments of your time.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2008, 11:39:59 PM »
No love for the Mad Russian in Milliken?

I played Grandote in 1995, conditioning was so-so coming off the winter closure. I remember mounding features looked to be hastily finished, either by time or money restraints. On a gas used vs course memorability test, this course failed.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 11:47:33 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2008, 02:08:00 AM »
Congratulations Adam,
You might need to amend your tag line.

I'd play courses by architects that might be able to hire you when your internship is over - assuming Tom doesn't have room for you.

Golf be damned - your in the business now - you can still have fun - but only if it also includes some aspect of the business too.

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2008, 02:50:43 PM »
Adam,

There are some truly great courses in CO, especially in the mountains if you'd like to leave the hustle and bustle of Aurora/Denver.  The superintendent community here is great, and with a call ahead most will be more than accomodating.  If heading to the mountains, take a look at a course in Grand County called Grand Elk.  It is a stellar design by Mr. Tripp Davis, and is in perfect condition come late summer, early fall  ;)
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Tim Leahy

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2008, 03:17:08 PM »
Adam,

There are some truly great courses in CO, especially in the mountains if you'd like to leave the hustle and bustle of Aurora/Denver.  The superintendent community here is great, and with a call ahead most will be more than accomodating.  If heading to the mountains, take a look at a course in Grand County called Grand Elk.  It is a stellar design by Mr. Tripp Davis, and is in perfect condition come late summer, early fall  ;)

Pole Creek is nice in that area too.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Brendan Dolan

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2008, 06:24:18 PM »
Mike, just curious how far are both Bayside and Wildhorse from Ballyneal?  I thought Wildhorse was more like three hours from Ballyneal so I was going to try and play it on my way out, but if it is quite a bit closer I might just have to catch it in the late afternoon one day.  If you don't mind tell me a bit more about Heritage Hills GC? Thanks,
Brendan 

Mike Bowline

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2008, 09:53:45 PM »
Brendon, MapQuest states 146 miles (2 hrs 6 min) from Holyoke, CO to Gothenburg, NE. Bayside is located about halfway inbetween the two.

Richard Boult

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2009, 10:07:53 AM »
Added to http://delicious.com/golfclubatlas/Recommendations+Colorado

I read this thread last year before a trip to CO and ended up playing Redlands Mesa, Lakota Canyon, Breckenridge, and Haymaker. Wanted to play the Norman course but couldn't get on.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2009, 10:34:07 AM »
Art:

Curious to know your feelings on the courses that were recommended.

Which ones did you enjoy more / less, etc, etc ?

Thanks ...

matt

Richard Boult

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2009, 11:49:45 AM »
Art: Curious to know your feelings on the courses that were recommended.

I drove in from the west on I-70 and started with Redlands then Lakota. I then made my way up to Steamboat and played Haymaker, followed by a couple nights in the Rabbit Ears and Flat Tops wilderness areas, then headed south to Breckenridge.  I also played Eagle Ranch somewhere in there. These were my first experiences playing at altitude. Club selection was a challenge for me the entire trip. The higher I went, the harder I started swinging my driver, and the higher my scores went. I got a little carried away at Haymaker, but had fun crushing those drives.

Redlands Mesa was breathtaking. I liked the setting and layout and enjoyed my first experience with such extreme elevation changes. I'm not sure I'd want to play a course like this on a regular basis, partly because it's unwalkable, but it added an element of fun that I don't experience on my home course. I was however surprised by how soft the they keep those fairways and greens in the high desert. I'll definitely play this course again next time I visit.

Lakota Canyon is about 1000 feet higher in elevation that Redlands Mesa, and again, Engh's huge elevation changes stood out most. I enjoyed the course, but IMO, Redlands Mesa had a better layout and was more memorable.

My favorites were Haymaker and Breckenridge. Both were walkable, set in valleys surrounded by nearby mountains. I could play these courses every day.

Haymaker was more of a links-style layout with a surplus on penal native grasses. I especially liked the green complexes here -- large and undulating and protected by lacy bunkers and grassy mounds. Located at nearly 7000 feet, I got in a lot of trouble here, swinging for the fences, and finding thick deep rough instead. Somehow, I shot a 75 at Lakota Canyon and followed that up with a 92 at Haymaker! I'll be back to Haymaker just to redeem myself.

Thick native grasses were abundant at Breckenridge as well, with plenty of bushes and trees along meandering creeks bordering fairways. I remember the Bear course as being pretty generous off the tee and easier to walk and easier to score. Elk and Beaver were more demanding off the tee. I think it was Elk that had more elevation changes and was more difficult to walk.

The hole that I remember most was Elk's steep uphill 274 yard par 4 6th. I drove the ball over the green and nearly ended up in the forest well above and beyond the green. I made a Phil-like lob shot back down to the green and 2-putted for par. The next day, I played Elk again and landed the green with a 4-wood and 2-putted for birdie. I also remember a long sweeping downhill par 5 that entices a risky attempt to reach in 2, and an extremely challenging downhill dogleg right par 4 that required a precise downhill drive followed by an approach over a gulch to a tight green with severe downslopes on 3 sides (not quite like 14 at Bandon Trails, but similar).

Needless to say, I loved golf in Colorado!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back