News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Davis

Re: Has Bandon Dunes been "dumbed down" too much?
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2017, 08:56:10 AM »
JK,

You really need to jump on the next plane and come over to visit me in Continental Europe. Even the very private clubs do their work with 5-8 man teams and course maintenance is just really rough compared to any of Tom's courses that I've seen which is now quite a few.

There is still great golf but not with the over the top manicured perfection that you have grown to expect from the high end privates you frequent. Plus on top of that all his courses I've seen are designed to be walking only so carts their should be blasphemy. Unless you are handicapped of course.

Let me know your flight information and I'll be there to pick you up.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2017, 07:38:28 PM »

Have you ever played a Doak course in great condition? Seriously, I'd love to hear of an example.

P.S.  Pacific Dunes is in pretty good shape for a course that's done 45,000 rounds per year for the last 16 years.  Remember, Joel is playing it after five months of heavy play when the grass isn't growing and divots can't heal.  I'd like to see the course that looks in great shape after that.

Have to agree with Tom.  Again they have had 60 inches of rain this winter including 15 in the last month.  They had 4 inches of snow a few weeks ago which for the first time all courses were closed.

The 11th green is much improved from last year. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2017, 07:47:40 PM »
Design wise what's different about the 11th green than the other 50 or so greens on the property?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2017, 05:23:51 PM »
Design wise what's different about the 11th green than the other 50 or so greens on the property?

I believe the 11th green is one of the most exposed to the weather, and perhaps sea spray. Why would you think it is different design wise?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2017, 05:28:56 PM »
It's also the smallest green on the course.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2017, 09:27:12 PM »
It's also the smallest green on the course.

It's also the shortest hole, which means the most ball marks.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2017, 09:46:17 PM »
I played Bandon Dunes yesterday for the first time in quite a few years.  Seems like I'm always drawn to the other courses.

First, I had forgot how great it really is.  There is a terrific collection of holes and variety.

The course is in really good condition considering they have had 60 inches of rain in the last few months.  Bandon Trails was closed and Pacific Dunes which I played the day before is not in that great of condition.

Joel, I just played Pacific on the 21st and the conditioning was pretty damn good. There is some standing water throughout many of the courses due to the extreme amounts of rain they have received. Regardless, I'm not sure what your problem was with the maintenance. It is still March by the way!!!

Scott Weersing

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2017, 08:39:17 AM »
I was at Bandon at the end of February and the courses still played fast and firm despite all the rain and standing water in the low spots. For example, a bunker on no. 3 at Pacific Dunes had a foot a water in it. I had not seen that before. One surprise was how good the greens were at Pacific Dunes. The course gets a lot of play and yet the greens were great, better than I remember them.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back